Zero Electric Sportbike | GTAMotorcycle.com

Zero Electric Sportbike

Zero advertises higher handlebars and lower footpegs as benefits on a "superbike"? That makes no sense. Did anyone that has ever ridden a bike listen to the ad before it went live?

Edit:
Actually, it's bigger problem is 100 hp and ~500 lbs. It can't even see superbike territory from where it is sitting. Sure it looks nice, but its' real competition is something like a vfr800 except it has no ability to tour. Maybe also the 650 class "sport" bikes. All of the 600 cc bikes just obliterate it in every category (except greenness and rarity).

Last edited:
Fairing is set perfect if you lay on the tank and stick your elbows up like wings :LOL: i think she said 13% better.

... i should hold comment because she said I have to ride it.

Zero advertises higher handlebars and lower footpegs as benefits on a "superbike"? That makes no sense. Did anyone that has ever ridden a bike listen to the ad before it went live?

Edit:
Actually, it's bigger problem is 100 hp and ~500 lbs. It can't even see superbike territory from where it is sitting. Sure it looks nice, but its' real competition is something like a vfr800 except it has no ability to tour. Maybe also the 650 class "sport" bikes. All of the 600 cc bikes just obliterate it in every category (except greenness and rarity).
140lb ft of torque, because it's instant wouldn't this murder anything in the corners and from a start?

140lb ft of torque, because it's instant wouldn't this murder anything in the corners and from a start?
Would depend if you can get all that power to ground in the corners or from a start ;)
maybe it comes complete with nanny traction aids for a reason.
... guy riding it has no sense of counter-steer or the bike has tremendous gyroscopic inertia in that one shot lol.

I'm not saying it wouldnt be fun, just pick realistic competition. Especially given the huge price premium for the zero. A real superbike will have ~double the hp and 60% of the torque. It will also have a top speed more than 100km/h higher and more than double the range.

This is actually correct. The only time a traditional bike will win, assuming the thing handles as well as your typical SS or superbike, is any backstraight long enough where the Zero's top speed just sucks (Mosport's.)

Now if it handles like dog ****, and the software/aids don't maximize the amount of torque based on available friction/traction (or over estimates, cause rmb electric engines don't need to rev, then crash)...then the situation changes, and my gut tells me this is very likely because the average rider doesn't give a **** about dragging knee/elbow as fast as possible.

Businesses don't tend to dump money into edge cases.

Last edited:
I don't understand making a promotional video of a motorcycle without actually letting you see the motorcycle.

If they can be had for about 4 grand and cheap to insure put us all down for 1
mine won't need passenger pegs somebody else can have those.

If they can be had for about 4 grand and cheap to insure put us all down for 1
mine won't need passenger pegs somebody else can have those.
Funny guy. Considering the SR/F which is the naked version starts at ~$25K, this one will probably be a few thousand more than that. That's their big problem. Who wants to spend 30K on a sport bike that is heavy, short range and not disgustingly fast?

Funny guy. Considering the SR/F which is the naked version starts at ~$25K, this one will probably be a few thousand more than that. That's their big problem. Who wants to spend 30K on a sport bike that is heavy, short range and not disgustingly fast?
But this is disgustingly fast?

Outside of that, same people who buy Tesla's.

Pikes Peak Hill Climb Results 2019, Pikes Peak Heavyweight
  1. Rennie Scaysbrook, 2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100, 09:44.963
  2. Codie Vahsholtz, 2019 Ducati MTS-1260 Pikes Peak, 10:03.908
  3. Akinori Inoue, 2018 Kawasaki Z900RS, 10:36.884
  4. Kamil Holan (R), 2015 Ducati Streetfighter, 10:38.109
  5. Cory West (R), 2020 Zero SR/F, 10:46.233
  6. Stefan Dolipski, 2019 BMW S1000R, 11:11.915
  7. Eric Wilson (R), 2017 BMW S1000R, 11:19.133

The Lightning electric posted a time of 10:00.694 in 2013.

I'd not be challenging it with any 600cc.

FWIW
EVs starting racing in the early 80s, and last year Romain Dumas broke the 8-minute barrier for the first time in the electric Volkswagen I.D. R.

As the battery energy density rises and the weight of the battery comes down...........zoom zoom.

Last edited:
A golf tdi has way more torque than a gti but half the hp. Nobody argues a tdi is fast. It's great for heavy loads at constant speed.
don't need hp to race from red light to red light.

Electric bikes are too expensive to presently capture market share, if they sold them for what they are actually worth and not more money then the theoretically more expensive product they are meant to replace, then electrics would already be dominating the market. Where is all the extra coin going :/ it has no exhaust or fuel intake, no reciprocating pistons and oil pumps, it has a spinning armature made of mostly copper and batteries made of lithium, there is very little gold, platinum or precious gems required to roll around inside there to make it work, why so expensive?

Is this not it?

You won't be tucking in behind that little sport fairing comfortably with those tall handlebars :unsure: not even close.

Electric bikes are too expensive to presently capture market share, if they sold them for what they are actually worth and not more money then the theoretically more expensive product they are meant to replace, then electrics would already be dominating the market. Where is all the extra coin going :/ it has no exhaust or fuel intake, no reciprocating pistons and oil pumps, it has a spinning armature made of mostly copper and batteries made of lithium, there is very little gold, platinum or precious gems required to roll around inside there to make it work, why so expensive?
Niche.

If you can't or won't mass produce it then it will cost more to get it to market.

It's the R&D costs and battery + motor costs. They aren't cheap and that's why there really haven't been cheap EVs out in any form. It's a new product and until the battery manufacturers streamline costs and improve power density, it's going to stay that way. Just hoping with more EVs on the road, there will eventually come down in price for second hand ones in the future.

Niche.

If you can't or won't mass produce it then it will cost more to get it to market.
Electrics are said to be the future, not a niche market, theory is in a very few decades we will all be riding one of theses toys.
WTF is with the passenger pegs that appear to be an important integral part of the motor casting, the bike can hardly carry one rider the distance and they are already designing it to haul two, the final drive is a rubber band and it has a coal shovel fender plate holder hanging off the rear swingarm as far as possible :/ dumb ideas proliferate on these bikes considering all the knowledge gained over the last years of motorcycle development.

Back
Top Bottom