Young & New Rider Insurance | GTAMotorcycle.com

Young & New Rider Insurance

karan

Hello everyone,

I am 17 and looking to get my motorcycle license this year, so I can have it ready for next riding season when I buy a bike. I have experience riding bikes, and want to get a 500-600cc, I have a clean record and I will be 18 before I buy the motorcycle. Just wondering how much can I expect to pay for a sport bike?

I also was running quotes online and saw that if I was to insure a 2023 Ninja 600 on my name, it is $2000+ monthly, but a CBR 650 is only $250? Why such a huge difference in a similar cc? Also, if I was to add my dad, then the Ninja 600 drops down to only $125. Is this a viable option?

Hoping to get on my own set of 2 wheels next year!

First year for new riders is the most dangerous so that's why insurance is high for the Ninja 600 (ZX-6R), which is a high risk bike for new riders/insurance.

The CBR650R is not in the same class as the Ninja 600, the similar Honda bike would the CBR600RR. You're comparing the Ninja which is classified as a SuperSport, and the CBR650R is classified more of a street bike and not super sport. This is why you see the price difference. If you want to even get lower insurance, look at the Honda CB650R which is a naked style street bike.

Smart thing for you to do would be to get your license this year, and wait a year until you get your M2. Once you have your M2 and are licensed for at least a year, your insurance will drop.

You could also start on a smaller bike, like a 400cc for a year or two. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

I personally wouldn't add any family members to any policies unless they are really riding, but that's just me.

You won't get many opinions on your post either, at your age and the bike you're seeking as your first bike is a recipe for disaster.

Why such a huge difference in a similar cc? Also, if I was to add my dad, then the Ninja 600 drops down to only $125. Is this a viable option?

Different engines, different power outputs.

Maybe keep away from a sport bike for the first few years and stick with a naked bike instead?
I'd recommend spending the money for good quality riding gear to get you the maximum protection possible.

And then consider getting the bike you want after you get your M.

What Jay-d said about adding your Dad. Insurance cos hate to pay out. Instead they investigate. If you had a big accident costing many thousands they could find out Dad didn't really ride and was there just to reduce the rate. Then they say you lied and won't pay.
It's best never to bend the truth with these guys.

Edit: Oh and start on a 250-300. Cheaper. Lighter. Trust me if you really like riding it won't be your only bike.

First year for new riders is the most dangerous so that's why insurance is high for the Ninja 600 (ZX-6R), which is a high risk bike for new riders/insurance.

The CBR650R is not in the same class as the Ninja 600, the similar Honda bike would the CBR600RR. You're comparing the Ninja which is classified as a SuperSport, and the CBR650R is classified more of a street bike and not super sport. This is why you see the price difference. If you want to even get lower insurance, look at the Honda CB650R which is a naked style street bike.

Smart thing for you to do would be to get your license this year, and wait a year until you get your M2. Once you have your M2 and are licensed for at least a year, your insurance will drop.

You could also start on a smaller bike, like a 400cc for a year or two. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

I personally wouldn't add any family members to any policies unless they are really riding, but that's just me.

You won't get many opinions on your post either, at your age and the bike you're seeking as your first bike is a recipe for disaster.
That makes a lot more sense. Going to go write my M1 tomorrow, and then I will revisit this topic of which bike to get early next year. Thanks for the input.

What Jay-d said about adding your Dad. Insurance cos hate to pay out. Instead they investigate. If you had a big accident costing many thousands they could find out Dad didn't really ride and was there just to reduce the rate. Then they say you lied and won't pay.
It's best never to bend the truth with these guys.

Edit: Oh and start on a 250-300. Cheaper. Lighter. Trust me if you really like riding it won't be your only bike.
He would still ride occasionally, but just definitely not as much as I would ride. I will probably be taking it out every weekend and hit some back roads for a nice cruise.

Fair enough. Just don't out right lie to them.

Sorry to say, but getting your M2 now, and waiting a year without any motorcycle experience (ie. owning, being insured as a rider on one) will not make any meaningful difference in the course of a year.

If you're dead-set on riding, just go for it. But like others have said, why not start on a 250/300? At your age most anything else will be prohibitively expensive.

Edit: I should clarify - years of motorcycle ownership plays a major role in premium at most companies I'm aware of.

Last edited:
Sorry to say, but getting your M2 now, and waiting a year without any motorcycle experience (ie. owning, being insured as a rider on one) will not make any meaningful difference in the course of a year.

If you're dead-set on riding, just go for it. But like others have said, why not start on a 250/300? At your age most anything else will be prohibitively expensive.

Edit: I should clarify - years of motorcycle ownership plays a major role in premium at most companies I'm aware of.
That's fine, even then I still want to have it ready for next year like I said, and then I can also get my M earlier which probably will drop insurance. I don't want to rush everything at last second, going to get it anyway, doesn't matter if it's now or later. I probably won't have a lot of riding time left after 60 days waiting for my M2 so might as well save a bit more money and buy a decent bike and better gear next year.

The reason I don't want a 300cc is I've ridden a Ninja 300 before, and it just doesn't feel right, I am not a stupid driver, I know my limitations and I have a lot to live for, so I won't be splitting lanes at 200km/h on the 401. I also don't want to go through the process of buying and selling multiple times.

I believe I am mature enough to handle a 500 or 600 (provided I can get a decent insurance rate, even if it's a street and not a super sport) and ride it for 3-4 years before thinking of upgrading.

PS. I am paying for this all by myself, I have a full time job as a electrical apprentice and taking no financial help from my parents on this.

and then I can also get my M earlier which probably will drop insurance
M2 to M most often has no difference in premium.

The reason I don't want a 300cc is I've ridden a Ninja 300 before, and it just doesn't feel right, I am not a stupid driver, I know my limitations and I have a lot to live for, so I won't be splitting lanes at 200km/h on the 401.
Unfortunately it doesn't matter to insurance companies. It sucks, but it will be high for you.

My advice is get on the phone right now and call multiple brokers/direct-writing insurance companies for quotes on different bikes. Also if you live with family, call your family's insurance company to see if they offer bundled discounts.

PS - Brokers represent multiple companies, while direct-writers are the company themself, and do not have brokers/brokerages representing them.

Yea I understand, no point in doing that right now since I don't have a license or a bike yet, but i'll definitely do that next year before I buy a bike.

Does taking advanced rider courses lower premiums? Not like m2 exit test, but the advanced ones after you get M2/M or track day courses? I am going to take them anyway for the sake of being prepared for situations and to be comfortable with my bike when I get one.

Update: I got my M1 yesterday, booking my M1 exit with MTOHP soon after I confirm their policy with minors. But after running a lot more quotes on different types of bikes, I am probably gonna end up with a 300cc or a Honda CBR500R, anything 600 or over is giving me quotes in thousands range, so maybe i'll try again in 2026. Thanks for the help everyone.

The reason I don't want a 300cc is I've ridden a Ninja 300 before, and it just doesn't feel right, I am not a stupid driver, I know my limitations and I have a lot to live for, so I won't be splitting lanes at 200km/h on the 401. I also don't want to go through the process of buying and selling multiple times.

I believe I am mature enough to handle a 500 or 600 (provided I can get a decent insurance rate, even if it's a street and not a super sport) and ride it for 3-4 years before thinking of upgrading.

You're 17 so I'll give you some advice on something you said as I'm more than double your age.

You think you won't buy a new bike or want to go through the buying/selling process, but you will buy a new bike, you will sell your bike you thought you were never going to get rid of, you will change your mind on what bikes resonate with you, and you will look back at your 17 year old self and realize how much your wants and needs drastically change.

At 17, doesn't matter how mature you think you are. Factually, your brain isn't fully developed until you are 25-27 (The rational part of a teen’s brain isn’t fully developed and won’t be until age 25 or so.) So saying you know what you want when your brain isn't even fully grown doesn't make any sense to any of us in our 30s-40s.

Most deaths don't happen lane splitting at 200km/h on the 401. They happen at 60km/h when you're crossing an intersection that you've crossed 100 times. They happen when you're at a red light waiting for the light to turn green and you get rear ended. They happen when you're taking a turn and there's sand/gravel on the road that wasn't there yesterday. Accidents happen when you least expect them. Only time, years and experience teach us how to watch out for them, not maturity.

Update: I got my M1 yesterday, booking my M1 exit with MTOHP soon after I confirm their policy with minors. But after running a lot more quotes on different types of bikes, I am probably gonna end up with a 300cc or a Honda CBR500R, anything 600 or over is giving me quotes in thousands range, so maybe i'll try again in 2026. Thanks for the help everyone.

Very smart! Glad you're going this route, you won't regret it and you'll enjoy years of riding in your future.

You're 17 so I'll give you some advice on something you said as I'm more than double your age.

You think you won't buy a new bike or want to go through the buying/selling process, but you will buy a new bike, you will sell your bike you thought you were never going to get rid of, you will change your mind on what bikes resonate with you, and you will look back at your 17 year old self and realize how much your wants and needs drastically change.

At 17, doesn't matter how mature you think you are. Factually, your brain isn't fully developed until you are 25-27 (The rational part of a teen’s brain isn’t fully developed and won’t be until age 25 or so.) So saying you know what you want when your brain isn't even fully grown doesn't make any sense to any of us in our 30s-40s.

Most deaths don't happen lane splitting at 200km/h on the 401. They happen at 60km/h when you're crossing an intersection that you've crossed 100 times. They happen when you're at a red light waiting for the light to turn green and you get rear ended. They happen when you're taking a turn and there's sand/gravel on the road that wasn't there yesterday. Accidents happen when you least expect them. Only time, years and experience teach us how to watch out for them, not maturity.

Very smart! Glad you're going this route, you won't regret it and you'll enjoy years of riding in your future.
Thanks for the advice.

Most deaths don't happen lane splitting at 200km/h on the 401. They happen at 60km/h when you're crossing an intersection that you've crossed 100 times.
Funny you say this, 2 years ago I was hit by a car taking a left turn while on my bicycle crossing the intersection that I crossed every day for 2 years in front of my school. The road rash didn't feel nice afterwards, not ever going to take that risk on a bike now.

Back
Top Bottom