2016 GSX-R design rumors - Flip flopper's Unite! | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2016 GSX-R design rumors - Flip flopper's Unite!

You want to look into details? WSBK was essentially Ducati's own boutique race event for *YEARS* and you couldn't win on any other bike. They had 750s racing against Ducati's litre bikes. Aprilia entered WSBK when... 6 years ago? Aprilia was not in motocross, which is not to say that some people didn't try it there, they had a supermotard bike, which in Europe was huge when they built them.

Not to mention that companies like Honda, Yamaha and Kawasaki have been in business and racing for decades longer.

Wait, I bit the hook, didn't I... wasn't this thread about a 2015 GSX-R?

Last edited:
Wait, I bit the hook, didn't I... wasn't this thread about a 2015 GSX-R?

Better check your next "movement" for the line and the sinker....

You want to look into details? WSBK was essentially Ducati's own boutique race event for *YEARS* and you couldn't win on any other bike.

Yes, I've known and seen that for many years. Look at the bike I own now in my sig. Made to beat Ducati in WSB at their own game in the ruleset at the time.

Besides, that note is irrelevant to any comparison of manufacturers. It has always been the case as most manufacturers have focused on a select series or platform to compete and win on. Nothing new there. That includes suzuki, ktm, yamaha and Aprilia. As you note, Aprilia hasn't done much at all outside of a few series. In fact 38 of the 54 championships that Aprilia notes are from 125 and 250 cc grand prix motorcycle series, a very select series. Besides, Aprilia themselves used the "grand prix, off-road and superbike" comparator (see below) so don't shoot the messenger for comparing those series.

Aprilia entered WSBK when... 6 years ago? Aprilia was not in motocross, which is not to say that some people didn't try it there, they had a supermotard bike, which in Europe was huge when they built them.

Not to mention that companies like Honda, Yamaha and Kawasaki have been in business and racing for decades longer.

Yes, true, but I never brought Aprilia into off-road and WSB comparisons. It was Aprilia themselves who in their touting of 54 championships noted it was a combination of "(grand prix motorcycle racing, Superbike and Off-road)". Check out the their own media release.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/11/10/motogp-melandri-to-pilot-gresini-aprilia-in-2015/
And from Aprilia Canada. http://www.aprilia-canada.ca/history.html

So again, using Aprilia's own metrics, that 54 total number doesn't compare very well to other manufacturers totals.

I found the break out for the 38 grand prix championships by Aprilia as it doesn't make much sense at first. It turns out 19 were manufacturer, 19 were rider. Doing it that way makes the Aprilia number compare even more poorly to the other manufacturers.

Compare the 19 Aprilia grand prix rider championships with the other manufacturers...

Grand prix rider championships
Honda 55
Yamaha 51
Suzuki 15
Kawasaki 9

Add in the earlier manufacturer grand prix #'s, off-road and superbike #'s, as per Aprilia's 54 total, and the other manufacturers do notably better. Simple math by Aprilia's own metrics.

Honda alone:
grand prix rider championships - 55
grand prix manufacturer championships - 63
ama motorcross rider championships - 38
ama motocross manufacturer championships - ??
World motocross rider championships - 23
World motocross manufacturer - championships - ??
WSB rider championships - 6
WSB manufacturer championships - 4
AMA superbike and sportbike which were a big priority for some manufacturers (both rider and manufacturer) - ??
BSB superbike and related classes, which again were a big priority for some manufacturers (both rider and manufacturer) - ??

Total 189 plus previous ??

So,.. the point is Aprilia's 54 world championships is not some amazing number. Not really at all. Let's move on from the Aprilia love-fest now.

Let's get back to the GSXR 1000 topic, and ignore the 750 timeline graphic posted with it.

Last edited:
It's the one every single thread about a particular model motorcycle ends up being about.
It's not the burgman 650?

If we get one. I'm sure we will, but ... as earlier in the thread before the trolls started fishing, 200hp+ isn't going to be good in the hands of the public without some kind of TC system. My track GSXR is definitely in that neighbourhood and it's ridable on track, on slicks, but on street tires I dunno... maybe it'd be better than I think. It'd probably be ridable enough if you had discipline. Mine still has the secondary throttle plates in, which are designed to blunt the engine's enthusiasm; without, they're effing brutal.

I imagine the lawyers will force them to add TC at least. Maybe something simple like Kawasaki's setup.

The bike is very rideable without the secondaries and actually makes 1-2 less hp in the lower rpms without them. My servo crapped out so I removed mine, that's how I know.

To address the electronic nanny haters, TC isn't a bad thing and it doesn't save people from being idiots. You can also turn it off. The manufacturers are building bikes to win shootouts that take place on the track. It's a race bike first, street bike second. They're giving us the technology and its up to you to use it properly or not at all.

Last edited:
The bike is very rideable without the secondaries and actually makes 1-2 less hp in the lower rpms without them. My servo crapped out so I removed mine, that's how I know.

That flies in the face of what both an engine builder and an owner has told me. According to them, the bike turns outright savage on corner exit if you pull the vanes on a built motor, I think they were also using shorter intake trumpets in both cases. This is going back about five years for me, so I don't remember all the details, but Scott Miller was the engine builder I discussed it with and the other was a racer on gixxer.com that I had a conversation with when I was getting the engine built in my street bike.

As they say, your milage may vary.

Last edited:
So.... I should buy an Aprilia??

You should buy this:

waterbottle%20enema.jpg

That flies in the face of what both an engine builder and an owner has told me. According to them, the bike turns outright savage on corner exit if you pull the vanes on a built motor, I think they were also using shorter intake trumpets in both cases. This is going back about five years for me, so I don't remember all the details, but Scott Miller was the engine builder I discussed it with and the other was a racer on gixxer.com that I had a conversation with when I was getting the engine built in my street bike.As they say, your milage may vary.
Well after throwing my bike on the Dyno, comparing it with Alex Welsh's bike and racing it I can tell you it's very rideable. This was at the beginning of 2013.

Last edited:
Good to hear another perspective on it. May have been a tuning issue? Did you also have short velocity stacks?

I think it's a slur

Back to the topic at hand, dragging current models for years and pulling out of the auto market in Canada. Me thinks Suzuki is in financial trouble or restructuring to meet the demands in different markets. Lets face it, SS bikes are not the money makers.

Last edited:
Yes they are in financial trouble yet returning to motogp. :rolleyes: Their cars didn't sell here because econo shitboxes was already dominated by domestics and the great honda civic.

yep, their cars were crap, and sales were crap
their bikes on the other hand, live life with high demand
they should invest money saved on cars into bikes!

I'd love to go back to Suzuki. But buying a bike now would be like me buying my first bike all over again. Its almost EXACTLY the same. I would consider again if there was a total redesign.

Back
Top Bottom