2016 GSX-R design rumors - Flip flopper's Unite! | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2016 GSX-R design rumors - Flip flopper's Unite!

Proper awd in the winter greatly improves handling and braking. I agree not really needed, but I do travel to mountains and twisties. Aggressive snow driving is thrilling.

I am curious what car do you have with a viscous diff other than subbie?

Last edited:
Proper awd in the winter greatly improves handling and braking. I agree not really needed, but I do travel to mountains and twisties. Aggressive snow driving is thrilling.

I am curious what car do you have with a viscous diff other than subbie?
AWD is more fun in the snow but it can actually be more dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. Of course the fancy electronically controlled vectoring ones with stability control can definitely improve handling. When the power transfers to the rear you can go from understeer to oversteer. I do love it, though. It does nothing for braking since the brakes are the same on an AWD vehicle vs non-AWD although you do get 4 wheel engine braking.

I have a base model AWD 2005 Mitsubishi Outlander. It has no stability control or ABS and it came before they switched to the electronic selectable system. The only ones I've seen that have this set up are from Quebec (like mine is). I had a 2009 WRX265 but I sold it last year.

It hurts braking, because AWD adds weight. Weight is the enemy of short braking distances.

Suzuki Samurai FTW. If you've ever owned one and pushed it hard through snow you'll find it goes through ANYTHING. Super underpowered but put it in L4WD and it'll go up and over most things. Drop the clutch when it's rolling backwards down a hill and it'll wheelie as well (my parents stopped letting me take out their cars after a while when I was a teen lol).

Dunno about more dangerous. A true awd minimizes the fwd understeer or rwd oversteer. The audi torsen center diff a purely mechanical diff that sends ~50/50 power all the time(exact ratio varies from model to model). No surprise in the rear kicking in. My first quattro a 95 B4 90 had no electronics except ABS. The front and rear diffs were electro pneumatic lockable using a button. With the diffs locked abs was disabled. I loved driving that car in the winter and it was all the awd since there were no electronics. There was way more to it than just parking in two foot snow banks.

As for braking, engine braking with awd is stronger vs fwd/rwd and engine brake works better than ABS in some cases.

Last edited:
My S4 has a 40/60 default split and can send up to 85% of torque rear or 75% torque front to improve grip. "A difference in rotational speed between one of the crown gears and the housing, which drives the entire unit, causes an axial load, tightening up friction plates sending power to the end of the car with more traction." Not all Audi AWD systems are the same, for example the R8 has more than one Quattro setup, some are 30/70 split and some are 40/60 (and there may be others I'm not aware of).

Yes the Audi systems are very good. The viscous coupling diffs can have some delay transferring power since they depend on a difference in wheel speed. Audi's system is likely better. And yes, many manufacturers have many different systems. Mitsubishi has 3-4 different versions, Audi has many, Subaru has at least 2 (viscous [everything including WRX] vs electronic [STI and maybe some others]) although you could say more if you consider some of their systems have LSD in the rear and some don't, Honda has several, etc.

It hurts braking, because AWD adds weight. Weight is the enemy of short braking distances.

AWD drive owners don't seem to get that they have all-wheel brakes like everyone else, and their tires are useless in winter. Every snowstorm, these are deposited on the side of the 403.

Marcel Irnie just posted a video of the Yoshimura Gsxr sucking the paint off his S1000 down the straight.

They may be older tech but with the right modifications they're still a very competitve package. This doesn't sell bikes though so they better come out with somthing soon.

Holy hell. I actually agree with dricked about something.

Marcel Irnie just posted a video of the Yoshimura Gsxr sucking the paint off his S1000 down the straight.

They may be older tech but with the right modifications they're still a very competitve package. This doesn't sell bikes though so they better come out with somthing soon.
I guess these squids might be on to something

You had to come to your senses one day LOL!

Marcel annoyed the @#$@ out of me with his Dominguez races, though... kept calling the RSV4 Factory bikes by "Factory RSV4s". They're stock 2015s, identical in every functional way to my 2013 Factory and dead-stock because he was racing SuperStock. I know he's trying to increase his brand and get more sponsors, but misguiding potential sponsors and his fans just seems distasteful to me.

FWIW, Dominguez is supposed to get his 2016 model RFs to finish the year on, but I don't know when.

Back
Top Bottom