Why I'd buy another Suzuki | GTAMotorcycle.com

Why I'd buy another Suzuki

Mad Mike

I've had several Suzuki's over the years and had nothing but great experiences on my Suzi's.

A beat up TS125 2 stroke was one of my learner bikes. I likeed that bike so much a just bought a rough 1974 Prospector (4 high/4low) to restore.

My SP125 is fun to ride around the city, perfect urban Toronto speeds, light and easy to move in city traffic and and $8 worth of fuel gets me 250km. She's 37 years old and still running like a champ.

My TS250 was another fun bike. One of the first true dual sports, it was super dependable for a 2 stroke, running 20,000 KM before needing rings and 60K before needing cylinder plating. Sadly the power valve situation became a problem or I'd still have that bike.

My M50 was the first cruiser I owned. Bought it to ride with a friend who wanted to try cruisers, that experiment lasted 1 season. It's still running strong, never laid a wrench on that bike.

My GSXR1300 was fun and a beast. Nothing but filters, fluids and a lot of tires. Sadly I aged out -- sold her last year -- too old to lie on tanks.

My DL650x surprised me. I wanted something cheap that I could use for some light ADV on fire and off highway roads, I had very low expectations and figured this could be a garage queen for me. I think I've fallen in love with this bike, I find myself riding it more than the others combined. Again, bulletproof so far, 40K on her and she's yet to see a wrench on anything other than adjustments and fluid changes.

None of these bikes are remarkable in any way other than their bulletproof dependability. Except for the TS200R they are all pretty boring and don't have much personality or character. I ride for me, turning the key and having my bike get me there and back is the thing I value most.

I've had several Suzuki's over the years and had nothing but great experiences on my Suzi's.

A beat up TS125 2 stroke was one of my learner bikes. I likeed that bike so much a just bought a rough 1974 Prospector (4 high/4low) to restore.

My SP125 is fun to ride around the city, perfect urban Toronto speeds, light and easy to move in city traffic and and $8 worth of fuel gets me 250km. She's 37 years old and still running like a champ.

My TS250 was another fun bike. One of the first true dual sports, it was super dependable for a 2 stroke, running 20,000 KM before needing rings and 60K before needing cylinder plating. Sadly the power valve situation became a problem or I'd still have that bike.

My M50 was the first cruiser I owned. Bought it to ride with a friend who wanted to try cruisers, that experiment lasted 1 season. It's still running strong, never laid a wrench on that bike.

My GSXR1300 was fun and a beast. Nothing but filters, fluids and a lot of tires. Sadly I aged out -- sold her last year -- too old to lie on tanks.

My DL650x surprised me. I wanted something cheap that I could use for some light ADV on fire and off highway roads, I had very low expectations and figured this could be a garage queen for me. I think I've fallen in love with this bike, I find myself riding it more than the others combined. Again, bulletproof so far, 40K on her and she's yet to see a wrench on anything other than adjustments and fluid changes.

None of these bikes are remarkable in any way other than their bulletproof dependability. Except for the TS200R they are all pretty boring and don't have much personality or character. I ride for me, turning the key and having my bike get me there and back is the thing I value most.
Didn't you just write this about Yamaha?

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Didn't you just write this about Yamaha?

Sure did. After a little reflection I decided both have been remarkably good to me! Honda almost, I've had 3 (CB750, GL1000, GL1500) and they were all great and while thy had more character than my Y and S, they we not nearly as bulletproof. I still have a GL1000, she's fun on Sunday rides -- I'd gamble on a cross country trip even though she's 44 years old.

Out of curiosity, what has been your favourite bike thus far? not necessarily the most reliable or easy to work on, Im talking sex appeal, that bike that puts a smile on your face every time you ride it and look at it.

A beat up TS125 2 stroke was one of my learner bikes. I likeed that bike so much a just bought a rough 1974 Prospector (4 high/4low) to restore. ...
Do you have the transmission apart? Take a look see if the second gear spur gear is just press fit onto the countershaft. Was a weak spot, fail prone part on TS185's

Not a Suzuki fan. My first bike, a 83 GR650 had electrical problems that I could never solve, mind you I had little experience troubleshooting back then. I pretty much gave it away as I could never get it to charge. My 2nd bike, a 94 Katana 600 had second gear problems forever. Most likely abuse from the previous owners. I pretty much gave that one away as well. Then I moved onto Honda and haven't looked back. Just my experience.

I would start a "Why I would buy another Harley" thread, but it would go on for an acrimonious 10 pages, like they always do.

Suzuki's / Kawasaki's are a great platform . If you stick to more of main steam model , they parts are very accessible.
Suzuki parts are very interchangeable between years and platforms ; with plenty of people who purchase /crash them.
They can be fixed almost anywhere in N.A.

Out of curiosity, what has been your favourite bike thus far? not necessarily the most reliable or easy to work on, I'm talking sex appeal, that bike that puts a smile on your face every time you ride it and look at it.
That's a hard one to answer. I have a few bikes, I truly get the smile from riding -- not so much the bike.

If I had to pick one it would be the Hayabusa. It was incredibly well behaved and easy to ride. At the same time it was thrilling and scary to know that 9500rpm in 2nd gear put you at risk for "racing" and 6 demerits. It was the only bike I've owned that always got a nod and wave from HD riders.

Do you have the transmission apart? Take a look see if the second gear spur gear is just press fit onto the countershaft. Was a weak spot, fail prone part on TS185's
Actually mine is a TC125, slightly different that the TS. TCs have a 4 speed transmission with a high and low range. They are great off road in low, in high range they will hit 70MPH, about 5mph faster than the TS125.

I was a little disappointed with my one Suzuki, an '06 V-Strom 650. Nothing majorly wrong with the bike, but a few annoyances.

The fuel tank had some inside rust which blocked the fuel pump filter. Fixed by hacking up the fuel pump to bypass the built in filter and installing an external filter. Not a major issue, but it's common, and not something I've experienced on any of my other bikes with similar age and mileage.

Besides that, the plastics and finishes just felt cheap. Yes, it's a budget bike, but my Yamaha's are budget too and seem to have higher touch and feel quality.

I've had 4 GSXR 600's and 2 GSXR 1000's. Never a bad experience with any of them.
Put 55,000k on most of them not including the one in my avatar as it was just a track bike.
Prob the reason I always pull for Suzuki when watching Motogp.

Suzuki has been really good to me. Several RM 125's, 250's PE's, TE's and a multitude of GSX-R 750 and 1000's. Gas and oil and go. Never had any issues or problems.

Suicide park pretty much says it all for the Japanese. If you don't do a good job, it's honerable that you go kill yourself?! Bizarre, but true.

Then you have Italian bike manufacturers who go out for a four hour lunch and come back full of wine. It definitely shows in the quality.

Suzuki for life!

Some creepy videos on YouTube of Aokigahara Park (Suicide Park) for those who like horror.

I’ve had many Suzuki’s over the years, among others, worst I can say is one that had a propensity for fouling plugs. Probably needed a carb rebuild, not sure as I was pretty young at the time. Never had any major issues and wouldn’t expect any from the other major Japanese manufacturers. There are lemons in every basket.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

I have owned a lot of different bikes in my life but have never owned a Suzuki. I have always found something just a little bit special about other brands I have owned and I'm sure it would be the same if I had owned a Suzuki !

Back
Top Bottom