Why I'd buy another Yamaha | GTAMotorcycle.com

Why I'd buy another Yamaha

Mad Mike

I've had several Yamaha's over the years and had nothing but great experiences on my Yammies.

My TW200 was fun to ride around the city, perfect urban Toronto speeds, light and easy to move in city traffic and and $10 worth of fuel would get me 300km. In 25,000 KM the only thing I ever did to the bike was change oil and tires and 1 battery. It's the grown up's version of a Honda Z50. She was sold when my wife decided to ride, she didn't like the quirky style.

My Virago 250 was another fun little bike. Got it to train my kids, bought it from Humber College for $800 with unknown number of rider training miles. The bike needed a front tide to pass safety, I rode her 20K on oil changes and 1 set of tires. She was sold once the boys learned to ride.

My 2 XV920Rs (Emma and Ethyl) are still going strong. They are approaching 40 years old and still run as well as they did when they were new. The only thing outside of routine wear items are a rebuilt cylinder on one of them due to an oil line block and replacement exhausts on both. I'd hop on either and run to the west coast without hesitation.

My FJR is getting old, but still runs like new. She has had regular fluid changes, brake pads and tires. One valve check at 40K (perfectly in spec), a battery after 8 years, otherwise there has never been a wrench on the bike.

None of these bikes are remarkable in any way other than their bulletproof dependability. I ride for me, turning the key and having my bike get me there and back is the thing I value most.

Very underrated machines.I should ride my 43 year old Yammie someday when my daughter doesn't have her mitts on it.

My RD 400 was incredible, FJ 600 dependable and the 2002 FZ1 was fast and comfortable. The Gen 2 FZ1 was disappointing and abs never got added for the NA market. Then nothing notable from Yamaha to keep me tied to the brand until recently with the triple motors.

I have owned a higher mileage FZ6, FZ1, Super Tenere. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another. Same can't be said for KTM and Suzuki.

hear hear!

loved my old RD's
both the FZ600 and FZ6 were great bikes
TW200 was tons of fun

FJ09 was a disappointment, but my fault
first year of production and bought it before they were here

#1 brand for affordable reliability

My Yamaha Eq was an amazing addition to my stereo... oh wait that't not what we are talking about here... oh never mind. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Love my FJR. Checks all the boxes for me.

I'm torn on this. My 78 YZ50 was awesome but my 79 IT125 was a turd......

I've never owned a Yamaha. There've been a couple of reasons for that.
The Viragos in the course, were too cramped for full lock turns, which gave me a bad habit of tipping my knee out to clear the bars. My friend who got me into bikes had mostly Hondas and showed me how reliable and easy they were to work on. They're also well supported. Finally, the R series seems to have taken over much of the old gixxer crowd.

I've never owned a Yamaha, but I have never heard anybody complaining about their Yamaha.

None of my friends who owned big 4 Japanese brands complain about their bikes. Have heard many complaints about Ducati and HD though. BMW and Triumph not so much.

No complaints with any of my Yamahas - an FZR400 (88) and multiple FZR600's (89, 90, 91) - other than feeling a bit "sterile", or utilitarian. They didn't stir my soul the way my 88 GSX-R750 did, nevermind my Honda Hawk GT or my Ducati's.

Damn, I forgot about my very first street bike - a DT200R.

Had a lemon of a FJ600 before, my Yamaha sled did a 360 thru the air and survived well, only broke the windshield. Had more Honda than Yamaha, but ownership years are probably the same, or the Yamahas might be higher since I've had a Yamaha in the garage for almost the last 15 years. 2 in there now. Had a few Gixxers and even the odd Kawai.

Back
Top Bottom