ZZR250 Operating temperature question | GTAMotorcycle.com

ZZR250 Operating temperature question

R3d

Hi, I was just wondering if anybody can provide some opinions. I've had problems with cooling systems in the past, so I am a little paranoid, but your opinions are appreciated.

I have a zzr 250, 2003. I don't know if its the change in weather, but a week ago, the bike was running in the bottom 1/4 of the gauge at 80-90km/h, and on the hwy at 120km/h. Recently, it runs at about halfway, sometimes going up half a block, sometimes going down, even if the speed remains consistent. The fan is on a manual switch, radiator cap is new, and the coolant is at the right level. I was just wondering if this is normal, or if there is something I should look at. Thank you for any input.

my 2001 250 take a realy realy realy loooong time to heat up, my fan only comes on if i am not moving for like 10 min, and as soon as i strt moving egine temp instantly drops to about 1/4 from the botom. if its less thn +20c the fan almost never comes on, less thn +10c i have to have choke on or constantly give a lil gas to keep the engine on.

As SXR says I also have a 2001 Ninja(ZZR) 250 and my guage is the same as his. Very rarely hear the fan. Why the manual switch? I would be looking at the thermostat as your problem

The manual switch is there because my fan switch is broken, and I will be replacing it soon. Its only a problem in stop and go traffic. Mine drops to about 1/4 when its under 20C and moving, and I rarely have to use the fan. But riding on the highway for about 30 min the temp gauge will eventually stabilize at just under half. Do you guys have the same thing? My question I guess is: is it running too hot on the hwy? On a really hot day, will it risk overheating? (I mean while moving). And I don't have problems with engine dying. I've ridden it in -2C and engine idles just fine without choke.

Thank you.

Last edited:
During weather cooler than 15 degrees, my ZZR250 temp gauge rarely goes past 1/4 on the gauge. Mind you I just got my coolant changed.

It's probably fine. The analog temperature gauges on some Kawi's are sensitive enough that they will register the thermostat opening and closing. I would only worry if it starts creeping further up and stays there.

Back
Top Bottom