Sea fishing Q | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Sea fishing Q

Like all technology, brand name closed face have improved dramatically over the decades.

All metal and millions of them out there catching fish.
This would get you started and likely fit your suitcase as 5.5' rod is two piece. Comes with a little kit,

61rMCPQ+ptL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

You can consider a fish handling glove and a hook remover.

Like riding a small bike fast, small fish on light tackle is lots of fun.

Last edited:
Are you in a resort or private residence? Resorts are often quite accommodating and if you bring them a fish they will prepare it and some sides for a very reasonable price (and probably sell the rest of the fish to other guests but I call that a win too as it isn't wasted).

AirBnB. There’s some locals about. I figure I’ll offer them half a fish to sort it out for me if I can’t do it myself.

Some marine fish I’m familiar with but they are mostly the venomous ones or ones you’d keep in a marine aquarium. I know what a puffer fish looks like for instance. No idea what you’re supposed to do if you catch one of those though.

AirBnB. There’s some locals about. I figure I’ll offer them half a fish to sort it out for me if I can’t do it myself.

Some marine fish I’m familiar with but they are mostly the venomous ones or ones you’d keep in a marine aquarium. I know what a puffer fish looks like for instance. No idea what you’re supposed to do if you catch one of those though.
If you're more interested in fishing than eating and want to make it easier to get hooks out, use barbless hooks or pinch the barb down on barbed hooks. Grab the hook with pliers and give it a twist and the fish will fall off without touching it. You can do it with barbed hooks but it's harder and you may need to push a bit to get the barb to clear.

Go snorkeling off the rocks and find the fish ...THEN catch them. :D
also
Aqua Shoes Unisex
this kind of shoe useful and safer
Rocks in a tidal zone are insanely slippery...PFD not a bad thought either ...AirBnB might have

Last edited:
If you're doing that and laws allow, bring a spear. It's a lot easier to deal with a dead fish. Better exercise too. In much of the world, lionfish are invasive so you can take as many as you want. No idea about panama.

also
Aqua Shoes Unisex
this kind of shoe useful and safer
Rocks in a tidal zone are insanely slippery...PFD not a bad thought either ...AirBnB might have

I have those. The water is not clear enough for snorkelling unless I venture out to Olympic swim team distances and there are rip tides where I am.

I have those. The water is not clear enough for snorkelling unless I venture out to Olympic swim team distances and there are rip tides where I am.
Rip tides help you get out to the fish with minimal effort.

You don’t need a license to sport fish in Panama , you’ll want an open face reel in saltwater . If you see locals , ask what they are using for bait . Take a pair of pliers to get hooks out , I use huge medical forceps . That rod / reel combo is pretty crappy , but I fish . If you have mangroves near where you are , there are fish in mangroves . Be careful eating small coastal fish even if the locals do, the small fish feed on bacteria and crap on the rocks and coral and your intestines will not care for that.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

You don’t need a license to sport fish in Panama , you’ll want an open face reel in saltwater . If you see locals , ask what they are using for bait . Take a pair of pliers to get hooks out , I use huge medical forceps . That rod / reel combo is pretty crappy , but I fish . If you have mangroves near where you are , there are fish in mangroves . Be careful eating small coastal fish even if the locals do, the small fish feed on bacteria and crap on the rocks and coral and your intestines will not care for that.

Perfect thanks!

I spoke to a colleague who fishes and he also gave me advice about handling the fish (spines etc). There are mangroves not far away but not on my beach where the AirBnB is. There’s a bit of swell and a healthy tide on the beach, hopefully enough to keep things relatively clean. Fish is abundant further out as the fishing boats are active all day but they are net fishing.

I only saw kids with a bucket and a reel of line. There’s plenty of crabs on those rocks so I don’t know if they were using those as bait. I was intending to use whatever lures were in that kit just for ***** and giggles.

I saw these rods too and they came up in a review but they are more than twice the price.

So…a fish glove and a fish hook gizmo, one crappy rod and I should be set.

I saw these rods too and they came up in a review but they are more than twice the price.

The headache with multiple joint rods is they tend to be stiff and those are expensive tho look well crafted..really a two piece rod and that Zebco33 you will be fine unless there are some bigger fish hanging about and then you'll have a story about the big one that got away.

For Panama's earliest inhabitants, fishing was central to life. It is therefore not surprising that the name Panama comes from an indigenous word that translates to “abundance of fish”.

For a sit on a rock , kill time a Zebco would definitely work . There is a reason you will almost never see one surf casting or salt water fishing beyond bass fishing around docks ( where they are awesome) . If you find a Pompano or Tarpon , they will strip line at a speed that when exiting the little metal front hole will melt the line , and rinsing line when done is just easier when you can just pour water over the spool.
Enjoy being somewhere you don’t need a permit , usually the license for non residents is like a mortgage payment.

This fishing thing is a rabbit hole. So many opinions on reviews online.

Now looking at multi-piece rods. There’s an UglyStick saltwater combo for $55 but it only breaks down to two pieces. I think it would fit in my bag though. Plus is that it appears to be a stronger rod than the telescoping ones.

This fishing thing is a rabbit hole. So many opinions on reviews online.

Now looking at multi-piece rods. There’s an UglyStick saltwater combo for $55 but it only breaks down to two pieces. I think it would fit in my bag though. Plus is that it appears to be a stronger rod than the telescoping ones.
In general fewer pieces is far better for fishing and more pieces is more compact for travel. If a two-piece fits in your luggage, I would go that way. I am surprised that a two piece fits though. Normally they are about 42" long when collapsed.

In general fewer pieces is far better for fishing and more pieces is more compact for travel. If a two-piece fits in your luggage, I would go that way. I am surprised that a two piece fits though. Normally they are about 42" long when collapsed.

The first part of the rod telescopes it seems. Reviews say it’s a bit heavy and the reel isn’t good.

Seems to be about 34 inches long.

You can take the Zebco33 on it's own and put on those rods. Long is good but heavier and stiffer.
Hell take the 5.5' Zebco and buy a bigger rod

Goture Travel Fishing Rod with Case - Casting/Surf/Spinning Fishing Rods - Portable 4 Sections Lightweight Carbon Fiber Fishing Rods 6.6ft - 12ft for Saltwater Freshwater Trout, Bass, Walleye, Pike​

Visit the Goture Store
4.3 out of 5 stars 1,157
#1 Best Seller in Spinning Fishing Rods
The 12' set up will make it very easy to still fish from rocks with its long reach and give you much greater range on casting.
Better rod for the ocean and I do like the lifetime warranty. You can handle bigger fish and heavier lures.

I’ve never used a telescope rod , I do own a 5pc backpack rod that’s really compact. I always thought the telescopic thing looked like disaster waiting to happen, but I have never seen a fail.

Back
Top Bottom