VW deisel?? wtf... | Page 17 | GTAMotorcycle.com

VW deisel?? wtf...

Well, let's say I don't see their future as rosy as you do, especially their diesel models. The cars are just becoming too complicated, and will be even more so, now that all eyes are on diesel and emmisions.

But for me, it was always a great ratio between price and fun driving good looking car. I couldn't find anything quite the same, and I have tried quite a bit of cars/brands. I guess they have me for life ... whether diesel or gas power plant is considered. Too bad for me, good for them.... :)

It seems, from an email I just received, that we're getting the same offer as U.S. owners. In Canadian dollars.

what is the offer?

Volkswagen Canada would like to provide registered Owners of affected 2.0L TDI vehicles with a gesture of goodwill for your continued patience – a $1,000 Owner Credit Package that can be used at your Volkswagen Dealership towards vehicle care costs, accessories or other expenses related to your vehicle. Or, use up to half towards purchases anywhere credit cards are accepted. Also included – No-Charge 24-Hour Roadside Assistance for three years.

You will be able to register for your Owner Credit Package starting this Monday, December 7, 2015 at www.vwemissionsinfo.ca.

We will remind you on Monday to ensure you do not miss out on your package.

Owner Credit Package FAQs

1. What is the Owner Credit Package and who is eligible for this Package?
Current owners and lessees of 2.0L TDI vehicles affected by the emissions issue are eligible for the Owner Credit Package which consists of:
1. $500 for use at Volkswagen Dealerships only;
2. A further $500 for use at your Volkswagen Dealership or anywhere credit cards are accepted and;
3. No-Charge 24-Hour Roadside Assistance for three years, with unlimited mileage.

Our records show that your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) is eligible for this offer.

2. I previously entered my information on www.vwemissionsinfo.ca. Do I need to enter my information again to register for the Owner Credit Package?
Yes. In order to claim your Owner Credit Package you will need to register starting Monday, December 7, 2015.

3. How long does it take to receive the Owner Credit Package?
Your Owner Credit Package should arrive within 6 weeks of registering online. After your Owner Credit Package arrives, you will need to visit your dealership for card activation. We recommend activating your Owner Credit Package as soon as possible.

If it has been more than 6 weeks since you registered and your Owner Credit Package hasn’t arrived, please contact Volkswagen Customer CARE at 1-800-822-8987.

4. Will I have to forfeit my right to take legal action or to receive other compensation in the future if I accept this offer now?
No. You will NOT forfeit your right to take legal action or to receive other compensation in the future if you accept this offer now. We are providing this package as a gesture of goodwill for your continued patience as we work to develop a correction for your vehicle.

5. Are any vehicles excluded from the Owner Credit Package?
Yes, there are certain customers that are excluded from the program. Fleet vehicles and vehicles owned by Volkswagen Group Canada, Volkswagen Dealers, or Volkswagen Credit (such as those that are part of the employee lease program), unregistered vehicles owned by independent Dealers and wholesalers, and vehicles purchased on or after December 4, 2015 are not eligible for this Owner Credit Package.

Strong CAD .... LOL ... only when money is coming back to you, never when they part ways with your wallet.

I haven't tracked the used market on these cars ... has the used market taken a hit in price ?

The buy back will be right around the time I'll be looking for a new car anyway, so I hope this works out in my favour.

Hmmm... If VW is buying back cars, will there be a market for buying under priced used VW Diesel cars and re-"selling" it to the dealership?

Hmmm... If VW is buying back cars, will there be a market for buying under priced used VW Diesel cars and re-"selling" it to the dealership?

buyback the cars
ship them to other countries with lower standards
sell back for profit
more cars now to service and sell parts for
win/win

And which countries would that be???

It will never happen. Scrap yard it is and VW knows it, more so because they aren't even sure whether they will ever find affordable fix.

Let's say they give me 15k for 09 with 120k on odometer.... They will have to spend x amount of thousands to make it compliant and then sell for profit? 20k asking price for the fixed unit??? Who will pay them that kind of money???

Or do you see it played out differently?

buyback the cars
ship them to other countries with lower standards
sell back for profit
more cars now to service and sell parts for
win/win

This has been speculated by wishful-thinkers but I don't think it will happen:
- The North American spec cars aren't legal as-is in the European market. Not only is the emissions package different and would need to be re-validated to the Euro tests but also the bumpers, window glass, lights, airbags (expensive!), instruments etc are non compliant to UNECE standards. That's an expensive retrofit.
- The bulk of those North American spec cars are 4 door sedans with trunks. Europeans don't want 4 door sedans with trunks in cars of this size class. They buy Golfs, not Jettas.
- So if it's not Europe, where then? The affected cars are all fussy about their fuel - it has to be ultra-low-sulfur diesel fuel only. It means the developing world is off limits because of questionable fuel quality.

IF VW comes up with a retrofit for the emission control system then the bought-back cars (where owners decided they didn't want the car any more) could be retrofitted (at high cost) and then sold as used cars. It's expected that a pretty significant number of current owners will want to get out. Now you would have a market flooded with used cars, depressing the prices.

We have one of these cars in our family (my sister has it now) and my recommendation to her is that unless VW offers that retrofit with a rock solid ironclad no-questions-asked lifetime warranty on everything involved in their Rube Goldberg emission control system AND everything it could consequentially affect including the engine, they can have the car back. The full text of the warranty shall read "The cost of causing a check-engine lamp to go off and stay off shall be zero." PERIOD. END. I know we're not the only ones with that opinion. We really don't care about "compensation", we care about the car being reliable for its lifetime and not costing an arm and a leg to keep going. If this also ends up indirectly taking care of the intercooler-icing headaches, and the EGR back-pressure flapper-valve headaches, and the HPFP headaches, great.

The scrunching machine that squashes cars into little cubes awaits.

A lot of the airbags need to be replaced anyway. There is an open campaign to replace Takata airbags. It hasn't started being implemented yet, AFAIK they are fighting over who pays and how much.

My tdi has an extended warranty to 270000. A buyout won't cover that. I agree with Brian, the repaired cars would require an ironclad longterm warranty which also burns the warranty I have. The best thing for me will probably be a new tdi with an extended warranty for an obscenely good price (maybe $0.10 /km depreciation on the current car?).

This has been speculated by wishful-thinkers but I don't think it will happen:
- The North American spec cars aren't legal as-is in the European market. Not only is the emissions package different and would need to be re-validated to the Euro tests but also the bumpers, window glass, lights, airbags (expensive!), instruments etc are non compliant to UNECE standards. That's an expensive retrofit.
- The bulk of those North American spec cars are 4 door sedans with trunks. Europeans don't want 4 door sedans with trunks in cars of this size class. They buy Golfs, not Jettas.
- So if it's not Europe, where then? The affected cars are all fussy about their fuel - it has to be ultra-low-sulfur diesel fuel only. It means the developing world is off limits because of questionable fuel quality.

IF VW comes up with a retrofit for the emission control system then the bought-back cars (where owners decided they didn't want the car any more) could be retrofitted (at high cost) and then sold as used cars. It's expected that a pretty significant number of current owners will want to get out. Now you would have a market flooded with used cars, depressing the prices.

We have one of these cars in our family (my sister has it now) and my recommendation to her is that unless VW offers that retrofit with a rock solid ironclad no-questions-asked lifetime warranty on everything involved in their Rube Goldberg emission control system AND everything it could consequentially affect including the engine, they can have the car back. The full text of the warranty shall read "The cost of causing a check-engine lamp to go off and stay off shall be zero." PERIOD. END. I know we're not the only ones with that opinion. We really don't care about "compensation", we care about the car being reliable for its lifetime and not costing an arm and a leg to keep going. If this also ends up indirectly taking care of the intercooler-icing headaches, and the EGR back-pressure flapper-valve headaches, and the HPFP headaches, great.

The scrunching machine that squashes cars into little cubes awaits.

dump to the cars to Cuba or some other island nation or some African nation that don't care, want decent cars
viola, instant market keeps the service and parts market going
where do we think all the stolen cars go to? well here are legit cars for export

The DPF will clog in short order and the HPFP will disintegrate on fuel of insufficient lubricity and too much sulfur in the fuel. They don't like short trip driving at low speed, either.

Let me tell you, the DPF problem is a pain in the ***! Just hope you would not have to deal with this issue where your car's DPF clogs up to a point where it no longer regens. Quite the stressful dilemma.

Anyway, i'm curious as to what VW's plan is for our cars. I see either them performing a really expensive fix for all TDI owners, or some sort of buyback program. I have a problem with both scenarios.

If I decide to have the "fix" performed, and subsequently causes other problems with the car, will VW perform these fixes for free? Will the mileage of my car suffer greatly? I bought this car for one purpose and that's to save on fuel.

If I opt for the buyback, how much will they actually give? I've paid off my car last year and really don't feel like paying monthly payments again on a vehicle. What sort of incentive can they convince owners who no longer pay monthly payments?

If I opt for the buyback, how much will they actually give? I've paid off my car last year and really don't feel like paying monthly payments again on a vehicle. What sort of incentive can they convince owners who no longer pay monthly payments?

My guess is they would start around the number the insurance company would give you if your car was totaled. That should be based on the depreciated value not the value diminished by the scam.

Interesting? If your car is stolen / wrecked the insurer pays out what it's worth which isn't much due to VW.

Some call-in on a radio show was thinking she should get all her money back. Funny.

Back
Top Bottom