blackberry 10 | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

blackberry 10

Haters gonna Hate.

Blackberry is horribly behind right now......the haven't released a new phone in a year and a half. People are hating on them not realizing they are putting sooooo much effort in to their new phone/software. None of the phones out now can even compare security wise to RIM. The samsung galaxy is the best phone out tomorrow. The new BB10 phones will be the best phone out tomorrow!

The new Playbook better NOT be built into my next car, but fully compatible anyways. It better charge simply by placing it anywhere in the car. It better have a built in GPS security / alarm tracking device. The car better call me or email me with security updates. I should be able to access all systems of my car from my Playbook when I am not even at my car, like system diagnostics, fuel levels, etc. I want to be able to access any vehicle camera and monitor whats actually happening around my car via the PB when I am away from it. I want it to auto record accidents, but not constantly be running and rat me out to the insurance companies if I speed a little (local control - not invasive monitoring).

This is innovation and progression that could save RIM. This is a product worthy of a delay. Oh and I want it in 6 months in my new commoners car, not vapour-ware in a Porsche 911.

Your dream may come true with BB10. Its quite clear one of the next steps in tech is for your car to be an extension of your phone. QNX which BB10 is heavily based on is currently used by the many automakers such as Porsche BMW Honda Audi and more. RIM has said repeatedly that part of their transition with this OS is to have it compatible with cars, medical equipment, etc which all currently run on QNX.

http://www.transportationtechnologyventures.com/blog/?tag=qnx

2uqbuwg.jpg

2m812sh.jpg

You mean you skipped out on the awesome $700+ Surface tablet over the $119 Playbook?

:laughing3:

zluhbn.png

The surface is a little too light weight for work purposes. Note2 has ticket all the boxes for scale and price point. Surface Pro would be ideal but fully spec'ed amd loades with Office and Outlook, keyboard and 128gb of ROM for the $900 mark. but that's not gonna happen and the surface pro finds itself in Lenovo Yoga territory, the traditional working tablet niche. For that reason the Note has become such a success.

el figured out what I'll do with my PB now...l loaded it with P9OX videos to use at the gym and share with the wife.

Your dream may come true with BB10. Its quite clear one of the next steps in tech is for your car to be an extension of your phone. QNX which BB10 is heavily based on is currently used by the many automakers such as Porsche BMW Honda Audi and more. RIM has said repeatedly that part of their transition with this OS is to have it compatible with cars, medical equipment, etc which all currently run on QNX.

http://www.transportationtechnologyventures.com/blog/?tag=qnx

2uqbuwg.jpg

2m812sh.jpg

Vapourware for well over a year now.-They will be playing catch up in this niche as well. Still nothing official from RIM and I can't see even phone to car sync in less than 18 months from RIM.

Is this what all the waiting was about? Really? Meh. I expect they will at best retain some fan bois but not break any new ground.
http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/12/30/r...10-gets-pictured-shown-rocking-blackberry-10/
http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/12/29/yet-another-look-at-the-upcoming-blackberry-z10/

It really took 2 years to make a smaller playbook? 2+ years to tweak this"amazing" QNX software? The XIO looks like a tweaked Porsche BB. Sorry but this isn't enough.

But what's that you say, they are strong in developing markets? well, have a look at what the Chinese have been doing during RIM's power nap.
http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/12/28/m...ll-sides-will-officially-be-announced-at-ces/

Is this what all the waiting was about? Really? Meh. I expect they will at best retain some fan bois but not break any new ground.
http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/12/30/r...10-gets-pictured-shown-rocking-blackberry-10/
http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/12/29/yet-another-look-at-the-upcoming-blackberry-z10/

It really took 2 years to make a smaller playbook? 2+ years to tweak this"amazing" QNX software? The XIO looks like a tweaked Porsche BB. Sorry but this isn't enough.

But what's that you say, they are strong in developing markets? well, have a look at what the Chinese have been doing during RIM's power nap.
http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/12/28/m...ll-sides-will-officially-be-announced-at-ces/

Wow. They've bulit a 6" cell phone. For those of us old enough, we had those in the 80's.

Wow. They've bulit a 6" cell phone. For those of us old enough, we had those in the 80's.

Jokes aside, they built / copied a tablet + phone. And they can deliver it quicker and cheaper to developing markets before RIM can. RIM effectively has no base / niche anymore. They also just lost a patent suit to Nokia!!!

Here WERE the arguments FOR RIM 1 year ago:
1) Security (Apple and EVEN Android have managed to convince enough government agencies this is not an issue any longer)
2) BBM (pfft.....Whatsapp killed that 2 years ago)
3) the blinking LED (My note 2 has it.....no biggie, but BB fanbois clung to that one like grim death...and not even a patent issue!)
4) Strong presence and cache in the developing world (India, Indonesia, Middle East, South Africa)....(Really? Really? The Chinese will destroy RIM in those markets and Huawei is evidence of their progress)
5) physical QWERTY keyboard. (More of a preference thing now. Hasn't stopped Apple or Samsung nor hindered MS's emergence...The Z10 is just another bold/curve/Porsche BB and if those haven't stopped the bleeding the Z10 won't either. The Z10 is their to retain the die hards. The X10 is supposed to save RIM)
6) BES data plan ($40 + $10 licence / mo to RIM was once attractive to IT departments when PDA data plans were $100/mo, but now that PDA plans have been dropping through "retention" and competition in the market, and the rise of demand for LTE networks. RIM's $50/mo for a$z backward slow BES data management and painfully sluggish web browsing, streaming and attachment opening is actually now a rip off!) Anyone find a BB on LTE faster due to "better data management"? Or do LTE devices smoke every BB device out there? When business needs data fast, what good is slow cheap data streams? BES has now become RIM's bane!

So what exactly do RIM have going for them? QNX? What kind of garbage software takes 2 + years after acquisition to modify into a competitive OS? Could have started from scratch like Android and come up with a better system by now!

http://www.osnews.com/story/23134/Research_In_Motion_Buys_QNX_Software/

PS, QNX was already licensed to plethora of auto companies at the time of its acquisition. RIM has had virtually ZEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERO development or integration with car interfaces despite the potential!!!! RIM is mooching off the cache of QNX developers, while they themselves have done nothing with it! And I am tired of hearing how "stable" QNX is! It's nooooooooooooooooooot!!!! I have to reset my PB once a week because it stalls when video recording, stalls the web browser, stalls various Android apps, and so on....only to be met with a 4:30 restart cycle....and it doesn't even run a phone!!! You know how many times I have had to send back White Screen BB handsets in the 3 years my company forced them on us? 3 times in 3 years! So how exactly are they going to convince us that this new QNX, which is already unstable (as any other OS), on what has been traditionally inferior hardware, now pushed to maximum capacity (running LTE, smartphone, GPS, multimedia device) is going to be an improvement on any other system currently available?

Meanwhile the first commercially available Android version (1.0) was released in 2008 and has stomped all over QNX, BB, and iOS and been developing like wildfire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history

"Since April 2009, Android versions have been developed under a codename and released in alphabetical order: Cupcake, Donut, Eclair, Froyo, Gingerbread, Honeycomb, Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS), and Jelly Bean. As of 2012, over 400 million active devices use the Android OS worldwide"...SINCE 1 YEAR BEFORE QNX ACQUISITION BY RIM!!!!!!!!!!!! That's how far they have come!!!!! Again, what makes RIM think they can swim in this market?

So as I say, RIM at beeeeeeeeeeest will be competing for 3rd place scraps with MS in the Western Markets, and entering into a dog fight with the likes of Huawei in developing markets. As developing markets "develop" they aspire to the high end consumables of the West, and as such, targeting an Indian working class slum to market a $500 handset may sound like an "emerging market", but the Chinese and even Indian companies will cram $100 gadgets into those slums quicker and faster and offer the 3rd world working class the opportunity to imitate the West with affordable bootleg tech gear. When it comes to the elite of the developing world, well, Apple and Samsung, HTC, and so on already have RIM beat there.

No offence to Arabs....I am one....but the argument that the Middle East still thinks RIM is cool, is actually the kiss of death! Arabs produce and contribute nothing to the global market, let alone the tech industries! I wouldn't value any trend in the Middle East as being anything more than a sad last on the bandwagon final hurrah. The Middle Eastern market will happily consume whatever the West tosses their way, from weapons systems, to architecture, to cars, to jet fighters, to satellite TV, to pop culture, to tech gadgets!

Asians can out develop RIM in under 2 years and lead their own tech trends, as well as consume them!

Africa is no market to brag about....and the Chinese will be all over that way before RIM if they aren't already.

Last edited:
Check out the specs of the new all touch handset. Not too shabby.

Higher screen resolution and ppi then the current Iphone5. Removable battery. 2gigs of RAM. Nice size 4.2" screen. Expandable storage. Apparently, the front and rear cams are HD.

They also have a high end "Aristo" phone in the works with Quad core and all the other goodies slated for summer 2013 release.

Glad I held off on the Nexus 4 for now, need to see how this phone stacks up in real world use.

Come on Jan 30!

• Processor: Dual Core 1.5GHz TI OMAP 4470・ Qualcomm Snapdragon MSM8960 (US and Canada)
  • Radio: Quad Band HSPA+ / UMTS (850/900/1700/1900/2100MHz) ・Quad Band GSM / GPRS (850/900/1800MHz) ・Quad Band LTE: Bands 2,4,5,13,17 (700, 850,1700, 1900MHz)
  • Display: 4.2"・1280x768・356PPI ・24 Bit Color ・15:9
  • Camera: 8MP Auto Focus ・2MP Front Facing ・Flash ・1080p Video Recording
  • Memory: 2GB RAM ・16GB Internal Storage ・Hot Swappable microSD Slot
  • WiFi: 802.11 a/b/g/n ・2.4/5GHz
  • GPS: Autonomous ・A-GPS
  • Battery: 1800mAh Removable
  • Sensors: Ambient Light Detector ・Accelerometer ・Magnetometer ・Gyroscope ・Face Detect for phone calls
  • Connectivity: NFC ・microUSB ・microHDMI-Out ・Bluetooth 4.0 LE

It was never BB's hardware that was the problem...it was their counter intinuative software and interaction that i couldnt stand!

With that being said....LOOK AN IPHONE5...oh wait....no, its a BB...

Check out the specs of the new all touch handset. Not too shabby.

Higher screen resolution and ppi then the current Iphone5. Removable battery. 2gigs of RAM. Nice size 4.2" screen. Expandable storage. Apparently, the front and rear cams are HD.

They also have a high end "Aristo" phone in the works with Quad core and all the other goodies slated for summer 2013 release.

Glad I held off on the Nexus 4 for now, need to see how this phone stacks up in real world use.

Come on Jan 30!

• Processor: Dual Core 1.5GHz TI OMAP 4470・ Qualcomm Snapdragon MSM8960 (US and Canada)
  • Radio: Quad Band HSPA+ / UMTS (850/900/1700/1900/2100MHz) ・Quad Band GSM / GPRS (850/900/1800MHz) ・Quad Band LTE: Bands 2,4,5,13,17 (700, 850,1700, 1900MHz)
  • Display: 4.2"・1280x768・356PPI ・24 Bit Color ・15:9
  • Camera: 8MP Auto Focus ・2MP Front Facing ・Flash ・1080p Video Recording
  • Memory: 2GB RAM ・16GB Internal Storage ・Hot Swappable microSD Slot
  • WiFi: 802.11 a/b/g/n ・2.4/5GHz
  • GPS: Autonomous ・A-GPS
  • Battery: 1800mAh Removable
  • Sensors: Ambient Light Detector ・Accelerometer ・Magnetometer ・Gyroscope ・Face Detect for phone calls
  • Connectivity: NFC ・microUSB ・microHDMI-Out ・Bluetooth 4.0 LE

I was playing with a Z10 the other day. I'll probably still go for an X10. But thats so I can still type and talk and drive and drink my Timmys and read my book all at the same time.

I had the opportunity to play with my sister's Playbook over Christmas. Seems pretty decent ... much better to use than the older model Blackberry that I had for work a few years ago ... but it confirmed my hatred of touch-screen keyboards. Touch-screen is ok as a substitute for a mouse pointer, but not for typing. Holding out for a BB10 device with a physical keyboard ...

i had the opportunity to play with my sister's playbook over christmas. Seems pretty decent ... Much better to use than the older model blackberry that i had for work a few years ago ... But it confirmed my hatred of touch-screen keyboards. Touch-screen is ok as a substitute for a mouse pointer, but not for typing. Holding out for a bb10 device with a physical keyboard ...

x10

Good for the china Hawaii Ascend!

I think this is fantastic. More competition the better. In the end, us consumers win.

Its because of Apple and Google, that companies like RIM, Nokia, HTC, Sony and LG need to step up their game to survive.

Again, we win as the consumer. Bring it on.

.. but it confirmed my hatred of touch-screen keyboards. Touch-screen is ok as a substitute for a mouse pointer, but not for typing. Holding out for a BB10 device with a physical keyboard ...

I hear you loud and clear. I've talked to LOTS of people who are holding out for the BB10 keyboard version.

I'm still sitting on the fence on this one. I love qwerty on my current BB. My issue is that BB10 was primarily designed for a full touch screen and this is where the market is heading and why they are releasing a touch screen first, and I feel thats how this OS will work best. RIM swears up and down that they have put so much effort into making the touch screen keyboard work amazingly well that you won't care about the Qwerty.

I guess we'll find out shortly when we can get our grubby paws on the new devices.

I'm probably going to end up with the keyboard version in the end too, but I want to try and like the full touch, so i'm going to pick up a z10 on launch day, put it through the paces for a few weeks, and if I'm not satisfied with the typing experience (ie. just as fast, and no typos!) then i'll give it to my wife and grab the x10.

We are moving to a mobile device age, and why desktop as we know it will be dead.

BB10 will be aimed for use beyond smartphones.

"Mr. Heins has grand ambitions for the BlackBerry 10 phone in the corporate workplace. He said that RIM is pitching the new phone to corporations as a replacement for desktop and laptop computers in offices over time. He sketched out a situation in which BlackBerry 10 phones will act as building passes for employees who, once at their desks, will connect their BlackBerrys to keyboards and displays.
“Whenever you enter an office, you don’t have your laptop with you, you have your mobile computer power exactly here,” Mr. Heins said, patting a BlackBerry 10 phone sitting in a holster on his hip. “You will not carry a laptop within three to five years.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-BAWACgCmU&feature=player_embedded

Last edited:
We are moving to a mobile device age, and why desktop as we know it will be dead.

BB10 will be aimed for use beyond smartphones.

"Mr. Heins has grand ambitions for the BlackBerry 10 phone in the corporate workplace. He said that RIM is pitching the new phone to corporations as a replacement for desktop and laptop computers in offices over time. He sketched out a situation in which BlackBerry 10 phones will act as building passes for employees who, once at their desks, will connect their BlackBerrys to keyboards and displays.
“Whenever you enter an office, you don’t have your laptop with you, you have your mobile computer power exactly here,” Mr. Heins said, patting a BlackBerry 10 phone sitting in a holster on his hip. “You will not carry a laptop within three to five years.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-BAWACgCmU&feature=player_embedded

I don't believe a word of this. This PB was supposed to be just that, a professional leap frog over the gimmicky toy that is the iPad. In the end it did nothing well. RIM dropped the ball so bad, that I simply don't believe they are able to deliver what Heinz has stated above. Microsoft has already made in roads into that realm of replacing the desktop, as has Samsung. RIM is just paying it lip service at this point. And if they project 3 years, well then they will take 6, when the competition will be there inside of 2 years. If any of you have used the Note or Note2 you'll notice BB10 is already behind.

Anyone who has tried using the PB for work purposes knows QNX is a disaster. Simple things like native filing systems are bewilderingly poor. The way the software handles and manages MS exchange and constantly misfiles email folders, the way it only has a 30 day retro sync, the way it cannot synchronize Outlook notes...and so on. Sure it swooshes nicely from side to side, but that is all just surface dressing.

There is something fundamentally wrong with RIM, either they are stubborn, counterintuitive....the engineers I mean, or they just fluked the whole email / keyboard thing in the start and have been sinking ever since.

Did everyone forget they network outages throughout Europe and North America on at least 3 occasions? Do people forget the dreaded "white screen"?

Coming from the Curve, I can say it did 2 things very well....it had a quick to hand physical media shortcut keys, and was good for typing. Having now made the switch the touch screen keyboard, though I do make more mistakes, I have noticed the predictive text on Samsung is nothing short of amazing! You can hit every wrong letter in a word and it will predict the correct word, merely because the letters you hit were beside other letters that would have made sense. Essentially they have predicted mis-types!!! Due to RIM's astoundingly bad software on the PB / QNX, I have lost total faith BB can match any other touch screen keyboard.

I do miss the physical media short cut keys though, great for switching tunes in your pocket or while jogging.

PS, you know what was also a hot piece of hardware but made less splash than an Olympic diver? Looks very BB10-like to me, came out over 8 months ago, and did nothing for Sony!
sony-xperia-s-dark-silver.png

Back
Top Bottom