Zipper repair shops? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Zipper repair shops?

ummm.... did all the zippers you mentioned above with Daytona and Dainese break in the 3-12 month period as others have stated above?

Yes, which is why I mentioned it. Lubricated the zips with silicone on the Daytonas as specified in the care instructions, too. All manufacturers fight against SNAFU. Brand is no guarantee as I've discovered.

Last edited:
We have changed suppliers and going forward will guarantee zipper failure for a period of one year which we have always done. The average cost of having a zipper repaired is about $50. If you're in the East End Bickle does a great job. If you're in the West end I deal with someone at Dundas/Erin Mills. Her name is Dao (she worked for Danier Leathers for 15 years) so has experience and her number is 905-823-2826. address is #20-1900 Dundas Street West, Mississauga. Takka Alterations.

Most of you that come into our office have seen that we now use YKK Metal Zippers which last longer than normal YKK zippers. I believe YKK failure rate is about 5-8%.

For those that have dealt with me know that if my previous suppliers suits, jackets were defective I have gone to the extreme of replacing them with new products. I have done alterations to custom products even if customers gain or lose weight between ordering and picking up. Here is a list of people who's suits, jackets I have replaced because of manufacturing defects:-

Tricia D. - One piece race suit redone
Bruce J - One piece race suit redone
Himanshu - Jacket replaced
Adam C - One piece suit replaced
Alden F - Textile Pants Redone
Tikki L. - Textile Pants Redone
Raf G. - Leather Riding Pants redone
Melanie M. - Jacket for 2 piece suit redone
Plus other ones I don't remember over the past 2 years.

I will cover all manufacturing defects for one year. The jacket in question has passed that one year period. I am still offering $50 credit towards anything I sell. I don't know what else I can offer?

James I asked "if this solution works for you". You should talk to me directly instead trying to ruin my reputation. I'm not happy about this. I really try to take care of my clients.

I emailed...and got this reply

"I don’t know what I can do. Zipper and Velcro fall under wear and tear. What I could offer is a $50 credit towards another product (zipper replacement will cost about that much). We don’t deal with the original factory that we did the group buy with as we decided to do more high end products now. Let me know if this works for you."

Where is John Bickle located?

I'm not trying to ruin your reputation.

I'm just asking where to get my zipper fixed. And other people stated that they have had issues with the zippers previously as well.

Plus the way you put "Let me know if this works for you" and could offer a $50 credit towards another product aint going to happen. Why would I want to buy another product just to get another defect possibly?

Plus "jackets were defective I have gone to the extreme of replacing them with new products." If you knew there was defects, why wouldn't you extend the warranty instead of just 1 year.

Scala has their known issues with one of their head phones blowing out and they offer another 2 year warranty extension due to it.

Once again, all i asked in this thread was where to get the zipper replaced and got the answer.

The replacements I did were because the sizing was not 100%. I don't want my clients to settle for less. I only put that there to you show I care more about customer service then you think. Any ways sorry I couldn't help. Once you get your jacket zipper replaced send me the bill and I will reimburse you out of my own pocket.

btw I don't make YKK zippers, I use only use them and that particular batch had more defective than normal that's why I upgraded to their high end models now. And even went to a supplier who has done suits for AMA racers and Moto GP team out of Australia. But that also comes at a premium price. So you won't find suits for $575 from now on.

The new suppliers I have do a phenomenal job and I will offer 2 year warranty on all manufacturing defects.

Any ways please send me your invoice when you have it replaced. And next time lets do this off line.

I'm not trying to ruin your reputation.

I'm just asking where to get my zipper fixed. And other people stated that they have had issues with the zippers previously as well.

Plus the way you put "Let me know if this works for you" and could offer a $50 credit towards another product aint going to happen. Why would I want to buy another product just to get another defect possibly?

Plus "jackets were defective I have gone to the extreme of replacing them with new products." If you knew there was defects, why wouldn't you extend the warranty instead of just 1 year.

Scala has their known issues with one of their head phones blowing out and they offer another 2 year warranty extension due to it.

Once again, all i asked in this thread was where to get the zipper replaced and got the answer.

We have changed suppliers and going forward will guarantee zipper failure for a period of one year which we have always done...

Most of you that come into our office have seen that we now use YKK Metal Zippers which last longer than normal YKK zippers. I believe YKK failure rate is about 5-8%...

I will cover all manufacturing defects for one year. The jacket in question has passed that one year period. I am still offering $50 credit towards anything I sell. I don't know what else I can offer?

YKK is the world's largest zipper manufacturer. I would be surprised if the failure rate was as high as 5-8%. Usually these zippers are really reliable. Still, YKK makes such a wide variety of zippers, depending on the application. Zippers do wear and do not last forever. I think Velocity's policy is quite fair, seeing as they did not directly make the suits. Metal zippers are stronger and wear better but not as flexible as others.

Sometimes you can take apart the metal ends of the zipper sides and replace the slider. This will significantly reduce the cost and time required to repair. If the zipper coil separates from the rest of the zipper ribbon, or some teeth break off then the zipper needs to be completely unstitched and replaced. I always rely on YKK because of their quality and longevity.

IM Leathers has been in business for 40 years in Hamilton. Jennifer at IM makes new leathers, alters and repairs all makes. They're at 257 King St E Hamilton 905-525-7121. They've used the best quality components in all the leathers they've made for me and I've still got all original zippers. Big plus here is that IM Leathers is (somewhat) local as opposed to dealing with a middle man that orders from who knows what maker. IM has always stood by their work and will make anything better at your request, not refer you to someone else. I find it well worth while to do the 40 min drive to Hamilton for the results. I've had a number of mis-haps and thankfully I was wearing my IM Leathers!

IM Leathers is a great vendor and Ivan was a great guy (RIP).

We're not middle men per say. Do you think Alpinestar, Berik, Joe Rocket, Icon etc have their own factories that make their leathers. Nope. They outsource the work to factories in Asia. They basically design, list specifications, market and sell the products. That's how most manufacturing works now. And I always recommend wearing leathers whether they're Velocity or another brand.

IM Leathers has been in business for 40 years in Hamilton. Jennifer at IM makes new leathers, alters and repairs all makes. They're at 257 King St E Hamilton 905-525-7121. They've used the best quality components in all the leathers they've made for me and I've still got all original zippers. Big plus here is that IM Leathers is (somewhat) local as opposed to dealing with a middle man that orders from who knows what maker. IM has always stood by their work and will make anything better at your request, not refer you to someone else. I find it well worth while to do the 40 min drive to Hamilton for the results. I've had a number of mis-haps and thankfully I was wearing my IM Leathers!

Yep. John Bickle @ bickleracing.com or .ca I can never remember. Worth the drive.

Bickle did my Daytona boot (twice) within the span of 1 year.

Last edited:
Anyone have a shop or recommendation to replace a broken zipper?
Ones that specialize in motorcycle jackets of course :p
My Velocity jacket zipper split and I need the zipper to be fully replaced...
Thanks!

If you are downtown, all the clothing and luggage shops use a place called Kaners, which is downstairs below the Nike Store in Yorkville. They have notoriously curt service, but everyone uses them anyway.

Do it for teh lulz.

I had to have my velocity jacket repairs elsewhere as well. Although jimmy offered to pay for it, and did.

In your in the durham area,

Steves Leather Fashions
70 Bond st
Oshawa

Awesome service, got mine done in 3 days....
In my case john bickle could not help, and also never got back to me with a quote after i visited him at the track....
but i know john is usually awesome at the track.

Stavros is a good friend of mine i have known his family for years and they do great work.

As for this "dispute" probably could have been settled with a phone call, less chance of misinterpretation... GOOOOO INTERWEB!!!!!!

In Mississauga, @ Meadowvale Town Center, Sam's Shoe Repair next to the Rabba, he fixed my gloves a few times for $2.00, some minor stitching is all I needed. Good guy Sam. He said he repairs all leather and zippers, "more than just shoes".He has some big leather stitching machines. Winston Churchill and Aquitaine.

Just took my suit to Sam for a simple zipper repair. He seems competent enough. He also has a leather alteration section so if this works out I'll get him to put in some expansion panels.

Back
Top Bottom