Winter storage | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Winter storage

But then I just have old British bikes which are relatively simple to service and for which there are now no shops with mechanics who are familiar with such antiques.
AFJ
Make certain the smoke is sealed up securely in the wiring harness. 1667249148737.png

Actually, my old British bikes are "negative earth" ones so I am careful to store them in an "east-west" position for the winter to ensure that they will service more easily in the spring. I have never noticed that any particular general incantation helps spring starting up, but I do oil the decompression cable, as a routine practice, with 10W oil.
AFJ
My old brit I do a couple of things.

Spray the tickler with WD40 then smear with grease, change the fork strings, and put the drip tray under the motor.

Don't forget the drip tray. I also

You don't get issues with rust or leather cracking? What kind of cover do you use?

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk
You can spray certain bits with wd40 to prevent rust. Some suggest applying a coat of wax but don't buff it off till spring. Whatever makes you secure.

You don't get issues with rust or leather cracking? What kind of cover do you use?

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk
^ What @timtune said, but also depends on the bike. My old R3 was more prone to getting surface rust on nuts and bolts, while there was only some rust on the kickstand for the Ninja. No leather on my bike except when I'm riding ;) . I just use a fairly basic universal bike cover.

Try to avoid parking on grass or dirt. Moisture will rise from the ground and be traped by your cover.
I budjet for storing my Motoguzzi at the shop I deal with here in Kingston.
Think of it as buying insurance.
For just over $250.00 it stored in a heated location, oil is changed and the battery kept charged.
I use a shelter tent from Canadian Tire for storage of some projects but they do not seal to the ground and snow can blow in.
I will lay a tarp on the ground and tape it to the walls of the tent to prevent this.
It will still be vented at the top to let the moisture escape.
I spent 47 years in Alberta and the snow there are much smaller & lighter flakes than in Ontario.
I have seen it blow into and fill exhaust pipes.
Use a marine grade gas stabilizer, store your battery inside on a trickle charger and seal the surface of paint & chrome.
Fluctuation of temperature will cause condensation on everything even if it is covered.

Try to avoid parking on grass or dirt. Moisture will rise from the ground and be traped by your cover.
For just over $250.00 it stored in a heated location, oil is changed and the battery kept charged.
I use a shelter tent from Canadian Tire for storage of some projects but they do not seal to the ground and snow can blow in.
I will lay a tarp on the ground and tape it to the walls of the tent to prevent this.
I spent 47 years in Alberta and the snow there are much smaller & lighter flakes than in Ontario.
Use a marine grade gas stabilizer, store your battery inside on a trickle charger and seal the surface of paint & chrome.
Fluctuation of temperature will cause condensation on everything even if it is covered.
Venting a cover is key. You need to secure the cover so it cant blow off but the more air movement the better.

I have seen a horrible mess in a garage. Between houses people stored their furniture in a friends slab on grade garage (not actively climate controlled) with a tarp over it to keep things clean. Unwrapped months later to find a horror show. Water had evaporated from slab, condensed on tarp and rained on the furniture. Everything was encased in mold and went to the dump.

I think that the type of bike, its value and how long you plan to keep it might drive a "where do I store it" type of dialog.

I store in my garage, with a proper MC vented cover, never any issues. I also have mouse bait + traps set out as well to deal with any rodent issues.

I'd be reluctant to store the bike in an unheated shelter, in particular if the wind, rain and snow might get in, as well of rodents. $250 for proper indoor storage sounds like a great deal IMO.

For most folks that have a gas lawn mower, the same principles apply. I wouldn’t get too deep in the weeds over thinking it.

Protect it from the elements the best you can. Keep it away from rodents/squirrels that will load it with chestnuts, build a nest, leave crap etc.

If you have a bike worth some $, find a place to store it that is climate controlled etc.

Grab a battery tender or yank the battery and bring it in and put it on a tender etc.

Maybe change the oil in case you start riding in the spring and don’t think about it then.

It’s always tempting to ride sunny days in the spring and next thing you know, you missed an oil change because the weather was too cold or couldn’t get to the dealer or what ever.

Just be mindful of your baby and do what you can.

It should start in the spring and check the tire pressure and blast out the old fuel and get some fresh stuff in the new season.

It’s always tempting to forgo the maintenance in the spring as you want to ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your location has some outside space big enough, one answer is to build a small "box" of plywood big enough to roll your motorcycle in to it and with a hinged lid to cover the bike. I know of one "box" built on the "pull on parking space on the driveway" that the municipality decided to overlook as the bike was normally parked there with a cover anyway. And the "box" was just as small.
If it is "bikes" you could check with the local municipal by-laws to see if a "garden shed" is permitted. Often something up to 100 sq. foot (8' x 12.5') is allowed and these are available as plastic kits at some building supply stores. Or they can be built from plans if you have carpentry skills.
I remember (long ago) a fellow who kept his Vincent Rapide on his large front porch of a house in downtown Toronto for the winter. It was about 5 or 6 steps up from the sidewalk level.

AFJ
The Ontario building code for outbuildings was recently changed to 160 square feet without a permit. You should check to make sure your municipality has caught up. I mean call them, do not refer to their website as the change was done very recently and municipalities have not updated their website yet.

If you have water or electrical running to the building, you require a permit.

The Ontario building code for outbuildings was recently changed to 160 square feet without a permit. You should check to make sure your municipality has caught up. I mean call them, do not refer to their website as the change was done very recently and municipalities have not updated their website yet.

If you have water or electrical running to the building, you require a permit.
A
AFJ

Last edited:
you can also consider one of the dozens of shrink wrapping companies and litterally mummify it for the winter. CTC sells a product called 'no damp' in tyhe RV / boat section. You put the can on the ground, on a piece of shrink wrap, they pull the top over and seal it up for the season. they can fit little wing vents in the plastic so nothing sweats.

Actually, my old British bikes are "negative earth" ones so I am careful to store them in an "east-west" position for the winter to ensure that they will service more easily in the spring. I have never noticed that any particular general incantation helps spring starting up, but I do oil the decompression cable, as a routine practice, with 10W oil.
AFJ

We had a similar issue with our cast iron cookware becoming magnetized if not used in proper rotation. Try cooking a southern dish in a pan that is now only pointing north.

• Haha
Reactions: TK4
our english country house was so cold we would thaw a turkey for Christmas in the hope we could eat it at easter...

• Haha
Reactions: TK4
Thankfully, I work for car-guys... we all part our toys in the back of the warehouse. I fill the tank, throw in stabilizer on the last ride; park it inside, and cover it. Throw a battery tender on it once or twice over the winter. I'm lucky that's an option.. if not, I'd probably go the dealer-storage route as well.

I winterized my VStrom for the 3rd time this year.
Thankfully all it takes is
-Full tank of gas + Fuel Stabilizer
-Trickle charger
-Centre stand
-Bike cover

Oil was changed as well but that is part of regular maintenance and not as part of the winterization

After this weekend, I really don't think I will have to do it the 4th time.

Kind of on topic... Can I cheat with my battery tender? I have three bikes with leads and just keep switching the tender once the light stays constant green (fully charged). Worst case maybe a bike is off tender for a week. Garage is heated but much 45-50F.

Back
Top Bottom