Wind on highway | GTAMotorcycle.com

Wind on highway

Sam I am

Hello,

Want to know how to deal with wind on the highway. Especially the Burlington sky bridge it’s really windy.
How do you guys deal with it ? I’m 240 lbs abs Cbr500 is probably Another 400 lbs, but I can feel the wind shaking my bikes

I duck and hug the tank, take the right most lane and try not get behind bigger vehicles. Make sure the jacket/pants are not flapping about (close the zips which allow air to passthrough, if u have such thing)

you lean into it a bit like going into a corner

5z9o.gif

movie_details_no_one_ever_notices_03.gif

5prI.gif

Unlocking your elbows is the main trick.

I got used to it

Grip the tank with your knees!!

Lean into the wind, it feels like you are floating

I lived in Cape Town for a few months and it was one of the windiest cities I've ever been to.

When we were there, a motorcycle rider was blown off the road on one of the mountain passes and plummeted to his death over the edge.

The local riders gave us a tip for dealing with cross-winds: stick your knee out towards the direction of where the wind is coming from. It will act as a sail, which will then push the tank of your bike into the inside thigh of your other leg. This will make the motorcycle feel a lot more stable.

Doesn't work as well in gusty conditions though, only a constant cross-wind.

Alternatively you can always go under the Skyway bridge. I find it much nicer, no wind!

Even with my full front fairing, wind does present issues at times, turbulance behind Rigs, large trucks going opposite direction, or open fields. You'll figure it out with more riding.

In windy conditions, your lane placement is more important as you can move around a bit. (remember the entire width of the lane is your to use, as required) Stay calm, don't lock up and try to lean into the wind slightly to offset its force.

Wind, rain, snow can all be normal parts of the riding season. While it may seem scary at first, you'll quickly get used to it.

Alternatively you can always go under the Skyway bridge. I find it much nicer, no wind!

Even with my full front fairing, wind does present issues at times, turbulance behind Rigs, large trucks going opposite direction, or open fields. You'll figure it out with more riding.
Out here in SWO you can get used to big gusts coming from open fields and then you drive into the lee of the farm with instantly no wind and almost loose it the other way.

This write-up helped me: How to Safely Ride a Motorcycle in Windy Conditions

A naked bike made it especially scary at first with no fairings to guide the wind away. But like others said, you'll learn the ways of counteracting the wind effects. Stay loose and low!
With some faired bikes the fairing acts like an airfoil and you have to compensate but it's hard to describe. You almost have to crab the bike. It takes getting used to and each bike will be different.

The bigger risk on a very windy day is a sudden change from passing an oncoming heavy vehicle or grove of trees. Alternately, a break in a line of trees can knock you sideways a bit. Years back it took the life of a F-1 driver so be prepared.

Highway riding with crosswinds and buffeting, in addition to the techniques already mentioned here, I try to keep my speed up as fast and as steady as I can get away with. I genuinely feel more stable. I'm sure some physicist could answer or maybe just my personal placebo?

Back
Top Bottom