Loud Vehicle Legislation Across Canada | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Loud Vehicle Legislation Across Canada

Both Harley and Energetica have engineered a gear noise into the drivetrain. I rode a Brammo Empulse R in California this spring.
Zero range is 170miles. Brammo 130 city, 70 highway.

The Zero is built like a 125-250 in size, the Empulse is like a Ducati 696. They are fun, but the price is unrealistic. Neither has an appropriate transmission, which is why highway range is limited.

Highway is what matters to me, given that I'm commuting in from the 'burbs.

That's a strawman argument. 18 wheelers, dump trucks, buses and yes trains could all be made to produce far less noise. A sportbike with a full system can produce a significantly more HP. Is that necessary for the street? I don't know but if society wants to address noise pollution, it should be done in an evenhanded manner.

This is complete nonsense. I want to think you're putting us on. But I fear you're not.:glasses6:

No, not really. Care to elaborate on why you think its nonsense?

Take loud motorcycles and fart can Civics out of the picture for a moment. What do you hear? Birds chirping, children playing and the candyman singing in the background. Oh and some white noise taking care of business. Who's complaining about noise? NOOOOOBODY!!
Don't start on about evenhandedness now, bikers have been holding citizens hostage for decades. Equal and opposite reaction, pendulum swings and all that applies. Do I have you and your kind to thank for that?

Quick little test with my Cobra pipes and my new app says 70 db at idle and 85 db with some revving. I don't have a tach, so I'm not sure about the rpm.
Looks like I am good to go!
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

Quick little test with my Cobra pipes and my new app says 70 db at idle and 85 db with some revving. I don't have a tach, so I'm not sure about the rpm.
Looks like I am good to go!
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

New app sounds broken no pun intended.

The devil is in the details. I don't believe it will be enforced equally. I also think that other major noise polluters are not regulated or enforced adequately (Trucks, Buses,I'd disagree here..the truckers have been lamenting these changes for some time. Decreased reliability, 1000 lbs of lost payload, and a huge capital expense per truck is definitely significant Trains). Their is an epidemic of unsafe driving going on right now (electronics use, speeding) that is costing lives. Is this what we as a society want the police focusing on? Get this this issue off the roads as much as possible. Make non noise compliant exhaust systems illegal for sale period. Tracks are all starting to measure noise output anyway.
I'd agree with the last point!

Take loud motorcycles and fart can Civics out of the picture for a moment. What do you hear? Birds chirping, children playing and the candyman singing in the background. Oh and some white noise taking care of business. Who's complaining about noise? NOOOOOBODY!!
Don't start on about evenhandedness now, bikers have been holding citizens hostage for decades. Equal and opposite reaction, pendulum swings and all that applies. Do I have you and your kind to thank for that?

In my world, bikers are citizens. I'm glad you speak for EVERONE!! Me and "my kind" aren't to happy with the trucks engine breaking on the highway all night by my house or the Go trains that blow their horns starting at 5:30am every morning. If you think all would be silent if all motorcycles were remove from the road you must be deaf.

In my world, bikers are citizens. I'm glad you speak for EVERONE!! Me and "my kind" aren't to happy with the trucks engine breaking on the highway all night by my house or the Go trains that blow their horns starting at 5:30am every morning. If you think all would be silent if all motorcycles were remove from the road you must be deaf.

LOL, you can spin it all you want. Open pipes on motorcycles are an affront regular folk. You're going down.

I'd agree with the last point!

I know they have been working on it, but I haven't noticed much of a change except with buses. New ones are an order of magnitude quieter. Truckers always whine about costs (gas price increase) but these find their way into higher shipping prices eventually. The consumer (who benefits) pays in the end.

I spent a bit of my break time, today, pointing out to ideological conservatives on the Toronto Sun comments section that pointing to the presumed misdeeds of others, when confronted about your own misdeeds, is not a valid form of debate. Now I'll do the same with you. Wrong is wrong.

Now we extend the debate to the other 'villains.' Trains are required to blow their whistles at certain times, for certain purposes. Engineers have no choice in the matter. Trucks require a certain level of power too, to haul their loads. Their function largely dictates their form. As I've stated previously there are bylaws that govern the use of construction equipment and lawn care tools, stating when they can and cannot be used.

You choose to have a noisy vehicle.

Last edited:
LOL, you can spin it all you want. Open pipes on motorcycles are an affront regular folk. You're going down.

My exhaust is stock but I'm glad your "regular folk" now and not everyone. Too bad you can't see the big picture. The easier, cheaper solution is to take these 100db pipes off the market before wasting the cops (expensive) time with enforcement.

My exhaust is stock but I'm glad your "regular folk" now and not everyone. Too bad you can't see the big picture. The easier, cheaper solution is to take these 100db pipes off the market before wasting the cops (expensive) time with enforcement.

You'll find there's no talking to people like me when we have the moral high ground. Sorry about that:D

So it seems like a low / inaccurate db reading?

I think so. Mind you I'm wrong about stuff from time to time. But not today. I'm batting a 1000 today.

Moral ground or not, bikes have been loud since the 1920's and this isn't the first attempt at intervention.

Federal law mandated silencers quite a while back. The HTA has a section regarding silencers. Bylaws exist to quell 'unnecessary noise.' It's hardly the first attempt, though it may be the first effective attempt.

I spent a bit of my break time, today, pointing out to ideological conservatives on the Toronto Sun comments section that pointing to the presumed misdeeds of others, when confronted about your own misdeeds, is not a valid form of debate. Now I'll do the same with you. Wrong is wrong.

Now we extend the debate to the other 'villains.' Trains are required to blow their whistles at certain times, for certain purposes. Engineers have no choice in the matter. Trucks require a certain level of power too, to haul their loads. Their function largely dictates their form. As I've stated previously there are bylaws that govern the use of construction equipment and lawn care tools, stating when they can and cannot be used.

You choose to have a noisy vehicle.

Ahhh, life in the black and white vacuum. As I stated in another post. I have a stock exhaust. I also never said loud pipes were acceptable. Read my posts again. I said I think this is the wrong solution. To bring up other sources of noise pollution is perfectly valid to show that motorcycles may be getting more attention than is fair. If you can't consider a wider argument that is your failing. The topic reads "Loud Vehicle Legislation Across Canada". I don't drive a truck but Two close friends do and they tell me the average rig could be putting out half the db's they currently do and engine braking is almost always a cost saving measure. I am an engineer and I can confidently tell you large construction equipment can produce far less noise with currently available technology. What is your pinion of trying to curb the problem at the manufacturer level first?

Ahhh, life in the black and white vacuum. As I stated in another post. I have a stock exhaust. I also never said loud pipes were acceptable. Read my posts again. I said I think this is the wrong solution. To bring up other sources of noise pollution is perfectly valid to show that motorcycles may be getting more attention than is fair. If you can't consider a wider argument that is your failing. The topic reads "Loud Vehicle Legislation Across Canada". I don't drive a truck but Two close friends do and they tell me the average rig could be putting out half the db's they currently do and engine braking is almost always a cost saving measure. I am an engineer and I can confidently tell you large construction equipment can produce far less noise with currently available technology. What is your pinion of trying to curb the problem at the manufacturer level first?

And if you can't see the difference between something operating as designed, and something that is made annoying by choice, then you need to adjust your thinking. it has already been addressed at the manufacturer level.

And if you can't see the difference between something operating as designed, and something that is made annoying by choice, then you need to adjust your thinking. it has already been addressed at the manufacturer level.

I can see the difference but the net result for both is far more noise than is necessary. Do you have an answer t my question?

I can see the difference but the net result for both is far more noise than is necessary. Do you have an answer t my question?

With large equipment you need to move a certain amount of air, which means exhaust, to generate a given amount of power. I believe that someone already commented on this, up thread, with respect to transport trucks. Same principle.

Back
Top Bottom