Sea fishing Q | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Sea fishing Q

Looked at where he is staying and a all around heavier set up will be preferred.
1711581460229.png
He's got some nice shore fishing from rocks and decent deep water and 20lb test and a longer heavier rod will do where. There are bigger fish in the tide race on two rivers.
The damn place is fisherman heaven.
I recommended the Goture rod as it covers everything from 5.5 to 12' and the Zebco 808 which is salt water compatible.
On the 12' rod with decent weight lure might be able to try surf casting as well.

I’ve never used a telescope rod , I do own a 5pc backpack rod that’s really compact. I always thought the telescopic thing looked like disaster waiting to happen, but I have never seen a fail.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
Telescopic rods are really handy fishing for specs in tight quarters. Little creeks running thru cedar swamps.

Looked at where he is staying and a all around heavier set up will be preferred.
View attachment 66836
He's got some nice shore fishing from rocks and decent deep water and 20lb test and a longer heavier rod will do where. There are bigger fish in the tide race on two rivers.
The damn place is fisherman heaven.
I recommended the Goture rod as it covers everything from 5.5 to 12' and the Zebco 808 which is salt water compatible.
On the 12' rod with decent weight lure might be able to try surf casting as well.

What about this one then as a compromise? I like the idea of not having to get a separate reel etc etc.

Bit pricier but good warrranty. My issue is that I think if I start to buy everything separately I’ll be into a heavier set.

Edit: one review says the guy caught a 22lb tarpon with this set up and 30lb line.

What about this one then as a compromise? I like the idea of not having to get a separate reel etc etc.

Bit pricier but good warrranty. My issue is that I think if I start to buy everything separately I’ll be into a heavier set.

Edit: one review says the guy caught a 22lb tarpon with this set up and 30lb line.
I wouldnt care about two different tips. I would use the longest and ignore the other. I would go for a heavier option as it's pretty light for ocean fish.

I wouldnt care about two different tips. I would use the longest and ignore the other. I would go for a heavier option as it's pretty light for ocean fish.

How likely is it that something monstrous will latch on to my line? Serious Q. Is it a big enough risk that a small telescoping rod would just snap on the first fish?

I’m honestly expecting to not catch anything except sunburn.

How likely is it that something monstrous will latch on to my line? Serious Q. Is it a big enough risk that a small telescoping rod would just snap on the first fish?

I’m honestly expecting to not catch anything except sunburn.
If it's setup properly and you don't let the rod touch the rocks, you should never ever break a rod. Line on the other hand will be a frequent casuality.

It's more a feel thing. Catching a big fish on a short soft rod isn't all that fun as it atrips all your line and then you are done for the day. Long rods make it easier to gight more with the rod and less with the drag. Catching little fish on light tackle is fun. Again, I have never been shore fishing in the ocean so I am not really sure what you catch. I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that there are some big ones. On a 7' rod and spinning reel, I wouldnt mind catching an ontario bass but I would have little faith that I would get a >10lb fish in.

Unless you are very timid about where you fish you will certainly catch fish
Reels and rods are 2min to change
The 808 will allow you to cast easily with mid weight lures and build your. Confidence quickly
Nothing wrong with a rubber sinker and practice before you leave. I’ve done many times trying out new rods tho not many new reels. My Abu Garcia I bought in France was still going strong after decades
I’d go with the line that comes with the 808. There are some esoteric and expensive lines you can tow a boat with and still cast a very long way. Something not to worry about

Small salt water lure kit that can be set up for live bait will be easy to carry. Just don’t get fresh water light tackle kit. Not suitable
On that rock ledge you would be perfect with a 12’ light salt water rod and while away the hours. Dawn and dusk

GG where he is there are many fish up to 40lb in the tidal race and there are two rivers. Take the idea of abundant fish in the country name seriously
You can catch 1lb fish. Nice to eat on the heavier gear. Bigger fish will ruin your day on light tackle
I’d buy a week before you go so you can practice a bit

Last edited:
Hehe
1711594046307.png

About this item​

• Fantastic Topwater Lure, Really The Best
  • Catches Huge Fish, The Biggest Fish, Believe Me, Ask Anyone
  • The Strongest Durable American Design Ever, Trust Me
  • If You Hear This Isn't The Best Lure Ever It's #FakeNews
  • All Other Lures Are Losers, Complete Disasters

First purchase…

It was on sale and by all accounts it’s a very good budget reel.

I’ll get that rod MacDoc mentioned from Amazon but I think I’ll get the 8ft version rather than the 10ft one after reading a bit.

Next need all the lures/hooks line and whatever. I’ll see if there’s a crappy all-in-one kit from Amazon.

20lb line? 30 lb line? Braided?

Edit: Looks like 8ft rod is rated for 20lb and 10ft for 30lb?

Last edited:
First purchase…

It was on sale and by all accounts it’s a very good budget reel.

I’ll get that rod MacDoc mentioned from Amazon but I think I’ll get the 8ft version rather than the 10ft one after reading a bit.

Next need all the lures/hooks line and whatever. I’ll see if there’s a crappy all-in-one kit from Amazon.

20lb line? 30 lb line? Braided?

Edit: Looks like 8ft rod is rated for 20lb and 10ft for 30lb?
I would not run braid for lots of reasons (not the least of which is good braid can cost almost as much as your reel).

Don't worry about what the rod is weighted for. I'd probably run ~15 lb mono-filament. Again, I don't do surf but heavier line is easier for fish to see and stiffer so lures/bait move strangely. Learn how to set the drag to match the line. If you catch something small and want to have more fun, back off the drag at that point to make it more of a fight and less of a winch.

Do not crank a spinning reel while the fish is pulling line, that just twists the line. The fight is with the rod and the reel helps you position the rod.

Brave lad going open face.
Make sure you practice with a rubber sinker before you go.

Amazon.ca kits are nearly all for freshwater and the lures too light and small for salt water.

These would work
Heavy enough for your line weight, design will keep it from getting caught on snags and rocks.

This okay but not sure for 20lb line
1711686212725.png
You need a bunch of these bits anyway - swivels, weights etc. but it looks small to me for salt water use

Which rod are you considering? ...a number of those are multisection so you can choose which sections to use from 6' to 12' combos and inbetween.

Last edited:
That’s a great reel choice , reversible is nice , I’m right handed but fish left with most rods . Half the stuff in that “tackle kit” is crap , but it will get you through a day . Streamers are handier in surf casting , but from the sound of things your sort of still fishing and shore casting so that’s ok. Rinse everything in fresh water when done , cheap lures will all rust , stainless means stain less , not stain never .
Lures are designed to attract fisherman not fish , you can blow your brains out buying shiny bits . I’m not a bait fisherman, it’s messy and your fingers stink , but it’s usually effective, once again if you see other fisherman, they are usually friendly , ask what they are using . Remember you’re trying to outwit something with a brain smaller than a pea, don’t over think it .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Which reel did you snag?? - there are 3 sizes and it says only available in Whitehorse ???!!! :unsure:

You'll want to take additional line as well.
For tangles.
For boisterous fish that strip it all off.
Snags too far out.
Not sure if additional spools are available but having a spare rigged with different line weight makes life easy. Just clip it on and you are back in business.

Which reel did you snag?? - there are 3 sizes and it says only available in Whitehorse ???!!! :unsure:

You'll want to take additional line as well.
For tangles.
For boisterous fish that strip it all off.
Snags too far out.
Not sure if additional spools are available but having a spare rigged with different line weight makes life easy. Just clip it on and you are back in business.
The 4000 size.

This rod https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0C3PJ8RDD/ref=ox_sc_act_title_8?smid=A3H9HD9MGSJ005&th=1

I figured 8ft was a reasonable compromise so I could use the rod for other things when I get back.

Last edited:
Ah got it...sure 8 is fine. When do you get the reel.?

I have it right now. Seems fine to me but then again I don’t have a benchmark.

Found some 20lb braid from a brand name company (PowerPro or something)
Cheap rapala filet knife
Fluorocarbon leaders (saves me dicking about with knots etc).
A saltwater specific fluke kit that doesn’t have any extra rubbish in
Some shrimp lures to add to the fluke kit
Needle nose fishing tool

All reasonably budget stuff but not bottom barrel

Don’t even have the rod yet! Also have to do some work to earn the pennies to pay for this trip first although it’s not that expensive!

I think I have the basic stuff I need. I’m just going to have some fun. The wife is supportive (but sceptical) too! Basically because she knows that if I’m prattling about with a rod and a reel I won’t be bothering her.

I am just watching some YouTube videos. Some fishing lodges in Panama are lure only too so that also give me hope. They talk about the possibility of catching over 40 different species. I’ll be happy with 1.

Beer is cheap and our first stop after picking up the rental car is the grocery store for some tinnies and the basics.

Back
Top Bottom