Why Harley-Davidson Owners Hate the Street 500 and 750 Motorcycles | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Why Harley-Davidson Owners Hate the Street 500 and 750 Motorcycles

If memory serves I bought my 83 650 Nighthawk from dealer in 85 for $1800 so $1450 seemed low for an 84 500 Ascot new out the door. ...
I bought an FT500 Ascot single for 1450$, Sonic motorcycles had an add in the toronto paper for them, was in the fall riding season as I recall and absolutely was on a discounted sale price, price was the only reason I bought one. Shortly after that they were selling the twin cylinder Ascot for the same money as the single, which is how I came up with that #. At 3 grand I would have never owned one, they really weren't that great.
The twin also featured shaft drive, liquid cooling and 6 speed instead of 5, so I had a tiny bit of buyers remorse.

What price would they need to put on a Harley Street to make it an impulse buy for people?

Last edited:
As insipid as the Ascots were, they are somewhat collectable (not to be confused with valuable) these days, especially the FT500. Not too many simple, standard big singles out there, and there never were a lot here in North America (Yammie SR500 also comes to mind).
I can't see the Street models becoming collectable, ever!

A couple vtwin bikes come to mind as great bikes that never made it .

Vision 550
Hawk gt650

My VT500 Ascot cost $2,800 in 1985 - albeit included a windshield, engine guard, luggage rack. Kicking myself for not getting the 750 Nighthawk S at the time - that was $500 more at $3300 IIRC.

I've been thinking about the big single street bikes, SR/Ascot... but relized KTM does that now (e.g. 390 Duke)
Your e.g should be the 690 Duke, I was a lil taken aback when I found out that engine was a single cylinder.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

I'll sell my FT500 to anybody inclined to want it for half what I paid for it, as is where is ? comes with ownership papers.

"Why Harley-Davidson Owners Hate the Street 500 and 750 Motorcycles"

They don't hate them they just don't care.

Make about 9000 of these and sell them cheap as possible, start a race class. How expensive could it possibly be,
has no front brake or anything that costs serious money.

thumb_72510_1200_800_0_0_auto.jpg

I'll sell my FT500 to anybody inclined to want it for half what I paid for it, as is where is ? comes with ownership papers.
Make about 9000 of these and sell them cheap as possible, start a race class. How expensive could it possibly be,

Make that bike add a simple guage set, brakes, signals and a headlight, sell it for $8k against. Target Bolts, Rebels Scramblers and maybe...

The FTR750 Indians cost $50K (US) each - you won't build a V&H Harley for any less.

Point me to something expensive on that bike other then the V&H stickers.
:/ If you put lights and brakes on it you have defeated the purpose, is designed exclusive for racing on horse tracks.
They want to make grass roots Harley faithful teenagers using what they have on hand, there you go.

Point me to something expensive on that bike other then the V&H stickers.
:/ If you put lights and brakes on it you have defeated the purpose, is designed exclusive for racing on horse tracks.
They want to make grass roots Harley faithful teenagers using what they have on hand, there you go.
Purpose built frame, wheels, forks, shock, body work, exhaust. Even without motor work that stuff doesn't come cheap.

maxresdefault.jpg

What body work? it doesn't have fenders or fairing, lights, horn or instruments, exhaust doesn't need a cat or to be street legal.
Competition only bikes don't have a warranty, the motor was made in India, not Bavaria and those wheels and tires are cheap! Suspension components we don't know about but I'm not seeing anything that looks like it came from Ohlins.. (oops correction front forks do indeed say ohlins , there is just shy of 2 grand retail right there, but they could fit it with S3's at half the price)

This is what expensive purpose built motorcycle construction looks like, not a bunch of bicycle tube steel welded together.

mv-agusta-f3-official-photos-43.jpg

Last edited:
I found the Harley Street Rod to be to damn small, I love the idea of the bike. but at 5'11, I was crammed. Also I haven't seen to many tuning number out of them. There is no after market for them it seems.

Back
Top Bottom