Lake Erie Loop 2024 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Lake Erie Loop 2024

guzzirider

I am looking for feedback on my route from Windsor to Buffalo.
I should clear customs/immigrations at about 8:30 am Saturday June 22 2024.
There will be a pit stop near London and just before the bridge to Buffalo.
The route I currently have is 3 - 401 - 403 -Lincoln M Alexander PWY - QEW to bridge
I will be riding a 1987 Honda CBX250 with a comfortable cruising speed of 120.
Consistent speed will get you there faster than higher speed for short periods and that is why I lean toward multi lane roads.
I am looking for feedback from people who actually ride these roads and not just opinions.
Keep in mind I am trying to maintain a 100kph AVERAGE speed.
Thanks for your feedback but please keep the subject mater on track.
Other comments can be left here.
Lake Erie Loop

You're crossing in fort erie? Your start point is just on this side of the border in Windsor? Ime, border crossings are the biggest wildcard. May be a couple minutes, may be a couple hours. I would try to get both border crossings done in the dark as the lines are normally much shorter. Do you have nexus? A motorbike may be able to filter over to the nexus lines and take a ton of time out of the crossing.

Sounds like a fun ride.

We start in Wellington Ohio at a fixed time of 6:00 am and travel clockwise to return at the start point. (1050 km)
Night crossing is not an option.
I was wondering if the Nexus card will be a benefit.
It is a Saturday and should be to Fort Erie by early afternoon.

We start in Wellington Ohio at a fixed time of 6:00 am and travel clockwise to return at the start point. (1050 km)
Night crossing is not an option.
I was wondering if the Nexus card will be a benefit.
It is a Saturday and should be to Fort Erie by early afternoon.
I haven't been there in a long time but apparently there are dedicated nexus lanes at the peace bridge. I don't know if you submit now if you would have a nexus card by June. Recent delays have been epic.

18 to 20 months for a NEXUS card.
At least I would have it for 2025!

FWIW we caged Toronto to Winnipeg in 21 hours straight, two drivers, averaging a touch under 100 KPH. To do that we were closer to 130 KPH. Making up time is hard and dependent on a lot of factors.

Fatigue kills.

Where do you pay the toll for the Ambassadore Bridge coming from Detroit?

FWIW we caged Toronto to Winnipeg in 21 hours straight, two drivers, averaging a touch under 100 KPH. To do that we were closer to 130 KPH. Making up time is hard and dependent on a lot of factors.

Fatigue kills.
The trick to higher average speed is to minimize stops. Every second you are not moving is brutal on your average (stop for six minutes an hour and you need to drive at least 10% faster to make that up).

BOOST shakes in a sippy cup and I only have to stop for gas and washroom break!

There is a toll plaza on the US side before you cross. Credit cards only.
Does this look about right comming off I-75?
Will be my first stop of the day and would like to gas and use washroom before customs/immigration.

Detriot Bridge.jpg

If I remember right, there is a duty-free filling station as part of that loop, and there should be a washroom inside duty-free. There's a left branch of the I75 exit ramp that goes to the inside of that loop which is where the duty-free is. The loop that you've shown is the path that bypasses duty-free.

Open Source Maps show it better.
The blue route line is not perfect but I am not driving an Tesla so it should be fine.
There is a fence dividing the entrance to duty free from the direct route thru so all I have to do is stay right.

Bridge toll Detroit.jpg

Last edited:
Correction, the outside loop has access to the duty-free and to the car filling station; the one on the inside of the loop is the truck filling station. It's pretty easy.

In order to beat the fastest time of 9hrs 34min set on a Aprilla RS125
I will need volunteers to gas up my bike while I run to the washroom.
Only 2 gas stops in Canada with one near London and one at Fort Erie.
I am looking at setting up a real time tracking site to watch my progress if I attend this event.

The trick to higher average speed is to minimize stops. Every second you are not moving is brutal on your average (stop for six minutes an hour and you need to drive at least 10% faster to make that up).

Also, make sure you base your speed on some kind of GPS independent of your stock speedometer.

Most vehicles' speedos are calibrated to read slightly faster (sometimes up to 10%) than actual speed.

So it you're going 120 km/h indicated, your GPS might reveal your actual speed to be 108 km/h.

That kind of differential will definitely play havoc with your timing calculations over the long run.

Not My First Rodeo!
I don't pay much attention to what the speedo says.
I govern my speed by the time it takes to travel between fixed points including stops.
As it has been said before "the race is won or lost in the pits"
The advantage of a tiddler is you can drive with throttle wide open all the time.
I will pre-ride the course a week before on the Guzzi just to familiarize myself with all the stoping points.
I am monitoring traffic cams along the route to determine if there are any pinch points.
I will also have escape routes in case of congestion caused by accidents.
The big problem will be customs/immigration stops without having a NEXUS card (up to 2 year wait time).
It may be able to get the approval for a NEXUS card faster by going directly to the US Offices for the interview.
Fortunately the stops will be at lower traffic volume times.

This is very interesting! Always wanted to loop the big lakes.

Good luck OP! Looking forward to the report.

Just downloaded an app to my phone that uses the gps chip to give average speed.
The average speed is measured constantly including while stopped.
This app does not clutter up the screen with useless information and graphics so it is doomed to failure.

Speedo.jpg

Just downloaded an app to my phone that uses the gps chip to give average speed.
The average speed is measured constantly including while stopped.
This app does not clutter up the screen with useless information and graphics so it is doomed to failure.

View attachment 64337
Lock your phone at the border and in the unlikely chance you talk to a cop.

Back
Top Bottom