Ontario should make winter tires mandatory. | Page 56 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ontario should make winter tires mandatory.

:lol:

4tFou2f.jpg

Up to the frame rails in mud today. CAA got me out. Snow tires would not have helped.

Other than the people that were stuck, the funniest one for me today was a mazda 6 stopped at a red light. The light turned green and they starting spinning forward, they got to the far side of the intersection as it turned red again. They should have stayed home.

On the trip home today:

- Mazda CX5 with all seasons. Driver kept drifting into the windrow in the breakdown lane and losing traction, when the road was relatively clean.
- Transport truck partially blocking the ramps to 403 west and 410 north because he had bald drive tires and couldn't seem to get traction in what appeared to be about 2 inches of snow.

Would like to know what the road maintenance companies are using for melting ice and snow; after they drop it on the snow the situation is worse as the snow doesn't melt but also comes away from the roadway.

Would like to know what the road maintenance companies are using for melting ice and snow; after they drop it on the snow the situation is worse as the snow doesn't melt but also comes away from the roadway.

The report from that first snowfall indicated that what they were using was something called "not enough salt."

The liquid spray they're using sucks. Road salt was the good stuff, only a legend now.

Brine isn't bad as a road pre-treat, as it doesn't blow away before the snow actually starts to fall. It needs to be followed up with salting though. If you don't put enough salt down then you melt a little bit of snow, then it just creates a horribly slippery slush situation.

Brine isn't bad as a road pre-treat, as it doesn't blow away before the snow actually starts to fall. It needs to be followed up with salting though. If you don't put enough salt down then you melt a little bit of snow, then it just creates a horribly slippery slush situation.

Agreed. They've stopped using road salt north of Bracebridge on 11 according to family members and rely on a spray (could be brine) alone. It does turn the snow to slush, but freezes in the serious cold leaving tire ruts and potholes.

The kind of govt that would dictate winter tires, is the kind of govt that would ban motorcycles for the inability to properly mount child seats and lack of seat belts. A s2000 or mustang or 2 wheel drive pick up truck with winter tires will still stop and turn worse than many other full sized sedans or 4x4 trucks or suvs on all seasons.

On Thursday it took 4 hours to drive 35 km along Bovaird, Castlemore, Rutherford.

Mercedes coupe stuck on the slight uphill on Bovaird at Dixie ... couldn't get up the hill. Not too much further along ... two BMW sedans having an extremely slow-motion uphill race. Past highway 27 was the best one ... a York Region transit bus that wasn't going anywhere.

The whole city of Brampton (aka: The 100 sq. km garbage dump) was a ****storm Thursday. Thankfully, it was also the last day I'll ever have to go there.

The whole city of Brampton (aka: The 100 sq. km garbage dump) was a ****storm Thursday. Thankfully, it was also the last day I'll ever have to go there.
Come on... I am sure you'll miss it

Just in case everyone hasn't figured it out yet, bald (or near bald, but not past the wear bars so still legal) snow tires still suck in the snow. In fact they are worse than new middle of the road all seasons...

Captain Obvious over here....

Just in case everyone hasn't figured it out yet, bald (or near bald, but not past the wear bars so still legal) snow tires still suck in the snow. In fact they are worse than new middle of the road all seasons...

The kind of govt that would dictate winter tires, is the kind of govt that would ban motorcycles for the inability to properly mount child seats and lack of seat belts. A s2000 or mustang or 2 wheel drive pick up truck with winter tires will still stop and turn worse than many other full sized sedans or 4x4 trucks or suvs on all seasons.

Source please?

there is a reason why they are so cheap, worst tires ever....

I was going to provide a commentary somewhat in line with your rational but approach it from a different angle. I don't think it's too late for that. A good pair of quality work Wranglers will cost $60+ @ Lawlor Safety. It's my personal belief that a pair of work pants should not price out anywhere near a tire.

Back
Top Bottom