Lake Erie Loop 2024 | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Lake Erie Loop 2024

The app has a quick and easy erase data feature and the phone locks automatically.

@guzzirider
Forgive me if I missed this part but is this some sort of "race" to qualify for a some sore @ss award? Or just to prove it to yourself that you can do it and you have 2 guys standing there at the gas station with the hose in their hand as you arrive? ;)

@guzzirider
Forgive me if I missed this part but is this some sort of "race" to qualify for a some sore @ss award? Or just to prove it to yourself that you can do it and you have 2 guys standing there at the gas station with the hose in their hand as you arrive? ;)

If I see two guys at the gas station with their hoses in their hands, I'm not stopping there.

Just sayin'...

@guzzirider
Oh good…so I’m not the only one to have missed how this all got started…

A few tips from someone who lives in the Niagara Region area and travels the Link & QEW regularly.

1, Check the week before to make sure the Link (Lincoln Alexander) isn't closed that Sat. for repairs/inspection - etc. They do that from time to time in the warmer months just because they can :mad: If it's closed you'll have to continue on the 403 to the QEW; Niagara bound in Burlington. Also watch the speed limit on the Link. It's 80 much of the way and radar cops, if they're out, will track your speed from overpasses with a chase car on the ramp ready to go get ya. They're quite proud of this tactic!

2. Traffic on the QEW Niagara bound is very slow on any Sat. & Sun. from April thru Oct. during the morning & early afternoon. People coming to the Falls and NOTL for events at various vineyards creates a lot of stop & go traffic from morning till mid-afternoon. When you enter the QEW from the Link; keep to the right as long as possible. The other lanes to the left of you will be stopped & you'll be moving at good speed until that lane ends. Traffic starts moving better soon after that yet, still slowing to a stop at times.

3, Keep in mind there are several border crossings in the Niagara area. It's not unusual for one to be backed up while another is free-flowing. Check the real time border crossing times on your phone when you get close and make the call then on where to cross. If you cross before Fort Erie, just means you have more road on the US side rather than between St. Catharines & Fort Erie on the Canadian side.

Hope this helps. Have a great trip!!

A few tips from someone who lives in the Niagara Region area and travels the Link & QEW regularly.

1, Check the week before to make sure the Link (Lincoln Alexander) isn't closed that Sat. for repairs/inspection - etc. They do that from time to time in the warmer months just because they can :mad: If it's closed you'll have to continue on the 403 to the QEW; Niagara bound in Burlington. Also watch the speed limit on the Link. It's 80 much of the way and radar cops, if they're out, will track your speed from overpasses with a chase car on the ramp ready to go get ya. They're quite proud of this tactic!

2. Traffic on the QEW Niagara bound is very slow on any Sat. & Sun. from April thru Oct. during the morning & early afternoon. People coming to the Falls and NOTL for events at various vineyards creates a lot of stop & go traffic from morning till mid-afternoon. When you enter the QEW from the Link; keep to the right as long as possible. The other lanes to the left of you will be stopped & you'll be moving at good speed until that lane ends. Traffic starts moving better soon after that yet, still slowing to a stop at times.

3, Keep in mind there are several border crossings in the Niagara area. It's not unusual for one to be backed up while another is free-flowing. Check the real time border crossing times on your phone when you get close and make the call then on where to cross. If you cross before Fort Erie, just means you have more road on the US side rather than between St. Catharines & Fort Erie on the Canadian side.

Hope this helps. Have a great trip!!
Thanks, that was what I was looking for.
Local information is the best.
Would 405 to US 190 south to I-90 be a better choice.
The other option is turn off the 401 at 406/140 and drop down to 3
If things go well I should be approaching the Niagara Peninsula at about Noon Saturday.

Thanks, that was what I was looking for.
Local information is the best.
Would 405 to US 190 south to I-90 be a better choice.
The other option is turn off the 401 at 406/140 and drop down to 3
If things go well I should be approaching the Niagara Peninsula at about Noon Saturday.
In terms of the Border crossing you choose, I would just check the border crossing wait times online with your phone where ever you stop first ( I think you said you'd stop in London first?). If Fort Erie is your preferred crossing, just check that crossing time to make sure there isn't some undue delay. If there was a long wait there then yes, 405 to the Queenston/Lewiston Bridge would probably be better OR continue along the QEW for a bit more toward Ft. Erie and cut off at Hwy 420 to the Rainbow Bridge Crossing. Both those crossings will hook you up with US Hwy 190 south through Buffalo. Again, checking wait times at each of the border crossings will show which ones are best. If they are all short wait times then pick whichever one suits you best.

Traffic on the QEW once you get to the Niagara Peninsula should not be any issue. Where the delays are on the QEW is between the Link, where you will be getting on the QEW, and say Grimsby or Beamsville where traffic starts to thin out more. By the time you hit Jordan Station, you'll be flying no problem. From there to Fort Erie should be no issue providing there's no accidents etc.

Hope that clarifies things for you ;)

@guzzirider
That about covers the reason for this trip.
You did miss the part about trying not to get run over by trucks and cars on my little bike!
For more details see:
Lake Erie Loop
In terms of the Border crossing you choose, I would just check the border crossing wait times online with your phone where ever you stop first ( I think you said you'd stop in London first?). If Fort Erie is your preferred crossing, just check that crossing time to make sure there isn't some undue delay. If there was a long wait there then yes, 405 to the Queenston/Lewiston Bridge would probably be better OR continue along the QEW for a bit more toward Ft. Erie and cut off at Hwy 420 to the Rainbow Bridge Crossing. Both those crossings will hook you up with US Hwy 190 south through Buffalo. Again, checking wait times at each of the border crossings will show which ones are best. If they are all short wait times then pick whichever one suits you best.

Traffic on the QEW once you get to the Niagara Peninsula should not be any issue. Where the delays are on the QEW is between the Link, where you will be getting on the QEW, and say Grimsby or Beamsville where traffic starts to thin out more. By the time you hit Jordan Station, you'll be flying no problem. From there to Fort Erie should be no issue providing there's no accidents etc.

Hope that clarifies things for you ;)
Again Thanks for the info.
Unless there is a big line at customs in Buffalo that will be the route to take.
Queenston/Lewiston could be plan B
The Rainbow Bridge route looks like to much urban traffic to get to the 190.
I have been playing with my new average speed phone app and it really shows how traffic lights kill your average speed.
All I can hope for is traffic to at least be moving.
I am factoring in 2 hours of lost driving time (0 kph) and still allow me to make the trip in 11 hours.

Be happy you're joining the QEW from the Link and not coming from Mississauga or Etobicoke as the QEW is a nightmare on Sat. to Hamilton. You'll likely experience some delay for about 5km or so on the QEW just after getting on it but shouldn't be too bad for long. I also agree Queenston/Lewiston is the best 2nd option if the Peace Bridge has delays (y)

Have a great trip!

Has anyone have experience crossing from the US at the Bluewater Bridge instead of at Detroit.
It adds about 20km to the trip but saves 10 traffic lights on the 3 to get to the 401.
The 402 looks like it is limited access so speeds should be faster.

Has anyone have experience crossing from the US at the Bluewater Bridge instead of at Detroit.
It adds about 20km to the trip but saves 10 traffic lights on the 3 to get to the 401.
The 402 looks like it is limited access so speeds should be faster.
Bluewater is where I normally cross but haven't for a while. Going westbound on 402 is often a crapshow of backed up trucks. I saw someone die there when a truck went into the back of the stopped line without touching the brakes. Going eastbound, I don't remember being concerned about lineups. 402 is normally clear sailing (in the summer, can be crapshow in the winter as is 401 in that area).

Speed limit on 402 is 110 now. That won't change your speed but eliminates any concern about cops.

Looking at eastbound on a Saturday at about 9:00 am in June.

As I watch the traffic cams at the Blue Water, Ambassador & Pease Bridges I am seeing certain trends.
People with Nexus cards head straight to the long lineup at the Nexus gate even if the regular gates are empty.
If there is a long lineup of cars and trucks on the bridge you are stuck whether you have a Nexus card or not.
According to the wait times apps the Nexus wait time is often the same as the regular vehicle time.
With 270,000 applications backloged in Canada as of July 2023 and with the US processing about 100,000 a month
I see the situation getting worse.
I will be monoriting traffic flow to determine where to cross.
Since my top speed and date and times of border crossings are fixed the only way to increase average speed
is to reduce time spent at toll booths, gas stops, and customs/imagrations.

I was looking at the LEL site yesterday and I noticed that there is a planned route

Are you able to customize it to your needs?
I would think that the race participants need to follow the same route.

There is a "suggested" route.
This is a low budget event put on by locals in Wellington Ohio.
There will be a few check points but I suspect they will be close to Ohio.
At this point there are some conflicting details as to the current rules.
I am currently looking at crossing at Sarnia.
It adds 20km to the route (10 minutes at projected average speed)
This route has only 1 traffic light compared to the 10+ at Windsor.
The Sarnia route puts you direct onto the 402.
Getting stuck behind heavy laden trucks drag racing between stop lights can eat up 10 minutes very quickly.
I will have both routes in my navigation system and will decide when I get to Detroit.
The same logic applies at St Catherines.

When's the last time you crossed at Windsor? The extension of the 401 opened a while back, and it's half the distance along surface streets that it used to be. You can get on the 401 at the EC Row junction now.

When's the last time you crossed at Windsor? The extension of the 401 opened a while back, and it's half the distance along surface streets that it used to be. You can get on the 401 at the EC Row junction now.
I can't recall ever crossing back into Canada at Windsor but then I am not sure what I had for breakfast.
Are the traffic lights set for continuous flow are they set up for advance left turns?
Can you hit all the lights green at a certain speed?
Although the 401 has been extended it has a number of long underpasses that tend to slow down drivers not used to them.
The advantage of Sarnia is once you cross the bridge you are on a limited access road without traffic lights.
Unfortunately there are few traffic cams to judge traffic flow at the time I will be passing thru.
My estimated time of arrival at Canadian Custom/Immigration is a Saturday morning in June between 8:00 & 9:00 am.
Both the Ambassador and Blue Water crossings seem to have the same delay times.
I have monitored this and will continue to do so to establish trends.

If there’s a lack of traffic cameras one option would be to monitor google / Apple Maps at different times and it’ll give you a good idea of traffic flow.

First it's the Linc (I know, I know but it is short for Lincoln), it's 90kph (safe speed up to 110kph) from the 403 to the Redhill. Speed drops to 80kph (safe travel speed 100kph) at Dartnall where the name changes to the Redhill Parkway all the way to the QEW.
There are 3 spots the police like to sit in the direction towards the QEW. Right at Dartnall in the center median hiding in the dip/curve catching you just after you pass Upper Ottawa overpass. The other is on the Overpass at Greenhill with cruisers on ramp to catch you or sitting under said overpass when they're alone. They radar you as you come down the hill just past the on ramp from Mud Street/Upper Redhill. The next big one is they sit at the split between QEW Toronto bound & Niagara bound catching those who speed up at Barton.

Left lane bandits are always a problem but transports doing it on Linc & Redhill can make it worse due to two lanes only & people who can't seem to accelerate to merge correctly. However it can be hit or miss.

Green meanie is right check the Hamilton Twitter/X feed for planned closures just in case. They will announce well ahead of time. Also the congestion through Stoney Creek/Grimsby depending on the weekend can be bleh. Ontario 511 for other highway construction info. Speed of QEW is raised to signed 110kph for a while as well between Stoney Creek & St Catharines.

A person who drives the Redhill & Linc daily.

Attachments

• hot spots.jpg
    hot spots.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom