Return of Ford Nation | Page 26 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Return of Ford Nation

Ford critic =/= Liberal supporter.

Binary thinking is a big problem within these discussions.
When you draw the political lines, isn't it a binary option?

When you draw the political lines, isn't it a binary option?

But why do we have to “draw lines”? Why can’t we accept that individual ideology comes in all shapes and sizes and that many of us don’t see any political parties that we can fully support?

Why can’t someone be critical of the Wynne gov’t, want to see them get the boot and ALSO think that Doug Ford was a stupid choice for a party leader?

Sorry, you were the one who said something so casually ignorant.
Someone went along with it, perhaps so you wouldn't feel so badly about yourself.
When you found out the truth, you slammed the only person who supported you.

I don't really see a joke in that.

You really missed the joke. Chill out.

Clearly.

Baggsy, from my very first post on the topic I knew exactly what I was posting. I posted it moments after seeing it posted on the "This Hour Has 22 Minutes" page on Facebook, which you're welcome to check - they posted it earlier the same day I posted it here. I included the hand-slapper smiley as a bit of hint to the effect that it was a joke. Brian "Got it" right away, but I posted it the way I did quite intentionally to see who else would jump on it and run with with the goal of demonstrating that many of the electorate don't even know what they're voting for anymore, nor often understand the separation between provincial and federal politics.

I was not disappointed.

Yeah, then I played it out a little after the fact.

So, yes, respectfully, you missed the joke.

Liberal supporters shouldn't really be joking about Doug's little CBC slip when their favorite head of hair recently said this [FONT=&]https://twitter.com/JustinTrudeau/status/976098598252433413[/FONT]

So JT is a dumbass as well. This doesn't minimize Doug's goof. It must makes them both dumbasses.

Trying to discount a stupid mistake from "Team A" based on the fact that "Team B" made a similar stupid mistake...doesn't' mean that they both didn't make a stupid mistake in the end.

Last edited:
Can you still register a party for the election? A true centrist party with a semi-literate leader could mop up the vote.

Depends, is a basic understanding of the system a prerequisite?

I work with several Conservative party members, they are Ford critics and not liberal supports.

But your second line is spot on.
This is a problem for voters to sort out -- do you vote for the party leader or the party doctrine?

For PC faithful it's a bit easier because PC parties choose leaders that reflect their docterine. If the leader drifts, the party reigns them in. PC will do what they say whether it hurts or not.

Liberals have a tougher time because their their party doctrine and leaders don't always align. Liberals get the ideology of their leader if elected. Some Liberal leaders, like Peterson, Chretien (and McGinty for his first 2 years) occupied the PC's space, while others Wynne, Trudeau (and McGinty for the balance of his term) moved as far left as the NDP. This time card carrying Liberals will decide whether they want to be social democrats (vote for Wynne) or economic liberals (no vote for Wynne).

Can you still register a party for the election? A true centrist party with a semi-literate leader could mop up the vote.
Where do you see center? From a doctrine perspective, we have 2 right of center parties, Liberal and PC and one left, NDP.

Ontario has never had a far right leader and don't expect to get one out of Ford or the Ontario PCs -- they walk the line between center and right. I think it's hard for a lot of people to know exactly where center is because the pendulum has been moved further left each of the last 15 years.

Haha, all these people trolling the PM & blasting him. It's refreshing to see how much support we have!

I agree, but the fact he's still PM is insane. I cannot get over that fact he's the first EVER to implement compelled speech in english common law history. This is really important, even if you don't think the actual itself bill is.

I didn't want to bring up the content of the law but guys, this is like if there was a law FORCING Harley guys to wave super-politely to e-bikes or Sportbikes. lol

1Adc.gif

But why do we have to “draw lines”? Why can’t we accept that individual ideology comes in all shapes and sizes and that many of us don’t see any political parties that we can fully support?

Why can’t someone be critical of the Wynne gov’t, want to see them get the boot and ALSO think that Doug Ford was a stupid choice for a party leader?
You can, and I'm guessing if you are a card carrying Liberal this is exactly what you are thinking.

Drawing the political lines isn't the same a drawing a line in the sand -- it's the line between each choice on a ballot.

You can, and I'm guessing if you are a card carrying Liberal this is exactly what you are thinking.

Drawing the political lines isn't the same a drawing a line in the sand -- it's the line between each choice on a ballot.

I’m not a card carrying anything.

In the context of your thought pattern, that there are really only two parties that can win, yes it is a binary system.

What I meant by binary thinking is that someone must be a conservative supporter or a liberal supporter. I think that’s incredibly inaccurate, doesn’t reflect reality, and leads to lots of pointless internet arguments.

I didn't want to bring up the content of the law but guys,
this is like if there was a law FORCING Harley guys to wave super-politely to e-bikes or Sportbikes. lol

this could possibly be true
if the Harley guys had a job with Service Canada
and were paid to ride around meeting clients
and the clients were sport bike guys

but other than that very unlikely scenario
the 2 have not a thing to do with each other

someone should start a petition
so Doug Ford can manage Service Canada

edit: and PP, any fly on the wall got that it was a joke
pretty funny one too

Last edited:
I’m not a card carrying anything.

In the context of your thought pattern, that there are really only two parties that can win, yes it is a binary system.

What I meant by binary thinking is that someone must be a conservative supporter or a liberal supporter. I think that’s incredibly inaccurate, doesn’t reflect reality, and leads to lots of pointless internet arguments.
To me a conservative supporter has beliefs and ideals that are aligned with the conservative doctrine - they are always liberal economist. Liberal doctrine is not as well defined, it swings to the right of PCs (Peterson) and to the left of NDP (McGinty / Rae).

The Liberal party was close to extinction in the mid 80s - Ontario's Peterson was the only Lib leader in the country, the Fed Libs were almost extinct. Peterson wisely recognized the PC's were at center and that he could co-opt their position, he re-centered the Liberals in Ontario and ran the province much like the Big Blue machine had for 40 years. Chretien followed at the federal level, centering the Fed Libs and followed the same economic strategy.

McGinty changed the course part way through his first term, swerving far left, Wynne followed, as did Trudeau at the Federal level -- all rode populist campaigns to victory.

To me a conservative supporter has beliefs and ideals that are aligned with the conservative doctrine - they are always liberal economist. Liberal doctrine is not as well defined, it swings to the right of PCs (Peterson) and to the left of NDP (McGinty / Rae).

The Liberal party was close to extinction in the mid 80s - Ontario's Peterson was the only Lib leader in the country, the Fed Libs were almost extinct. Peterson wisely recognized the PC's were at center and that he could co-opt their position, he re-centered the Liberals in Ontario and ran the province much like the Big Blue machine had for 40 years. Chretien followed at the federal level, centering the Fed Libs and followed the same economic strategy.

McGinty changed the course part way through his first term, swerving far left, Wynne followed, as did Trudeau at the Federal level -- all rode populist campaigns to victory.

Ok. I’m not really sure how that relates to what I wrote.

I agree, but the fact he's still PM is insane. I cannot get over that fact he's the first EVER to implement compelled speech in english common law history. This is really important, even if you don't think the actual itself bill is.

I didn't want to bring up the content of the law but guys, this is like if there was a law FORCING Harley guys to wave super-politely to e-bikes or Sportbikes. lol

1Adc.gif
I remember, seeing what the left has turned into & I tried to wake people up to this. The far left has gone about raising communist flag & no one bats an eye.

They had gone to the point where they are silencing free speech & any form of opposition is shouted down.

They had gone to the point where they are silencing free speech & any form of opposition is shouted down.

Once again, Harper was no saint in this regard either.

To whitewash that fact and rah-rah for the Cons as an apparent “savior” for many of the very things the party railed against just a handful of years ago is patently ridiculous.

To whitewash that fact and rah-rah for the Cons as an apparent “savior” for many of the very things the party railed against just a handful of years ago is patently ridiculous.
It's fair to have beefs with Harper, but I don't think it's fair to say he closed off free expression. I'm also not sure that keeping your party focused on it's mandate (vs the opposition's) is 'rallying against' anything.

Parliamentary voting records from Harper's term are public, look them up. You'll see that PCs always have the best record on free voting.

But he didn't put a bill to control what you have to say.

Back
Top Bottom