ZX636 Something vibrating | GTAMotorcycle.com

ZX636 Something vibrating

mistersouthpaw

Something on my 2016 636 is vibrating around the front cowling or on the handlebars.. anyone else have this? happens around 6K rpms and is just annoying the god damn hell out of me and I cant figure out what it is

engine speed related, so can you hear it with bike stationary?
if no, it's gong to be hard to pin point if you can't find something loose

It is engine speed related around 6-7.5 or 8 rpms. It happens regardless of whether I am in motion or stationary. Matt rain suggested a certain rpm may match the resonant frequency of the frame which could be it, but I am having a hard time pinpointing exactly where is coming from. I just got the bike and have only ridden it a handful of times. Maybe I will get Matt to ride it and see if he can hear where it’s coming from.

It is engine speed related around 6-7.5 or 8 rpms. It happens regardless of whether I am in motion or stationary. Matt rain suggested a certain rpm may match the resonant frequency of the frame which could be it, but I am having a hard time pinpointing exactly where is coming from. I just got the bike and have only ridden it a handful of times. Maybe I will get Matt to ride it and see if he can hear where it’s coming from.
Well having it happen while stationary is very helpful. Have someone hold the throttle at the problem rpm and poke and prod parts of the bike until you touch something that changes the sound. You should be able to run for at least a few minutes without getting too hot.

Yea the issue is that I can’t identify where it’s coming from yet
Thats why it's much easier with two people. One holds the bike stable and revved up, the other one can walk around the bike and poke things (a wooden spoon handle works well as it isn't that affected by heat and gives you some reach past obstacles). Just pushing on a part will change its resonant frequency. You'll know you've got the correct part when you hear the sound change. It is possible (but much less likely) that you will actually see something vibrating.

I’d check the easy things first, how is the chain and it’s tension. How are the tires, are they cupped ? Then start checking for loose bolts.

if I cant make it go away ill have to drown it out with a louder exhaust
Not the best way to deal with something that might be a serious problem :| in this case beating it randomly with a rubber hammer might even be a better idea.
If the noise was not there from new and you can't find it with a rubber hammer test,

start taking it apart until you find something with wear marks on it.

... do it with the motor off :|

... does it have double walled header pipes? give those a tap with the rubber hammer too.

;) my rubber hammer would probably find those too

The chain tension is fine, the chain was very dry. I lubricated it thoroughly. The tires have some wear but arent bad - also I am able to cause it to vibrate when the bike is stationary so I am not so sure the tires are the issue. I'll make a video of it later, it sort of sounds like plastic rattling not the rattling of a loose inner header pipe tube, had that happen on a bike before.

like mentioned....run the bike stationary at the RPM you hear the noise
get someone to help you with this - someone useful- droping it in gear accidentally would be bad

poke and prod at bits in the area of the noise and see if you can get the sound to change
it certainly does sound like a frequncy based resonance, is the engine otherwise running well?
any mods? exhaust and/or ECU meddling?

I think this is where you take all the plastics off and give everything a good cleaning,
watch for missing or damaged rubber washers or grommets or things that don't have enough clearance.

like mentioned....run the bike stationary at the RPM you hear the noise
get someone to help you with this - someone useful- droping it in gear accidentally would be bad

poke and prod at bits in the area of the noise and see if you can get the sound to change
it certainly does sound like a frequncy based resonance, is the engine otherwise running well?
any mods? exhaust and/or ECU meddling?
Nope the bike is completely unmolested, I plan to molest it eventually. Bike runs fantastic only has roughly 10k on it. Its the bike I bought from quebec, I bought it without seeing it because the price was so right. Everything is great except that it just has this annoying vibration that ruins the sound of it. I'll poke around the plastics and such and see if I can get an idea where its coming from and if not I will make a video and post it later tonight

Nope the bike is completely unmolested, I plan to molest it eventually. Bike runs fantastic only has roughly 10k on it. Its the bike I bought from quebec, I bought it without seeing it because the price was so right. Everything is great except that it just has this annoying vibration that ruins the sound of it
Just keep the revs over 8K :) Problem solved.

Not likely related, but I had an annoying buzz at a certain rpm in 1 of my gsf1200's. The bike was due for a valve adjustment, and when I got it back, the buzz was gone.

Back
Top Bottom