Would you fix this bent rim, or replace it? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Would you fix this bent rim, or replace it?

oioioi

Site Supporter
Asking for a friend, seriously, who discovered he has a bent rim after going into a pot hole on the 401 several seeks ago.

Is this repairable or would you replace it?
Tire is getting replaced for sure. (just installed at the end of last season, has maybe 2500kms on it)

Also, other than Union-Rim, any other suggestions for rim repair?
1695136732395.png

1695136785167.png

Would help to know what bike.
I would replace it.

Track or street only? That looks fixable to me. I would ask repair shop what they thought. To be honest, repair may not be much less than a replacement from a wrecker. If I was going to uber-high speeds, I don't love repaired rims.

If you're going to get them straightened, Union is the only place I would go (based on personal experience)

Street use only.
Union-Rim is looking at it today.

I also think its fixable but after calling some shops around to see if they fix bent rims or can recommend a shop, they all say they prefer to replace.

Finding a used/salvage rim is going to be hard. Kawasaki Versys is not to most popular and I don't know if the rim is shared with any other Kawi.
New rim is approx $650+tax

Street use only.
Union-Rim is looking at it today.

I also think its fixable but after calling some shops around to see if they fix bent rims or can recommend a shop, they all say they prefer to replace.

Finding a used/salvage rim is going to be hard. Kawasaki Versys is not to most popular and I don't know if the rim is shared with any other Kawi.
New rim is approx $650+tax
Some info here. May not be directly applicable to 2016.

Just got word from my friend.
Rim is repairable. $150
Dropped off this morning at 8 am and will be ready for 5 pm pickup.

They do normally say 2 business day turnaround but he is on a time crunch as we have 3 day trip planned this weekend.

UnionRim

For those interested. Here are some pics of the repair.

Timing did not allow for getting it repainted.
My buddy will see if he can source out a new/used rim or maybe paint in the off season.

For now it is good to go for a ride.

1695165912675.png

1695165929511.png

1695165941558.png

1695166014587.png

1695166040838.png

Just got word from my friend.
Rim is repairable. $150
Dropped off this morning at 8 am and will be ready for 5 pm pickup.

They do normally say 2 business day turnaround but he is on a time crunch as we have 3 day trip planned this weekend.

UnionRim
Nice!
I need to get one fixed!
Did he have to remove bearings or tire beforehand?
Would they have painted it to match if he had the time?

Yes tire needs to be removed to for the repair and they do not not offer mounting dismounting service. You need to look after that yourself.

Also if paint is required rotors need to be removed.

Yes they would have painted if time allowed for it. Obviously for some.extra $$$

Last edited:
Yes tire needs to be removed to for the repair and they do not not offer mounting dismounting service. You need to look after that yourself.

Also if paint is required rotors need to be removed.

Yes they would have painted if time allowed for it. Obviously for some.extra $$$
That's strange. They did 2 Subaru aluminum rims for me about 6 years ago.
Dismounted and reinstalled tires, even roadforce balanced them.
Maybe motorcycle tires make them nervous?

That's strange. They did 2 Subaru aluminum rims for me about 6 years ago.
Dismounted and reinstalled tires, even roadforce balanced them.
Maybe motorcycle tires make them nervous?
They may not have the equipment to mount motorcycle tires.

Very interested in seeing how that repair holds up.

I've had experience with two bent rims, one a cast wheel and another a spoked wheel.

Took the cast wheel to a shop and they tried to press it back to shape, although it looked as good as your repaired one in the pics, it still leaked at the same spot, so was ultimately unusable.

The spoked rim, every shop said no, too close to the spokes to repair:

IMG_0364-X2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom