Would I be stupid to go for the Icon Alliance Dark helmet? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Would I be stupid to go for the Icon Alliance Dark helmet?

I have an Icon Alliance helmet, it is the lightest helmet I have. I wear earplugs and I don't hear much wind noise, no whistling which is good.

I have an Icon Alliance helmet, it is the lightest helmet I have. I wear earplugs and I don't hear much wind noise, no whistling which is good.

That's what I like to be honest... it's very plain and light weight supposedly. My main criteria is that it's lightweight/comfortable or I won't want to wear it.

Just worried it's not as safe.

Does it have all the certifications to be used for a course etc?

They are a good helmet for the price, DOT + Snell approved. I wore an alliance for years before getting a modular, still toss it on now and then.

They are a good helmet for the price, DOT + Snell approved. I wore an alliance for years before getting a modular, still toss it on now and then.

Thanks, I'm doing the msf soon so it's time to get this stuff in order.

I'm already derailing my thread but any budget glove suggestions?

I ride with Icon also. Had a slightly more expensive one, and bought a matte black Alliance for two up. Some of the best helmets for the price. Don't be fooled, as long as you have that DOT it's all good. Icon makes awesome helmets with nice functional designs, I really like them and haven't bought any other brand since.

Thanks, I'm doing the msf soon so it's time to get this stuff in order.

I'm already derailing my thread but any budget glove suggestions?

I know a guy with medium Joe Rockets for sale....
Some places will let you do the course with Mechanix gloves, or leather work gloves. Good low budget choices if it's just for the M1X.

It's $150... how bad is it going to be compared to something for $300?

[video]https://youtu.be/rRugwnCkPBI[/video]

It's DOT and I think someone said Snell too. As long as it fits your head properly then you're good to go.

You like the youtubes so look for videos on how to properly fit a motorcycle helmet.
watch these: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=motorcycle+helmet+fitting+gui de+

It should fit snuggly on your head without having any pressure points. (Most common pressure point is the forehead). How do you tell if it's too tight....well you try em on and if you find one that you like, wear it around the store for 15-20 mins....yes 15 to 20 mins. When you take it off if you have huge red spots on your forehead and/or your head hurts then it's too tight.

Gloves...for the course heavy leather work gloves should work. Double check with the school.

Those bikes are either 125 or 250s at the most. If you don't know how to ride at all they're big enough. If you do, they are a lot of fun because you can toss them around easily.

Good luck and have fun. Welcome your new expensive addiction.

It's DOT and I think someone said Snell too. As long as it fits your head properly then you're good to go.

You like the youtubes so look for videos on how to properly fit a motorcycle helmet.
watch these: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=motorcycle+helmet+fitting+guide+

It should fit snuggly on your head without having any pressure points. (Most common pressure point is the forehead). How do you tell if it's too tight....well you try em on and if you find one that you like, wear it around the store for 15-20 mins....yes 15 to 20 mins. When you take it off if you have huge red spots on your forehead and/or your head hurts then it's too tight.

Gloves...for the course heavy leather work gloves should work. Double check with the school.

Those bikes are either 125 or 250s at the most. If you don't know how to ride at all they're big enough. If you do, they are a lot of fun because you can toss them around easily.

Good luck and have fun. Welcome your new expensive addiction.

Thanks for the advice on the helmet, I was worried to get one online because of sizing. I need to find a store that sells motorcycle helmets in my area, but that also has this one and similar.

I was really glad to see they don't use Ninja 250's or something like that... an Enduro style seems much more appealing. I've riden dirt bikes before.

And thanks, I am very excited.

Where are you located? We can point you to store(s) to go and try the helmet on at.

Ok, realized after I posted where Conestoga is located. Sorry I don't know the local shops there. I'm sure someone else that's closer to your area will provide a place or two. I've only ever been to Zdeno (?) once for parts. I know they have some less than stellar reviews but most places do.

Its a good helmet, I used to wear one a few years ago. Its good for the price that's for sure but its nothing compared to the Shoei RF1200 that I have now.

I have it and it's great. Love that it comes with 2 shields out of the box (clear and tinted)
It's not as quiet as a Shoei but it is also $150. Also, I find it very comfortable for long rides.
Good luck with your msf.

Focus group of one - I bought one because of cost/feature/function and it was comfortable. Did find the visor to be a pain though. It will be "safe." I did find the liner stretched quite a bit.

Thought it was actually pretty good value and didn't regret the decision.

Bought another helmet halfway through the season, as I decided I wanted an internal tinted visor and a lower profile fit. The one thing I found about the Icon was that I felt like I was wearing one of these...

Ostrich-Pillow2.jpg

Unless they changed it very recently, it's not Snell. The only 2 Snell approved Icon helmets are the Main Frame and the Domain2. http://www.smf.org/cert

I have/had a Matte Black Alliance. It was nice, did its job, flowed ALOT of air. The only thing I dislike(d) is having to change the visor "caps" when changing the visor.

Back
Top Bottom