Loud Vehicle Legislation Across Canada | GTAMotorcycle.com

Loud Vehicle Legislation Across Canada

I've never had a loud motorcycle bother me at night while trying to sleep and they run down my street all the time. Loud obnoxious drunk people teetering home from the bars at 2am on the other hand, blaring their ****ing Greek music when they opt to drive off in their SUV while drunk definitely does. Let's legislate drunk pedestrians away 'cause they bother me :rolleyes:

In the article people arguing FOR keeping loud exhaust don't help themselves. 92db for a bike when most lawnmowers are 107??? does anybody rev a lawnmower? does anybody take a mower out for wings and run it home at 2am? even mow the lawn at 2am?
And its no louder than a siren> Hey stupid, know why sirens are loud? because somebodies house may be on fire, or that ambulance has a heart attack inside. Your bike needs to pull to the right, and you need to hear a siren over your loud exhaust.
Love the guys putting in earplugs so they can group ride with a collection life saving straight pipe buddies.

In the article people arguing FOR keeping loud exhaust don't help themselves. 92db for a bike when most lawnmowers are 107??? does anybody rev a lawnmower? does anybody take a mower out for wings and run it home at 2am? even mow the lawn at 2am?
And its no louder than a siren> Hey stupid, know why sirens are loud? because somebodies house may be on fire, or that ambulance has a heart attack inside. Your bike needs to pull to the right, and you need to hear a siren over your loud exhaust.
Love the guys putting in earplugs so they can group ride with a collection life saving straight pipe buddies.

I also enjoy the ones who claim that it's for "safety", when A) the physics of how sound travels doesn't support it and B) they wear half-helmets and t-shirts.
I used to live on Highway 10, about 3 kms south of FOTC and much as I like bikes, it got tiresome to hear the cruisers with ear-splitting straight pipes and the sport bikes wound up to jet engine levels.

I always use earplugs, I'd like to be able to hear things later in life. You want those banned to?

I've never had a loud motorcycle bother me at night while trying to sleep and they run down my street all the time. Loud obnoxious drunk people teetering home from the bars at 2am on the other hand, blaring their ****ing Greek music when they opt to drive off in their SUV while drunk definitely does. Let's legislate drunk pedestrians away 'cause they bother me :rolleyes:

While I hate fart cans, unmuffled cruisers, idiots that hack off their exhaust, and have a relatively quiet exhaust (Yoshi R-55), I sleep in on Saturday and Sundays. Some faggot is always mowing the ****ing lawn at 9AM to god knows when. I've never been waken up by a motorcycle but I damn well will be by the ******* mowing their lawn while I'm sleeping. Lets put a law in against lawn mowers making too much noise!

My first curmudgeon thought is....OMG!! I won't be able to spend that money on a new exhaust and power commander to gain a couple extra horsepower and show the world just how small my penis is.

My second thought is....is this really surprising given how loud some bikes are these days? No not really.

My third thought....think about this from an enforcement perspective. The article states there are already laws on the books but the popo are looking for a way to enforce it. I think this will be like most of these knee jerk laws, the popo will enforce it hard at first and then go back to more important things. Once they can satisfy their constituents that they've done something about it. Like ticketing people for driving and using cell phones....<sarcasm>you never ever see that now that they passed that law.</sarcasm>

My final thought....you're a biker do whatever the hell you want.

+1
Effing retards with their straight piped bikes parading up and down the street, and purposely revving their engines at every stoplight / cafe.

Don't get me started on Gixxar-riding Ralentino Vossi who mistakes the DVP for a racetrack at 2am - ofcourse with the customary douchevest and M4 without baffles.

I think the biggest issue here is that bikes are being targeted. Growing up, we put loud exhausts on our Civic and VW's, and they still do. Do they not also make noise?
When I bought my bike, it came with Cobras. I love the sound, but it's still quieter than most bikes.
As for people that live in areas like fotc, you bought there for many of the same reasons that people like to ride there: it's beautiful (and some twisties). But doesn't that come with the area? Sort of like people that buy across from an empty field, then protest when they are going to put a school/store/etc there.
I guess at the end of the day, I'm going to take it easy in residential areas, and if I get a ticket, I'll just have to try to fight it.
Edit: just reread this, looks like I rambled on. I'm on vacation and still on my first coffee, sorry.

Last edited:
As for people that live in areas like fotc, you bought there for many of the same reasons that people like to ride there: it's beautiful (and some twisties). But doesn't that come with the area? Sort of like people that buy across from an empty field, then protest when they are going to put a school/store/etc there.
Yes, it's beautiful and yes, people like to ride there. I can hardly begrudge anyone when I spend my free time doing exactly the same in someone else's neighbourhood. But the sticking point is when people fail to recognise that they are part of a society and as such, should at least try to minimize the intrusion.
Does your neighbour in the next apartment have the right to listen to music? Absolutely. Does he have the right to have it cranked to 10 at 2:00 am? No.
Everyone always screams about their "rights". "F*** you, man, it's my right!" How come nobody ever screams about their obligations?
I try to remember that my rights end exactly where the next person's begin.

Without loud pipes to save their lives, the straight pipers might have to learn to use the front brake instead. I see business opportunity though: Extra long handlebar tassles w/integrated Gremlin Bells.

I bought my bike used ('09 Yamaha Raider) & it came with V&H custom pipes. I'm (hoping!) assuming these new legislation don't necessarily kill off the entire aftermarket exhaust industry..

IMHO my bike is certainly louder than stock, but not stupid loud. Like other bikes I've heard where the owner has torn out the baffles

I also enjoy the ones who claim that it's for "safety", when A) the physics of how sound travels doesn't support it and B) they wear half-helmets and t-shirts.
I used to live on Highway 10, about 3 kms south of FOTC and much as I like bikes, it got tiresome to hear the cruisers with ear-splitting straight pipes and the sport bikes wound up to jet engine levels.

this.

Which is pretty much what I posted in the comments section of that story though I also said that maybe they'd have better results than they do with loud pipes if they just canned the pirate gear, and went Hi-Viz. After all if their safety is more important than what other people think, then what does fashion matter?

Coincidently all my bikes make just the right quality of sound. Do not underestimated sound attenuation qualities of pink house insulation.

Long overdue ! Hopefully, it becomes a law in Ontario sooner rather than later!

Back
Top Bottom