Would motorcycle insurance be cheaper if I get an M1 now and not drive? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Would motorcycle insurance be cheaper if I get an M1 now and not drive?

Snorlex

Should I get motorcycle insurance under my parents name?
Or should I just get the license and wait?
I'm 21 and live in Toronto. Thinking of getting a 2007 CBR1000RR.

:happy1:

research is your best friend before asking stupid questions, unless you book the m2 exit course this weekend if theres available space near you , your wasting your money on your m1 and one more time just to make sure your paying attention research is your best friend

It's cheaper if you don't ride at all.. But as the rest say..come on don't just ask a question with ZERO research...in a nutshell..your plan is nothing more than daydreaming.

OK I don't get it. What's wrong with the question? I'm asking will getting the M1 now and basically not own/insure a bike until I get the Full M, will that lower the insurance? Or should I just wait since getting a M1 now makes no difference if I get the M1 in the future? I couldn't find the answer to that when searching the web, so I came here and ask a few questions. And what do you guys mean do more research?

Get your license now, and let it sit until you have an M. That's a long process but regardless if you were going to buy the bike now or buy it a year from now, if you got your license now and sat with it for a year, insurance would look at is as experience even though you may have not ridden at all since you got your license. Your best bet is to get your license as early as possible but I dont think there are any M1 exit courses still available. And it's a long shot insuring on a liter bike before you're 25.

OK I don't get it. What's wrong with the question? I'm asking will getting the M1 now and basically not own/insure a bike until I get the Full M, will that lower the insurance? Or should I just wait since getting a M1 now makes no difference if I get the M1 in the future? I couldn't find the answer to that when searching the web, so I came here and ask a few questions. And what do you guys mean do more research?

What peple are saying is that you have done zero research before posting. Look at the stickies in this exact sub-forum. You'll learn everything about licensing, insurance, beginner bikes, etc. People just get tired re-typing same thing every single day. I'll help you get started. If you get your M1 now, it will expire in 90 days, unless you're brave enough to do your M1 exit in the winter (if ministry will even do that).

OP don't mind the attitude of this site. I find it's just the way it is around here. It's almost hard to ask noobish questions. Gotta start somewhere but a lot of people on here don't see it that way EVEN after you've done search.

Get your M1 now. It's not a lot of dollars and takes like 20min. Sit on it for a while. Take 3 day course (probably late this year so next year). It will run you about $300-$400 but will teach you good basic riding skills.

What the hell are you thinking going 1000cc as your first SS? Are you out of your mind? Tops I'd go is 600cc. Maybe even look into 250cc for yourself. Don't rush it.

Last edited:

Unlike many people I'm not questioning your choice for starting on anSS. Its a free country people make their own choices wether wise or not. I started a couple of months ago on a 600ss and it's been good to me (1000 was too much for my first). The thing is that at 21 with my full G I'm still getting destroyed on insurance. (4k :( ) so you getting insured for a 1000 would be quite a longshot. I don't honestly think it will make a big difference if you have a full M. The big difference will come once you're 25. Why not get your license and ride something more manageable before getting your M?

Welcome Snorlex. You're on the right track, but getting only your M1 will not aid you in insurance down the road since it expires after 90 days.
Get your M1, take a course that offers the M1 Exit so you have your M2. Take your M2 exit as soon as you can, then sit on the license for
3 years to get a break. Alternatively get your M2, and buy a CBR 125 or Ninja 250 and pay the insurance and enjoy riding. Use some of the online
insurance quote systems to get a feel for how much you'll pay. There's no savings to be had by putting it in your parents name.

Get your license now, and let it sit until you have an M. That's a long process but regardless if you were going to buy the bike now or buy it a year from now, if you got your license now and sat with it for a year, insurance would look at is as experience even though you may have not ridden at all since you got your license. Your best bet is to get your license as early as possible but I dont think there are any M1 exit courses still available. And it's a long shot insuring on a liter bike before you're 25.

I asked state farm this same thing a while back and they said all they care about is years of INSURED riding. So just holding an M1 doesn't really do anything for them.

I'm not saying laydee is wrong- just letting you know what i was told. Probably varies between insurance companies :)

Alzwow has it right - You can have a full M for 30 years and the ins. co. will say "That's nice - how long have you had a bike continuously insured?"
They're most interested in your insurance history, not your driving history - unless you've had at fault claims or been charged for driving infractions.
I had bikes for a few years, in my distant past and didn't get one again for many years. Even though I had a M all the intervening years and did ride from time to time - when I got my new bike and got it insured, the ins. co. charged me the same as a new rider.
Get yourself the cheapest POS you can find, get it licensed, get the cheapest coverage you can and start you "insurance history". Doesn't matter if you ride it, or leave it hanging upside down in your garage - you have started your insurance history - and that seems to be what's important to them.

Should I get motorcycle insurance under my parents name?
you can't be a secondary driver on a vehicle unless someone else is a primary driver. One of your parents would need their motorcycle liscence, and be insured on the bike. But even then, if the insurance company finds out YOU are the primary rider, your insurance becomes null and void (worse than not having insurance at all)
If it's your bike get your insurance.
Or should I just get the license and wait?
as said by others... it's years of experience, not years liscenced
I'm 21 and live in Toronto. Thinking of getting a 2007 CBR1000RR.
CALL, which means pick up the telephone and dial a number to an insurance company and ask for a quote. That's the only way to see what your options are. TD and state farm are the only two who will insure supersports without a huge mark up (eg. rate x 500%) State farm won't insure you because you don't meet their requirments (age/experience)

Something that has more horspower than a civic which weighs the same as a nfl center isn't going to be forgiving if you make a mistake. Riding is all finesse. It's a skill which takes a long time to master.

RTI >link< has m2 courses into november (toronto location)

This forum doesn't seem noob friendly for a reason. When I started, I found answers to all these questions with a little research on the forum. You don't even have to search since all the info are in the sticky threads.

Insurance does get cheaper when you sit on your M2 even uninsured which is what I am doing. If you have had your G license for awhile then try StateFarm for not SS bike. They gave me the cheapest rate since apparently they take into consideration your whole driving history which is quite nice.

Last edited:
21yrs old, new to riding and a 1000cc sports bike is a bad idea as cool as it seems. Even if you could afford the insurance.As the others have already said, insurance companies look at how many years you've been insured for a break. I suggest waiting for the spring cause getting your licence now and purchasing a bike and insuring it now is torchure. lol I did that two years ago, that was the longest winter ever.Grab yourself a smaller cc bike to start so you can learn and get experience, then in 4 years when your 25 you can get that 1000cc have the experience and 4 years of insurance for it to be way cheaper on insurance. Some great starter bikes are the GS500, EX500, sv650 and ninja 650. Not sure why peeps are suggesting a 125cc bike when dude clearly wants a bigger bike. lolLook at all the sticky threads, make some calls to insurance companies and ask to be quoted on bikes you are interested in to get an idea. My first year I went with Riders Plus. Cheapest for me at the time, now with State farm cause they give a deal when you combine car and bike together.

Last edited:
Thanks for infos. I'm now thinking of getting a dirt bike or something similar, but I'm just not sure if it's street legal or if it's even a good beginner bike.

I got a question. So if I get a 50cc scooter and insure it for the cheapest coverage, would it help me to build my insurance history? Would it enable me to get a break when I get 600cc?

They look at the date you got your M2 not your M1, if he gets his M2 in October and a bike next year in October it counts as 1 year to insurance companies... Regardless if he's been insured or not.

Back
Top Bottom