Ontario should make winter tires mandatory. | Page 58 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ontario should make winter tires mandatory.

From asking if it's time to full on expert in one slick post. Well done!

From asking if it's time to full on expert in one slick post. Well done!

Are you quoting me there? Let's just say well experienced. ;)

Oh, and I was asking when, not if.

They haven't been offering it? I've been getting a discount for several years now.

No, I asked last year and they didn't offer it. The rates were still competitive enough to stick around. Next renewal I'll be shopping around though.

So it'll be more like, "if you want normal rates, get winter tires. If you want an increase, don't get winter tires".

^ This x1000000000... the ****ers. I bet the "discount" will be something absurd, like $40 off/year so you'll need 20 years on one set of tyres to offset the cost.

I'll continue to use winter tyres regardless of any "discount" offered. They're not absolutely necessary, but if you have the means, why not? It's nice to know that during winter I've maximized the amount of available traction (within reasonable limits, of course).

I'm just waiting until the day that we all have to have those "driving monitors" to get reasonable rates on insurance.

^ This x1000000000... the ****ers. I bet the "discount" will be something absurd, like $40 off/year so you'll need 20 years on one set of tyres to offset the cost.

I'll continue to use winter tyres regardless of any "discount" offered. They're not absolutely necessary, but if you have the means, why not? It's nice to know that during winter I've maximized the amount of available traction (within reasonable limits, of course).

I'm just waiting until the day that we all have to have those "driving monitors" to get reasonable rates on insurance.

Yes it's only 5%.

that sounds like a good way to spend winter. How do i get this job?

I'm still working on it; I drive my wife to and from work everyday.

Do you have cats, dogs, or a spouse to snuggle with?

Old thread but I agree with less regulations and more common sense. I ran all seasons for 20 years in the snow belt ( Exeter / Lucan ) without a issue. I did go to winter tires bout' 10 years ago and there is a HUGE difference.
Time and time again it's all about driving for the conditions. I see a lot of people in the ditch due to my job. Yeah I'm the guy that plows the road that some of you just have to pass no matter what ;-)

I'll be honest. I get a passing bonner when I see 10 cars following a plow. #YOLO

Old thread but I agree with less regulations and more common sense. I ran all seasons for 20 years in the snow belt ( Exeter / Lucan ) without a issue. I did go to winter tires bout' 10 years ago and there is a HUGE difference.
Time and time again it's all about driving for the conditions. I see a lot of people in the ditch due to my job. Yeah I'm the guy that plows the road that some of you just have to pass no matter what ;-)

In ontario? HAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAH

You're funny.
Common sense in ontario.

Most people i talk to about skidding say"ITS THE SCARIEST THING IN THE WORLD"

and then its whether
- i press on the brakes as much as possible
or
- i take my hands off the wheel

Having to share the road with them kinda scares me.

But we could see winter tires the same way as we see ATGATT, don't need the gear all the time but you never know when you'll need it.
So don't get tires for when it's dry, get tires for when it might snow.
It'll prolly offfset the money you'd lose in insurance hike or out of pocket payout for a new bumper on a bimmer/audi/mercedes

Yeah I'm the guy that plows the road that some of you just have to pass no matter what ;-)

OK, I gotta ask. Couple times last winter I got stuck behind a plow on River Rd. literally all the way from Caledonia to Cayuga. This would be at 5:30-6:00am. Very lightly travelled road, you can do that whole stretch and not see another car. Why won't he move over so I can get by? Is there some sort of policy? I could see it if the road was actually obstructed with snow but it wasn't. Please advise.

Well ok, you know how you're waiting to use the gas pumps and the lady comes out after buying coffee and lottery tickets and then sits in the car and does some personal accounting and lipstick application while you're waiting to get to the gas pumps and then continues to sit there for no obvious reason and you fully recognize she doesn't even know you but you're sure she's doing this to YOU specifically? That's how it feels stuck behind a snow plow from Caledonia to Cayuga at 5:45am ish @ 30k/hr. Just sayin'

Dealing with traffic in the GTA is daunting enough. Toss in some ugly weather, it brings everyone to a stand still.

I know there are seasoned drivers that can manage winter driving with all seasons but, I'm getting older and crusty and coming to the way of thinking we should mandate all vehicles to have winter tires. We still will have accidents and bad weather delays but, if we can reduce the number of them, I'm thinking its a good idea.

Then again, I see so many awd SUV at the side of the road, I'm not sure if winter tires would have done them an good? Seems to me any traction advantage given is washed away with stupid anyways.......

I think I just changed my mind again......

AWD does exactly ****** when it comes to braking...I will never understand the craziness with AWD these days...except that marketing works...

Dealing with traffic in the GTA is daunting enough. Toss in some ugly weather, it brings everyone to a stand still.

I know there are seasoned drivers that can manage winter driving with all seasons but, I'm getting older and crusty and coming to the way of thinking we should mandate all vehicles to have winter tires. We still will have accidents and bad weather delays but, if we can reduce the number of them, I'm thinking its a good idea.

Then again, I see so many awd SUV at the side of the road, I'm not sure if winter tires would have done them an good? Seems to me any traction advantage given is washed away with stupid anyways.......

I think I just changed my mind again......

Back
Top Bottom