Wife had an accident on 4 wheels - question for the insurance guys / gals | GTAMotorcycle.com

Wife had an accident on 4 wheels - question for the insurance guys / gals

just_luc

Site Supporter
So despite my advice not to go to work today in light of the multiple feet of snow we received and icy roads this morning, the buses being cancelled, cabs pulled off the road etc.. my wife, foolhardy as always ventured out down the 400 and bounced her SUV off a guard rail..

Single vehicle accident, no one else involved and luckily she wasn't hurt.. but there's significant damage to the vehicle.

That said, despite the damage being significantly more then my dedutable.. given her less then stellar driving record and lack of accident forgiveness for her on our policy I'd prefer to repair the vehicle myself and save on the increased insurance premiums for the next 6 years. BUT and here is where my question lays.. given all the fantastic luck I have, there was a cop directly behind her when it happened.. so even though nobody else was involved and she was able to drive her vehicle from the scene, a report was filed. No charges, it was attributed to weather, but a report none the less.. so.. my question, while i'd ideally just repair the vehicle and not file a claim.. since the report was filed, will my insurance company receive a copy and raise our premiums anyway, even if I don't file claim? If so it would be stupid of me to pay for my own repairs since i'll be paying the increased premiums anyway.. or does the insurance company only pull said reports when and if I file a claim?

I know there are some folks on this board who work in the insurance industry, so any insight would be appreciated.

P.S. Yes I am aware that I am supposed to report the accident to my insurance company regardless.. not looking for the legal answer, just want to know if I'm going to get screwed paying higher premiums for her regardless or if I can avoid it buy doing my own repairs.

Sorry, I am zero help. Those are great questions and I hope someone comes along who can answer.

But I'm glad you're wife is OK. And you sound like a good guy (I detected remarkably little vitriol in your post) so I really hope everything works out best for you. Good luck!

If you were going for a new policy they would ask if you've had any accidents in he past 5 years, and underwrite the policy to reflect this

So now the policy is written, and to not disclose this seems shady. They wrote the policy under the info you provided, so I would think you may have to disclose this as well.

Not sure how they would find out though, unless they pulled the info during an audit or underwriting the policy again.

So despite my advice not to go to work today in light of the multiple feet of snow we received and icy roads this morning, the buses being cancelled, cabs pulled off the road etc.. my wife, foolhardy as always ventured out down the 400 and bounced her SUV off a guard rail..

Single vehicle accident, no one else involved and luckily she wasn't hurt.. but there's significant damage to the vehicle.

That said, despite the damage being significantly more then my dedutable.. given her less then stellar driving record and lack of accident forgiveness for her on our policy I'd prefer to repair the vehicle myself and save on the increased insurance premiums for the next 6 years. BUT and here is where my question lays.. given all the fantastic luck I have, there was a cop directly behind her when it happened.. so even though nobody else was involved and she was able to drive her vehicle from the scene, a report was filed. No charges, it was attributed to weather, but a report none the less.. so.. my question, while i'd ideally just repair the vehicle and not file a claim.. since the report was filed, will my insurance company receive a copy and raise our premiums anyway, even if I don't file claim? If so it would be stupid of me to pay for my own repairs since i'll be paying the increased premiums anyway.. or does the insurance company only pull said reports when and if I file a claim?

I know there are some folks on this board who work in the insurance industry, so any insight would be appreciated.

P.S. Yes I am aware that I am supposed to report the accident to my insurance company regardless.. not looking for the legal answer, just want to know if I'm going to get screwed paying higher premiums for her regardless or if I can avoid it buy doing my own repairs.

I dropped my bike on my first year of riding and and someone called the police again; single vehicle accident. I had my friend ride the bike home while i went to hospital, separated shoulder. Police filed report but didn’t give a copy to insurance. I don’t know if there is a way to check if the police filed it with insurance too.

Not sure how it works today, BUT when I was a copper we did NOT send reports to insurance they had to request it and then pay for their copy, (that was sooo long ago that police forces had JUST started to charge for the reports before they were provided free)..LOL So the answer is unless things have changed in the "digital age" the police do not forward reports to insurance.

My experience has been that the insurance company will find out once a police report has been filed.

The insurance company will send you a letter in a few months asking if you want to file a claim. The impact to your premium will be the same regardless of whether you file a claim or not since the insurance company finding out already means that your driving record has been impacted.

If you don't file a claim you should be fine. I've even gone so far as to ask to file a claim and then changed my mind the next day. Insurance didn't care. Although it was not at fault (other guy hit me, said he was going to pay, didn't, I called to make the claim, he got a call from his insurance, called me begging me to retract my claim, I did, he paid for repairs plus $50 for being a dick).

If you don't file a claim you should be fine. I've even gone so far as to ask to file a claim and then changed my mind the next day. Insurance didn't care. Although it was not at fault (other guy hit me, said he was going to pay, didn't, I called to make the claim, he got a call from his insurance, called me begging me to retract my claim, I did, he paid for repairs plus $50 for being a dick).

It's because it was not at fault. If it was at fault, the situation would be completely different. Your record would be negatively impacted as soon as the insurance company found out about the accident, regardless of filing a claim or not.

It's because it was not at fault. If it was at fault, the situation would be completely different. Your record would be negatively impacted as soon as the insurance company found out about the accident, regardless of filing a claim or not.

You sure? As far as I'm aware that's only if you're charged. No claims and no charges means they don't care, at least in my experience.

I've opted not to file a claim and hope for the best. Coincidentally I just got my renewal papers yesterday. Seems early since I don't come up until March, but no increase on them so I guess I'm good for this year at least.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

I've opted not to file a claim and hope for the best. Coincidentally I just got my renewal papers yesterday. Seems early since I don't come up until March, but no increase on them so I guess I'm good for this year at least.

Yes they normally send out the renewals 45 - 60 days in advance. That is legislated to give you time to seek a better rate. Otherwise if they "could" I am sure they would send it out just in time for you to have it in hand when the current policy year expires. They sent mine out in Dec for a end of Feb renewal. I am changing companies, so it benefits me.

Next time just take her ****ing keys and save yourself this headache. Its similar to a drunk thinking its ok to drive...his dumbass doesn't know any better.

You sure? As far as I'm aware that's only if you're charged. No claims and no charges means they don't care, at least in my experience.

That was my experience a few years ago. The adjuster said that it made no difference if I claimed or not as my driving record was already impacted just because they were informed of the accident.

Next time just take her ****ing keys and save yourself this headache. Its similar to a drunk thinking its ok to drive...his dumbass doesn't know any better.

Cool, so she works 7am to 7pm.. what time are you picking her up?

That was my experience a few years ago. The adjuster said that it made no difference if I claimed or not as my driving record was already impacted just because they were informed of the accident.

That's my understanding as well. BUT that's assuming the insurance company took the time to check your record and update their files. Luckily they don't always.

Back
Top Bottom