Winterizing in a heated garage | GTAMotorcycle.com

Winterizing in a heated garage

timtune

Site Supporter
Now that my garage is heated (50F) I wheel the bike in and plug in the battery tender and I'm done til spring.

Should there be more to it?

my garage isnt heated but it doesn't get too cold in there at all.

i clean my bike and top up the tank. some people change the oil while others just leave it and wait till the spring to do so. my bike sits on cardboard as well (dont know if it actually does anything but its basically zero effort on my part).

if you still have a carborated bike theres probably other annoying stuff.

Depends how you feel about fuel stabiliser, I suppose. I also plug/cover the exhaust and air intake to keep critters out, and put it up on stands...

Fill the tank to the brim, add stabilizer, ride bike for a few minutes to distribute through the fuel system...park, and plug into tender.

That's about it. Plugging exhaust is a good idea as mentioned if your garage has critters...as many do.

Much of the stuff some others do (Lifting the bike off the ground, removing battery and bringing it in the house, etc etc) are really unnecessary.

Your motorcycle is an in-animate object. Cold is not an issue.
Everything else still applies.
Other than the battery I agree cold is not the issue. My issue before heat was temperature flucuations. Come in after the temps have gone up & down to find everything covered in dew. In no time the lathe is starting to flash rust.....

I just fill them up with Ethanol free gas, park them in the garage, toss on their dust covers that's it. Over the winter I start them once a month let them get to temp. No tenders, no stands (all my bikes have center stands).

I keep mouse traps in the garage, get the odd one but I've never had one get inside a bike.

My FJR is on it's 6th year without needing a battery, my VStrom entering it's 5th with the original battery, and my GL1000 last battery was 2013. I did toast one battery this winter, one of the old Yammies called it quits. I'm guessing it's because I haven't ridden her for a few years.

Routine maintenance gets done over the winter so I can spend time riding during the season.

You have all good suggestions above
But.....

Are you late with putting it into winter storage or are you planning for next winter already?

I thought you would be asking the opposite at this time of the year.

How to get it out of winter storage?

Simple answer is do everything in reverse. Including the fuel stabilizer. ;)

I have pretty well been doing all of the above but I also stuff a rag into the exhaust and place moth balls everywhere. I have a purpose built shed and never get mice inside. I am crediting the moth balls for that. Not sure if they do anything at all.

With respect to fuel stabilizer, I have added the appropriate amount every year. Last month, I watched this Fortnine video and now wonder if stabilizer is necessary at all.

i store my bike by rolling it onto Styrofoam squares just to keep tires off cold surface, and unless you're totally sealed for sure, i'd prep for rodent invaders - warm space means they're potentially moving in?

I have pretty well been doing all of the above but I also stuff a rag into the exhaust and place moth balls everywhere. I have a purpose built shed and never get mice inside. I am crediting the moth balls for that. Not sure if they do anything at all.

With respect to fuel stabilizer, I have added the appropriate amount every year. Last month, I watched this Fortnine video and now wonder if stabilizer is necessary at all.

" I was up late writing a script" was all I needed to hear...
not sure the testing is real world conditions at all...

I overdo it. Here's my annual process:
  • Fill quality gas
  • clean chain
  • deep wash, dry, protective polish/wax
  • lubricate common moving components (kickstand, cables, etc)
  • lubricate the chain
  • lift the bike on front and rear stands
  • change oil with new, cheap oil - reuse old filter
  • check tire pressure and adjust as needed
  • Plug in battery tender
  • cover the bike
Beginning of riding season:
  • change oil with quality stuff + new filter
  • check tire pressure and adjust as needed
My garage is small (10x20) so keeping it heating it to 16-18 degrees keeps the space dry during temperature fluctuations. I use a cheap 30a princess auto heater with a thermostat. Works great.

I cover the exhaust with tin foil from my hat.

That way if I forget to remove it, it blows off instead of catching fire.

???

Why are we discussing winterizing your bike at this time of year.

Are you late with putting it into winter storage or are you planning for next winter already?
I thought you would be asking the opposite at this time of the year.
Why are we discussing winterizing your bike at this time of year.

Plot twist: OP lives in Australia.

Back
Top Bottom