XSR700 vs Triumph Street Twin? or... | GTAMotorcycle.com

XSR700 vs Triumph Street Twin? or...

UnderCat

So basically I am looking to upgrade from my cb300r. Mostly riding in the city but would be nice to start going beyond that (+ridding with a passenger often). I love the look of retro ish style: round headlight, naked.
My dream bike was XSR700 for a a few years already but since the price in dealerships for a 2023 is outrageous (13k+) and used are never around, I started considering other options.

I find CB650R quite interesting, very similar to my cb300r which I like. The only things I am not a fan of is the seat and maybe the height of the bike. I am 6.0" and afraid that my lower back will be killing me like on my 300 after a long ride.

I saw a couple of Triumphs Triple Twins that got me curios. How reliable are they? I assume parts and service are more expensive and longer wait since there is only 1 point of contact with Triumph in Toronto (?).

I've was also interested in Bolts. Heard that they are very heavy for the city riding and also air cooled (which is worse than liquid?)

Edit: forgot to mention that I also saw a Moto Guzzi V7 and have pretty similar questions about reliability.

I mostly check pre-owned dealership options because I have no faith in myself dealing with private.

Last edited:
Have a look at Zack Courts Revzilla vids on Daily Rider.

6’ can be different bike fit depending on inseam, torso length and arms etc.

Best ride out to GP or other dealers to sit on a few of their pre-owned inventory.

The Bolt is a different animal than the others. More cruiser oriented.

I’d keep my eyes open for an SV650 personally.

I’d keep my eyes open for an SV650 personally.
Cheers, will check out these vids.
I actually tried SV650 last year and it felt pretty cramped comparing to others (mt07, xsr, cb650). I will try to sit on it one more time.

I can't comment on the Street Twin, but I just recently upgraded from a Svartpilen 401 to an XSR700. So far it's a blast to ride. I fit on it comfortably at 6'2 (aftermarket bars are even lowered a bit). Haven't had a passenger yet.

If you're firm on getting one from a dealership, then yeah.. they're tough to come by. Last one I saw was at Apex I think? Looked pretty good from what I remember, for $8k. Not sure if they still have it. There are a few here and there that pop up on Kijiji/marketplace, just have to keep an eye out. Usually in the $7k-$9k range. Depending on your location, I'm sure somebody here would be willing to help you out by coming with you to check out a bike.

Yamaha Bolt is the Japanese answer to the Sportster, except that it's an even bigger dog and worthless on resale. Triumphs twins and triples are bulletproof but maintenance when needed and parts are dear. MT07 is a good choice, or maybe the Z650 Kawasaki ?My bias is showing, but have you looked at the Royal Enfield INT650 ? Bang for buck there isn't anything close plus they're cheap to insure.

MT07 is a good choice, or maybe the Z650 Kawasaki ?My bias is showing, but have you looked at the Royal Enfield INT650 ? Bang for buck there isn't anything close plus they're cheap to insure.
I don't think MT07 or Z650 will be my choice of bike. Mostly because I don't like the headlight and it looks like a bug(?), sorry! I like Z650RS tho :D
I actually didn't know that RE is a thing here. Thought it was only in England/India. Will keep on lookout but prefer to keep chrome to the min.

I don't think MT07 or Z650 will be my choice of bike. Mostly because I don't like the headlight and it looks like a bug(?), sorry! I like Z650RS tho :D
I actually didn't know that RE is a thing here. Thought it was only in England/India. Will keep on lookout but prefer to keep chrome to the min.
Z650rs was one of my options I was looking at too. Seemed they were even harder to come by than the xsr. Closest I found was at a dealer in Gatineau 😒

Z650rs was one of my options I was looking at too. Seemed they were even harder to come by than the xsr. Closest I found was at a dealer in Gatineau 😒
The Z650RS is on my short list, but as you say finding one is tough.

Just bite the bullet and buy this one. It's gorgeous looking and very capable. I know that blows your budget but, c'mon...

Just bite the bullet and buy this one. It's gorgeous looking and very capable. I know that blows your budget but, c'mon...
Turns out theres one of those in Hamilton as well. And beleive it or not it's actually mine with 28 kilometers on it.

Turns out theres one of those in Hamilton as well. And beleive it or not it's actually mine with 28 kilometers on it.
You're waiting to pick it up?

The Yamaha SXR700 was on my list when I was upgrading.
Rode one at Americade and hated it.
TOO MUCH throttle response for my style of riding.
I have been known to ride dirt roads if it gets me where I want to be.
It would be a great hooligan bike but was no fun picking your way thru tight situations.
Bought the Motto Guzzi V7iii instead but I have to admit I am a Guzzi fan.
Looked at the Triumph but only the 900 was available at the time and that was overkill for "my needs."
As too the reliability of a Guzzi you will note the yellow paint on all of the bolt heads.
Each bolt is hand torqued to specs then verified with the yellow paint.
After four Guzzi I have never had a reliability issue.
Unlike some 4 cylinder bikes it does not cost $1500.00 to have the valves adjusted.
Shaft drive is the only way to go.

My time with a 2014 California 1400 wasn't as good as yours but I'd give them another chance if it wasn't for the lack of dealerships (although I see that VOS is now selling them not too far from where Corsa Meccanica was).

I like the small block engines better although I had a 1200 Norge.
I believe the new 1000 water pumper is a small block engine
The big issue with it was gear ratio that was not fun in traffic but they improved that in later years.
I rode a California 1400 at Americade and was not impressed.
I am sure Guzzi messed with the low speed timing to make it sound like a Harley instead of of a true 90 degree twin.
It also had that Harley shake at low revs. Forward pegs are also not my style.
I only use the dealership to purchase my bike and do all the maintenance myself.
I have heard stories of dealers telling newbies they will invalidate their warranties if the adjust the drive chain themselves.
Since there are so few models getting parts are not an issue.
There was a shortage of oil filters in North America because of Covid-19 but where available from Italy on Ebay for better price than dealer even with the shipping.

Reactions: LBV
CB650R u gotta really rev it out to get anything the twin in the MT07/XSR700 is a blast it's just a fun punchy motor that everyone seems to enjoy but that's why it's so hard to find good deals on those. SV650s are worth looking into they're not as fun as the Yamahas but close.

Back
Top Bottom