Sea fishing Q | GTAMotorcycle.com

Sea fishing Q

jc100

Never really fished. Have no clue what I’m doing. Know diddly squat about fishing.

Going on holiday soon. There’s some rocks on the beach I’m off to that jut into the sea. Looks like a good place to sit with a beer and a rod. Or maybe the beach into the surf.

Will one of those amazon kits do? https://www.amazon.ca/Sougayilang-T...vel+sea+fishing+rod,aps,166&sr=8-7&th=1&psc=1

Something like this?

Will the lures in that kit have a chance in hell of snagging anything except seaweed?

Don’t want to spend a fortune. Half decent chance I might swear a lot and end up selling/gifting it to a local kid.

If you've never fished at all open face reels might be frustrating.
You might want a closed face reel

Pflueger President Spincast Fishing Reel

Maybe hit a BassMasters and talk to someone.

Last edited:
Never really fished. Have no clue what I’m doing. Know diddly squat about fishing.

Going on holiday soon. There’s some rocks on the beach I’m off to that jut into the sea. Looks like a good place to sit with a beer and a rod. Or maybe the beach into the surf.

Will one of those amazon kits do? https://www.amazon.ca/Sougayilang-Telescopic-Spinning-Saltwater-Freshwater/dp/B079GHFXRJ/ref=sr_1_7?crid=1AOWPU4YIEO2B&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.hEdGybhRmogotLTKXNZScq46kzROGtB3B9f3SqZkOY9cCac0ZqPtqRIzgMzEeRPmynuGz9VBUgcn-c6eHZzej5NwTSRCsDuKzc2bFaC_kkPPISsRwrlcmDNpUlUqOJmUEdnbsgCRBJVIDZFYraJuBhhUM4Kgz0Wmfe9YaomtwRCVP6es_BGy5fxjWLSh3-wRlkPFGMU0G52Y65Q-xbJ1AzgS8uUk-VSfpX9q-pGQIZefbBEto-YP_0bHW9VxLNsx7koltxckrnNFa9rq3bZmG4DYhzhUVx-sYugWVtm3sNc.Bkk9M1gta37-L3hoRgSPaUcRBEYzUlDJfnMDhVMefnk&dib_tag=se&keywords=travel+sea+fishing+rod&qid=1711423471&sprefix=travel+sea+fishing+rod,aps,166&sr=8-7&th=1&psc=1

Something like this?

Will the lures in that kit have a chance in hell of snagging anything except seaweed?

Don’t want to spend a fortune. Half decent chance I might swear a lot and end up selling/gifting it to a local kid.
There’s probably a bait shop close to where you’re staying. For a couple of bucks a day, I’ll bet you can rent all the kit you need. It will be setup for local fishing.

There’s probably a bait shop close to where you’re staying. For a couple of bucks a day, I’ll bet you can rent all the kit you need. It will be setup for local fishing.
I like this approach.

I have never surf fished. When I have seen people surf fishing, rods were much longer than 7' and reels were big. Many ocean fish would strip that tiny reel quickly.

Where I am there’s not much nearby. Just a bunch of small fishing boats.

Long bamboo rod and some live bait you can catch lots of small fish if those rocks are accessible but be careful if any surf at all.
Surf casting only for the mighty.
A little closed face spin caster is really easy to use ..wait til you get there.

If I do this I honestly think things will go like the following:

1. Get out rod and try to set it up. Fail. Watch YouTube for an hour. Try again.
2. Go sit on rocks wearing factor 1,000000 sunscreen with rod.
3. Get stuff tangled. Spend 20 mins untangling.
4. Drop line into sea. Nothing happens. Get stuff tangled. Spend 20 mins untangling.
5. Try again. Get bored/drunk.
6. Walk to fish restaurant down beach

Sounds like fun though.

If I do this I honestly think things will go like the following:

1. Get out rod and try to set it up. Fail. Watch YouTube for an hour. Try again.
2. Go sit on rocks wearing factor 1,000000 sunscreen with rod.
3. Get stuff tangled. Spend 20 mins untangling.
4. Drop line into sea. Nothing happens. Get stuff tangled. Spend 20 mins untangling.
5. Try again. Get bored/drunk.
6. Walk to fish restaurant down beach

Sounds like fun though.
To minimize the time roasting in the sun with no line out, prep the rod inside. With a telescoping rod, it can still be short but otherwise ready to go. When you get to your fishing spot, open the bail and extend the rod. Done. Line in the water in seconds.

I can't help you with the tangled/bored/drunk part. That's just fishing.

I prefer the collapsible rods that come together, instead of telescoping because there's less chance of them collapsing during the fishing.

I bought this a few years ago....

And everyone at every store told me it's inadequate...meanwhile I was able to catch 30lb salmon during my FIFO time in BC. Highly recommend.

You're welcome to use it for your trip, just let me know and I'll dig it up. Need to pick up in Central Mississauga.

To minimize the time roasting in the sun with no line out, prep the rod inside. With a telescoping rod, it can still be short but otherwise ready to go. When you get to your fishing spot, open the bail and extend the rod. Done. Line in the water in seconds.

I can't help you with the tangled/bored/drunk part. That's just fishing.

Had to google “bail”
I prefer the collapsible rods that come together, instead of telescoping because there's less chance of them collapsing during the fishing.

I bought this a few years ago....

And everyone at every store told me it's inadequate...meanwhile I was able to catch 30lb salmon during my FIFO time in BC. Highly recommend.

You're welcome to use it for your trip, just let me know and I'll dig it up. Need to pick up in Central Mississauga.

Thanks for the offer but the time I’ll be up that way will be the day of the flight!!

I’m pretty sure that last time I was there some local kids were just throwing a line into the water from a reel with no rod. If I do try this I’m sure anything I have will do.

Wouldn't recommend a closed face reel. Not enough line for the potential of a big fish, and the drag is usually junk. If you are mechanically inclined enough to get around on two wheels, you can operate a spinning reel.

Wouldn't recommend a closed face reel. Not enough line for the potential of a big fish, and the drag is usually junk. If you are mechanically inclined enough to get around on two wheels, you can operate a spinning reel.
And if you go open-faced, front drag is better than rear drag in almost every case.

Make sure that you're willing to take the fish off of the hook before you catch one.

Defo.

“How do you get the hook out of the fish?”

“I caught a fish, how do I get it prepared for eating?”

“How do I get a hook out of my arm?”
Are you in a resort or private residence? Resorts are often quite accommodating and if you bring them a fish they will prepare it and some sides for a very reasonable price (and probably sell the rest of the fish to other guests but I call that a win too as it isn't wasted).

Make sure that you're willing to take the fish off of the hook before you catch one.
I have no problem with that in freshwater as I know what I am dealing with. If I catch a pufferfish or clownfish or even worse something I haven't seen before, I don't know where it is safe to touch. Unhooking without touching the fish is much harder.

Back
Top Bottom