blackberry 10 | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

blackberry 10

PS, you know what was also a hot piece of hardware but made less splash than an Olympic diver? Looks very BB10-like to me, came out over 8 months ago, and did nothing for Sony!
sony-xperia-s-dark-silver.png

But what's that you say, they are strong in developing markets? well, have a look at what the Chinese have been doing during RIM's power nap.
http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/12/28/m...ll-sides-will-officially-be-announced-at-ces/

Right, so the Sony phone is a disaster, but the china company Hawaii and their new Assc-end phone, with tiny marketshare, that nobody has ever heard of is going to hit one out of the park?

Reality check......They are just another hardware maker. Just like Nokia, HTC, and LG.... all companies sucking rocks because soon, Google is going to keep Android to itself and enter the hardware business, they don't need these other monkeys anymore, thats why they bought Motorola. 2 years from now, Android will be a different OS than we know it today. Google will keep the choice parts of the Android OS, the others will get modified versions. Nokia, has to compete against Microsoft who is developing their own hardware as well. Competing hardware wise against the company that is providing your software? Bye bye Nokia and everyone else.

Even the mighty Samsung is introducing their own OS now called Tizen, cause they know they can't count on Android in the future anymore.

Hawaii hardware doesnt stand a chance. At least Sony has much more going for them in their other business if the phone business flunks.

At the very least RIM is taking a huge gamble, but they had to. If they fail, I'll be grateful that at least they tried. They really had no other choice.

Last edited:
Right, so the Sony phone is a disaster, but the china company Hawaii and their new Assc-end phone, with tiny marketshare, that nobody has ever heard of is going to hit one out of the park?

Reality check......They are just another hardware maker. Just like Nokia, HTC, and LG.... all companies sucking rocks because soon, Google is going to keep Android to itself and enter the hardware business, they don't need these other monkeys anymore, thats why they bought Motorola. 2 years from now, Android will be a different OS than we know it today. Google will keep the choice parts of the Android OS, the others will get modified versions. Nokia, has to compete against Microsoft who is developing their own hardware as well. Competing hardware wise against the company that is providing your software? Bye bye Nokia and everyone else.

Even the mighty Samsung is introducing their own OS now called Tizen, cause they know they can't count on Android in the future anymore.

Hawaii hardware doesnt stand a chance. At least Sony has much more going for them in their other business if the phone business flunks.

At the very least RIM is taking a huge gamble, but they had to. If they fail, I'll be grateful that at least they tried. They really had no other choice.

Honestly I like your positivity.

What I meant by the hardware flop on Sony's party is that good hardware isn't enough. Sony is a light touch in the mobile phone market and really just takes the odd stab here and there after a valiant effort in the SE days.

My point about Huawei is not that they will threaten anyone in Western markets, but that they will seriously threaten in Eastern markets, where RIM is just plain lying to people when they claim that is their last bastion of support. Or it is just plain delusional.

RIM's market is battling out for 3rd here in NA. Do they have the killer 1-2 punch of hardware and software? Not likely, especially when you make the point of Android going into the handset market, Samsung going into the software market, MS going into the hardware market (and by the way....the Surface is a quality piece of hardware that smacks the PB around).

So the hardware / software players will soon include: Apple, MS, Google, Samsung, and BB. We can expect Nokia to bow out, perhaps leaving HTC and LG on their last legs. But even in that market I don't see BB challenging for 3rd. I see them fighting for dead last and MIA in Asian markets. RIM can't handle a global fight and spread their resources too thin and take their eyes off the ball in the NA market. If they fall back on the mythical Asian markets, they will have their a$zes handed to them in a rapidly evolving market with low labour wages and extremely rapid development cycles.

2 years ago it was mildly embarrassing that China made the iPhone. Now that's a given. No one would have bought a Huawei 2 years ago, and now they are raising eyebrows. Huawei is another emerging Giant that handle networks, software and infrastructure as well as handsets and tablets.

So why again would anyone in the developing world buy a BB?

But you're right, interesting times ahead, and going down fighting is appreciated.

Lets face it, Blackberry is sinking. **** product ever since the Blackberry Playbook came out. Those who used it know to stay away.

But you're right, interesting times ahead, and going down fighting is appreciated.

Pull up a chair, and break out the popcorn.

2013 will be a wild ride.....

1) will RIM pull this off?
2) Can samsung convince the masses that a new ground up OS is the way to go?
3) Will the strictly hardware makers, HTC LG et all reinvent themselves somehow?
4) How will makers of the dying desktop market and slowing down laptop biz, like Dell and HP do?
5) Will Apple do anything interesting?

At the end of the day, the consumer is the winner.

Pull up a chair, and break out the popcorn.

2013 will be a wild ride.....

1) will RIM pull this off?
2) Can samsung convince the masses that a new ground up OS is the way to go?
3) Will the strictly hardware makers, HTC LG et all reinvent themselves somehow?
4) How will makers of the dying desktop market and slowing down laptop biz, like Dell and HP do?
5) Will Apple do anything interesting?

At the end of the day, the consumer is the winner.
The desktop market is not going to die. Many employees have zero need for portable/mobile computing. My work for instance, I don't need to be able to do my job anywhere but my desk at work, the company that I work for will not pay the extra costs of mobile/portable computing (not just the small form factor but the cost of securing equipment so it doesn't walk away) when I'm already chained to a desk. There is also many jobs that require the power of a work station or the need of large displays that aren't cost effective on a notebook never mind a tablet.

The desktop market is not going to die. Many employees have zero need for portable/mobile computing. My work for instance, I don't need to be able to do my job anywhere but my desk at work, the company that I work for will not pay the extra costs of mobile/portable computing (not just the small form factor but the cost of securing equipment so it doesn't walk away) when I'm already chained to a desk. There is also many jobs that require the power of a work station or the need of large displays that aren't cost effective on a notebook never mind a tablet.

The desktop PC market will likely never completely evaporate for the reasons you mentioned above, but it will be relegated to a very small subset of exclusively corporate users who only upgrade their hardware every 5+ years.. hardly sustainable business for anyone who doesn't seek other significant areas of revenue.

Playbook...... but it confirmed my hatred of touch-screen keyboards. Touch-screen is ok as a substitute for a mouse pointer, but not for typing. Holding out for a BB10 device with a physical keyboard ...

I'm waiting for the keyboard version too.

I'm probably going to end up with the keyboard version in the end too, .

Im a huge fan of keyboards too, but....

Here is one of a few reviews I've come across about how hard RIM worked on the BB10 touch screen keyboard. Jus saying, don't knock it til you try it, cause the full screen phone is where BB10 OS will shine. The keyboard model will hamper the experience IMHO.

"But what wowed me as a die-hard QWERTY lover was the keyboard. Admittedly, I have not used iPhones, but this keyboard left the Android keyboards, even on large devices such as Samsung Galaxy Note 2, far behind. The individual keys seemed perfectly spaced, just like RIM's physical keyboards, and with suggested words popping up not just at the top of the keyboard but across individual keys, it's brilliant! RIM claims the new BlackBerry 10 keyboard learns a user's writing style and suggests words to help them type faster and accurately. And if you tend to mistype certain letters, the keyboard will remember and subtly adjust to make sure you hit the right key. I’ve hated touch screens for years primarily because of the keyboard, since I email quite a bit and write extensively using my smartphone, but this keyboard, for the first time ever, left me in high anticipation of a full-touch smartphone. Urpo Karjalainen, RIM's Regional Managing Director for Asia Pacific, swears that he can type faster on the new BB10 keyboard than on his Bold 9900, which has perhaps the best physical keyboard to date. This is especially because the newer on-screen keyboard allows him to write without typing."

http://tech2.in.com/features/smartphones/will-the-rimpire-strike-back-with-blackberry-10/671922

Honestly I like your positivity.

RIM's market is battling out for 3rd here in NA.

Yes, it is my hope and desire that if they achieve their realistic goal of #3 in the market, and they stay there. which I believe is highly achievable based on the previews and features seen on BB10.

When a company gets too big and successful, they tend to rest on their laurels. The old RIM management was arrogant and stopped innovating. We're seeing this same type of arrogance with Apple too now. Slow to adopt NFC (which they will be introducing now), slow to make bigger phone sceens (which they are working on), finally introducing a smaller ipad based on market pressure, same old predicatable updates on their phones and macbooks, etc.

Its my secret hope that RIM enjoys moderate, but not substantial success.

Yes, it is my hope and desire that if they achieve their realistic goal of #3 in the market, and they stay there. which I believe is highly achievable based on the previews and features seen on BB10.

When a company gets too big and successful, they tend to rest on their laurels. The old RIM management was arrogant and stopped innovating. We're seeing this same type of arrogance with Apple too now. Slow to adopt NFC (which they will be introducing now), slow to make bigger phone sceens (which they are working on), finally introducing a smaller ipad based on market pressure, same old predicatable updates on their phones and macbooks, etc.

It would also be nice if people hoped that 10,000 Canadian jobs didn't disappear.

Im a huge fan of keyboards too, but.... Jus saying, don't knock it til you try it...

I'm probably going to end up with the keyboard version in the end too, but I want to try and like the full touch, so i'm going to pick up a z10 on launch day, put it through the paces for a few weeks, and if I'm not satisfied with the typing experience (ie. just as fast, and no typos!) then i'll give it to my wife and grab the x10.

pretty sure that's what I said.. LOL

Im a huge fan of keyboards too, but....

Here is one of a few reviews I've come across about how hard RIM worked on the BB10 touch screen keyboard. Jus saying, don't knock it til you try it, cause the full screen phone is where BB10 OS will shine. The keyboard model will hamper the experience IMHO.

"But what wowed me as a die-hard QWERTY lover was the keyboard. Admittedly, I have not used iPhones, but this keyboard left the Android keyboards, even on large devices such as Samsung Galaxy Note 2, far behind. The individual keys seemed perfectly spaced, just like RIM's physical keyboards, and with suggested words popping up not just at the top of the keyboard but across individual keys, it's brilliant! RIM claims the new BlackBerry 10 keyboard learns a user's writing style and suggests words to help them type faster and accurately. And if you tend to mistype certain letters, the keyboard will remember and subtly adjust to make sure you hit the right key. I’ve hated touch screens for years primarily because of the keyboard, since I email quite a bit and write extensively using my smartphone, but this keyboard, for the first time ever, left me in high anticipation of a full-touch smartphone. Urpo Karjalainen, RIM's Regional Managing Director for Asia Pacific, swears that he can type faster on the new BB10 keyboard than on his Bold 9900, which has perhaps the best physical keyboard to date. This is especially because the newer on-screen keyboard allows him to write without typing."

http://tech2.in.com/features/smartphones/will-the-rimpire-strike-back-with-blackberry-10/671922

Seriously....give the Note 2 a try. It does all of this already. I have had the Note 2 for two weeks after ditching my bb....already I am as fast if not faster, and I can "type" in 3 ways...
1) predictive text type
2) cursive or (pretty sloppy and fast) printing with the "S-pen"
3) or verbal dictation. The other day I dictated return texts and emails as I was crossing the street!!!! Heads up and still texting!!! Sorry but the Samsung already beat BB10 to the punch.

By the way...Samsung Note 2 software update....split screen running of apps!!!!! Just like Windows!!!!!

Last edited:

Reasonable and level headed. Or they could fade away like (Sony) Ericsson after dominating the mp3 / Walkman phone market for a couple years. They were right there in the old gen 2, Motorola flip-phone, Nokia (with that wormy game) days, then took on the market lead in the gen 3 MP3 / basic web browsing days, then just faaaaaaaded away in the 4th gen era of smart-phones. RIM might just fade away in the touch-screen phase of the Smart-phone 2.0 era. RIM was all about Smart-phone 1.0 and will not be able to survive in the next 5th gen era (mobile computing....with a phone thrown in for good measure). RIM has no footing in the computing / desktop / laptop / software / tablet market. And much of their success was based on Microsoft Enterprise and Exchange as MS wasn't in the mobile computing market, and BB wasn't a threat to them either. BB is alone in the ether these days and has nothing to carve out a niche any longer.

Or they could fade away like (Sony) Ericsson after dominating the mp3 / Walkman phone market for a couple years. They were right there in the old gen 2, Motorola flip-phone, Nokia (with that wormy game) days, then took on the market lead in the gen 3 MP3 / basic web browsing days, then just faaaaaaaded away in the 4th gen era of smart-phones. RIM might just fade away in the touch-screen phase of the Smart-phone 2.0 era. RIM was all about Smart-phone 1.0 and will not be able to survive in the next 5th gen era (mobile computing....with a phone thrown in for good measure). RIM has no footing in the computing / desktop / laptop / software / tablet market. And much of their success was based on Microsoft Enterprise and Exchange as MS wasn't in the mobile computing market, and BB wasn't a threat to them either. BB is alone in the ether these days and has nothing to carve out a niche any longer.

RIM was apparently supposed to be fading away and going bankrupt since 2008.

Their fading was supposed to be so bad, that they wouldn't have any money left to launch BB10.

I factored various possibilities while looking at my bank account, I declined from purchasing BB stock. This thread contributed to my decision.

You going to regret that decision. Its a good stock for a short. I already made 3k on my bb stock.

I wonder if the Gov't would offer a bail out since RIM employs so many Canadians? They did it for the auto sector.......then the car companies introduced a whack of new cars with good features. You would assume it would cost less to redesign a bunch of new phones...makes you wonder.

Back
Top Bottom