Yamaha RZ500 | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Yamaha RZ500

Nice project and congrats on a job well done .
For folks that never experienced 2 stroke large capacity street bikes , be happy . It may be why you still ride today . Some one mentioned “ coming on pipe” , it was this isn’t so bad , not so bad, holy crap this is really crazy . Power delivery was smooth if you compare it to a grenade .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

I started on one of those too. Hitting a tar snake at speed while leaned over started an oscillation that made it feel like it was hinged in the centre. Unnerving and changed your line but rarely scared the crap out of you.
They were sensitive to squared off rear tires for sure but if you kept on top of tire maintenance and put some more realistic gearing on it them they weren't too bad to live with.
Yamaha Canada blew scads of them out the door at fire sale prices as non-current models.
Damn nice looking restoration BTY.

Mendelson Joe rode a custom painted RZ500. No pics of it online.

Great bike. I had a hard time seeking insurance for my ‘96 GSX R1100.

How much to insure yours?

Mendelson Joe rode a custom painted RZ500. No pics of it online.
Quite the "custom" paint job. He used to ride with Michelle Duff. She rode a clapped out FZ600 and he on his "art bike" RZ.
They'd get looks, interesting LOOKING couple, but you couldn't keep up with them.

Quite the "custom" paint job. He used to ride with Michelle Duff. She rode a clapped out FZ600 and he on his "art bike" RZ.
They'd get looks, interesting LOOKING couple, but you couldn't keep up with them.
It was from Michelle and her FZ600 at Paris that I stole her idea of the cut tennis ball and sponge. I've had one on every bike since.

For those with lots of $$$$. Have the prices on these gone THAT berserk? I’m not even sure that it would fetch this much on Iconic auctions….

Attachments

• IMG_8561.jpeg
    IMG_8561.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
new geometry, new technology, new everything
everything moves forward thankfully for the better
what new modern bike sold anywhere in the world comes close to these 2 stroke heroes?
which one would straight up win in a head to head on track battle? new modern or old restored classic?

new geometry, new technology, new everything
everything moves forward thankfully for the better
what new modern bike sold anywhere in the world comes close to these 2 stroke heroes?
which one would straight up win in a head to head on track battle? new modern or old restored classic?
Most new bikes will probably win on the track. Stiffer frame and better suspension give you higher cornering speed, four stroke gives you more controllable power and drive out of the turns. Rz is cool but would be annihilated.

Most new bikes will probably win on the track. Stiffer frame and better suspension give you higher cornering speed, four stroke gives you more controllable power and drive out of the turns. Rz is cool but would be annihilated.
Agreed, I don’t think it would even be close.

The question is how far ahead the 400's would be. With a good rider, I wouldnt be surprised if the 300s came close.
No one raced the rz500 because the expansion cambers hit the ground when turning and they were slow compared to the RG. There is no 400 now that would even be close to an RG 500 however. Unless there was no staights.lol Bias ply tires back then .

I know, but they started talking about racing RG's. My favorites are still the RGV250's with RG500 motor swaps.

imag0922-2688x_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom