VW deisel?? wtf... | Page 18 | GTAMotorcycle.com

VW deisel?? wtf...

My guess is they would start around the number the insurance company would give you if your car was totaled.
Some call-in on a radio show was thinking she should get all her money back. Funny.

I think the answer will be somewhere between those two numbers. Obviously 100% back doesn't make sense (Unless you bought your car around last August, then you could argue that you tried to return it immediately and vw stalled).

Offering you straight depreciated value would drive me away from vw forever. I keep my cars for at least 10 years, depreciation at the beginning is brutal, but it averages out at the tail. If they offered me straight depreciated value (and I had to take it or fix the car), this would be the most expensive car I have ever owned. Over my typical cycle, depreciation works out to less ~$0.10/km, VW needs to get close to this to have a chance of avoiding horrendous lawsuits.

I think the answer will be somewhere between those two numbers. Obviously 100% back doesn't make sense (Unless you bought your car around last August, then you could argue that you tried to return it immediately and vw stalled).

Offering you straight depreciated value would drive me away from vw forever. I keep my cars for at least 10 years, depreciation at the beginning is brutal, but it averages out at the tail. If they offered me straight depreciated value (and I had to take it or fix the car), this would be the most expensive car I have ever owned. Over my typical cycle, depreciation works out to less ~$0.10/km, VW needs to get close to this to have a chance of avoiding horrendous lawsuits.

what if they offered you depreciated value based on mileage travelled ? Perhaps a sliding scale on the way to 250k ?

Regardless what formula they will come up with, this will be the least expensive vehicle I have ever driven or will ever drive.

Unbelievable price for them to pay. I am still shocked that this is what they will do to be completely honest.

Let me tell you, the DPF problem is a pain in the ***! Just hope you would not have to deal with this issue where your car's DPF clogs up to a point where it no longer regens. Quite the stressful dilemma.

Not sure what makes it stressful for you. The DPF clogs, regen stops and throws a code. DPF is under warranty up to 150K. They will replace DPF free of charge. The only stress I can see you might have is if the DPF fails after emissions related warranty expires. It would cost probably north of 2K to replace with OEM part. The labour costs are very high due to the location of DPF.

Anyway, i'm curious as to what VW's plan is for our cars. I see either them performing a really expensive fix for all TDI owners, or some sort of buyback program. I have a problem with both scenarios.

If I decide to have the "fix" performed, and subsequently causes other problems with the car, will VW perform these fixes for free? Will the mileage of my car suffer greatly? I bought this car for one purpose and that's to save on fuel.

If I opt for the buyback, how much will they actually give? I've paid off my car last year and really don't feel like paying monthly payments again on a vehicle. What sort of incentive can they convince owners who no longer pay monthly payments?

Sounds like you missed on the recent development. I am puzzled with your last sentence. I cannot see how you can loose here ..... 1) you get fair market value + 5K (USD, CAD exchange rate not specified yet ...) to get rid of the car (where else would you get that 7 year old vehicle (assuming you finance for 6 years, earliest model is 09 ...) .... 2) you get 5K + let them fix your vehicle (if there's an approved fix ever ... in the end this might not be an option ... there's 3 distinct versions of TDI between 09-15 .... I expect some if them not be repairable in the end) ... 3) you keep driving the car without a fix and zero money received from VW ... this will ultimately not be an option in Ontario, because the drive clean will get you sooner or later (unless they finally scrap the non-sense ... but I guess chances of that are slim, since they feel impowered now even more with this scandal). They will force you to get the fix done, so you might as well exercise 2)

So depends where you fall in as far as driving needs. If you don't want to get a new car within two years, you have only one option really. If you do, you will have two of them ... :)

Not sure what makes it stressful for you. The DPF clogs, regen stops and throws a code. DPF is under warranty up to 150K. They will replace DPF free of charge. The only stress I can see you might have is if the DPF fails after emissions related warranty expires. It would cost probably north of 2K to replace with OEM part. The labour costs are very high due to the location of DPF.

Sounds like you missed on the recent development. I am puzzled with your last sentence. I cannot see how you can loose here ..... 1) you get fair market value + 5K (USD, CAD exchange rate not specified yet ...) to get rid of the car (where else would you get that 7 year old vehicle (assuming you finance for 6 years, earliest model is 09 ...) .... 2) you get 5K + let them fix your vehicle (if there's an approved fix ever ... in the end this might not be an option ... there's 3 distinct versions of TDI between 09-15 .... I expect some if them not be repairable in the end) ... 3) you keep driving the car without a fix and zero money received from VW ... this will ultimately not be an option in Ontario, because the drive clean will get you sooner or later (unless they finally scrap the non-sense ... but I guess chances of that are slim, since they feel impowered now even more with this scandal). They will force you to get the fix done, so you might as well exercise 2)

So depends where you fall in as far as driving needs. If you don't want to get a new car within two years, you have only one option really. If you do, you will have two of them ... :)

Let me clarify. I had an issue with my DPF due to a boost leak. As a result, my DPF clogged up to a point where it would no longer regen. And no, DPF is not covered under warranty until 150k. I believe the emissions warranty doesn't even cover the DPF. So I was pretty much screwed. I was either gonna have to go to a DPF cleaning facility where it required me to remove the whole DPF itself, then deliver it there, or replace the entire unit altogether. Thank God for Independent Tuning for having found a way to clean the soot using a spray and not having to remove the unit itself!

And yes, I must've news on the recent development. Looks like i'll have some options to think about.

Let me clarify. I had an issue with my DPF due to a boost leak. As a result, my DPF clogged up to a point where it would no longer regen. And no, DPF is not covered under warranty until 150k. I believe the emissions warranty doesn't even cover the DPF. So I was pretty much screwed. I was either gonna have to go to a DPF cleaning facility where it required me to remove the whole DPF itself, then deliver it there, or replace the entire unit altogether. Thank God for Independent Tuning for having found a way to clean the soot using a spray and not having to remove the unit itself!

And yes, I must've news on the recent development. Looks like i'll have some options to think about.

You are 100% wrong thinking that DPF is not covered under the new vehicle emissions warranty. Mine has cracked and failed at about 95K and was fully replaced, under warranty by VW.

They must've just changed it because when I asked VW about it, they said it was NOT covered. My DPF went out earlier this year.

You are 100% wrong thinking that DPF is not covered under the new vehicle emissions warranty. Mine has cracked and failed at about 95K and was fully replaced, under warranty by VW.

It could have been under goodwill, from the outside sometimes the customer doesn't see the paperwork that happened. I worked for an equipment dealer in the past and good customers got many things covered well past the typical warranty period. Hell, it went far enough that I think some of the warranties were intentionally short so they could extract money from the bad customers as almost everybody got approved for common problems.

It could have been under goodwill, from the outside sometimes the customer doesn't see the paperwork that happened. I worked for an equipment dealer in the past and good customers got many things covered well past the typical warranty period. Hell, it went far enough that I think some of the warranties were intentionally short so they could extract money from the bad customers as almost everybody got approved for common problems.

What exactly makes a customer bad or good? Paying a lot for every scheduled "maintenance"?

It's right in my manual book I received with the car when new. I don't know anyone who has paid their own money for DPF in Canada. It was pretty straight forward ... "Your DPF is shot, needs to be replaced." In a couple of days it was. I did a couple of oil changes there before, nothing dramatic ... oh, and three exhaust flapper replacements .. LOL ... under warranty as well.

if you are a prick to the staff then you are bad customer
if you are cordial and buy them snacks or pizza then you are good
simple human interaction skills

treat ppl nice and they tend to respond in kind

Well then, VW are a bunch of liars because I asked them specifically about the warranty on my DPF...and they flatly said no warranty.

if you are a prick to the staff then you are bad customer
if you are cordial and buy them snacks or pizza then you are good
simple human interaction skills

treat ppl nice and they tend to respond in kind

How often are you in the dealership for staff to get to know you even if you bring snacks/coffee? For big ticket items does the front counter staff even have a say in it?

How often are you in the dealership for staff to get to know you even if you bring snacks/coffee? For big ticket items does the front counter staff even have a say in it?

don't know, don't care, figure it out as it pertains to your situation

Well then, VW are a bunch of liars because I asked them specifically about the warranty on my DPF...and they flatly said no warranty.

DPF is part of the emissions system and there's no reason why it should be excluded for some magical reason.

I would tend to think that the person answering your question didn't know WTF a DPF was and just said "not covered" by default.

I don't think you have ever asked VW directly, but you call them liars? You asked VW dealer and they told you "no" ... two very different things.

I have no idea what exactly where the circumstances of your car, so it's impossible to judge. But there's never too late to really involve VW. It will not cost you anything to open a customer complaint with them ... but a word of advise, don't call them liars, that will get you nowhere, as far as your case in concerned.

I do know know for a fact that besides DPF there's another filter, which name I do not recall right now. When DPF is shot, usually VW recommends to replace both DPF and the other filter. Th caveat is that they don't cover this auxiliary filter under the same warranty. Which to me is silly, especially considering that the smaller filter can fail due to malfunctioning DPF. I was having an argument with VW about that, but got nowhere. That filter is I believe around 500$. I decided not to replace it at the time, because I considered the expense to be unnecessary. So far, no ill effects, so I am not sure whether the dealer was just trying to make a quick buck off the non-warranty filter item, or I just got lucky.

At any rate, the DPF is indeed covered and again, it should be clearly stated in your warranty book ..... if you don't have one, just call VW.

Perhaps at this point it won't matter much, unless you are decided to keep the car ....

Back
Top Bottom