Loud Vehicle Legislation Across Canada | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Loud Vehicle Legislation Across Canada

meh, I'll just rev twice as high then ;)

I also enjoy the ones who claim that it's for "safety", when A) the physics of how sound travels doesn't support it and B) they wear half-helmets and t-shirts.
I used to live on Highway 10, about 3 kms south of FOTC and much as I like bikes, it got tiresome to hear the cruisers with ear-splitting straight pipes and the sport bikes wound up to jet engine levels.

It's a weak argument I agree. But how does the physics not support it? I'm genuinely curious cause in my mind louder is still louder. Maybe the advantage is diminished somewhat due to doppler or other effects but surely this wouldn't refute louder sound = more easily heard?

meh, I'll just rev twice as high then ;)

It's a weak argument I agree. But how does the physics not support it? I'm genuinely curious cause in my mind louder is still louder. Maybe the advantage is diminished somewhat due to doppler or other effects but surely this wouldn't refute louder sound = more easily heard?

It's a directionality issue. The sort of sound, that issues from a motorcycle exhaust, isn't easy to judge the direction of. It reflects and confuses the issue. It's the sort of thing that has concerned emergency responders, for years, because even their sirens typically don't give much directionality. There have been efforts to improve this, in siren design.

Loud pipe proponents will say that at least it gets people looking but if they are looking in the wrong direction, it's a negative rather than a positive.

Here's a link with a bit of an explanation: http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=613993

They don't draw any attention, so they'll hate them.

Silly, that's what helmet mohawks and tattoos are for.

5773469797_61ba53e5b3_z.jpg

When you hear an emergency vehicle siren, it's impossible to tell where the vehicle is unless you look around. That's why people do stupid things blocking ambulances because they often are so busy looking around they don't know the vehicle is right behind them. Get >2 bikes around making noise, you have no idea where the noise is coming from.

Update: used the ios app that was recommended on a friend's phone. With some revving, it registered 92 - 95 db

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

Quick little test with my Cobra pipes and my new app says 70 db at idle and 85 db with some revving.

New app sounds broken.

So it seems like a low / inaccurate db reading?

I think so.

Update: used the ios app that was recommended on a friend's phone. With some revving, it registered 92 - 95 db

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

That's more believable.

That's more believable.

so still not ridiculously loud. I think it's comparable to my buddy 's stock road glide.

so still not ridiculously loud. I think it's comparable to my buddy 's stock road glide.

Those numbers say it's not ridiculously loud. But who's kidding who, a big handful of throttle at the wrong time is a different thing. Enjoy.

I say bring it on! I welcome the noise control.

My beef is that most of the Ferraris, Vettes and Maseratis in my neighborhood have louder exhausts than my bike, but bikes are the targeted group.

If nobody in society cares what impact they are having on the rest of society then you have anarchy not society.......an you better be a bad mf to survive that!

Some level of compromise is obviously needed and the only question I have is where does it fall, at 92DB? 96? 102? Will we have to get it measured annually? How much will that cost?

And all because of a portion of riders are loud? I think if you get convicted of having a loud bike, you should have to get it checked each year otherwise, not required.

just my opinion, YMMV!

+1
Effing retards with their straight piped bikes parading up and down the street, and purposely revving their engines at every stoplight / cafe.

Don't get me started on Gixxar-riding Ralentino Vossi who mistakes the DVP for a racetrack at 2am - ofcourse with the customary douchevest and M4 without baffles.

I agree, I live in downtown Toronto and every night at 3am I can hear Rossi revving at yonge and bloor.. this isnt just sport bikes but everything from 250 Ninjas to Lambos. Its a bit ridiculous.

I love the sound engines, but not at a stand still.

Back
Top Bottom