Why do bicycle lane split without getting $*** | GTAMotorcycle.com

Why do bicycle lane split without getting $***

qaz393

Site Supporter
Why do bicycle lane split without getting $***??? Isnt it also stunting for them to do this?

Impound the bicycle's and suspend their licences.....oh wait...

I don't see anything wrong w/ this question?

I've done speed riding before and have clocked myself going 40. I know my brother can do 70 easy, in fact he's been trying to get a ticket by doing 70 in 40 zones just to brag about it.

so....what's wrong with this question? Hate train? 99% syndrome?

油井緋色;1918001 said:
I don't see anything wrong w/ this question?

I've done speed riding before and have clocked myself going 40. I know my brother can do 70 easy, in fact he's been trying to get a ticket by doing 70 in 40 zones just to brag about it.

so....what's wrong with this question? Hate train? 99% syndrome?

Lets say they do get caught, what do you expect them (popo) to do? Like Jayv said "Impound the bicycle's and suspend their licenses"? What if they don't have a license? How are you going to make them pay? What if the cyclist decides to run? Its harder catching a bicycle than a motor vehicle as they have more flexibility...Not worth the effort, maybe just a warning.

Lets say they do get caught, what do you expect them (popo) to do? Like Jayv said "Impound the bicycle's and suspend their licenses"? What if they don't have a license? How are you going to make them pay? What if the cyclist decides to run? Its harder catching a bicycle than a motor vehicle as they have more flexibility...Not worth the effort, maybe just a warning.
You can get a DUI against your driver's license for riding a bicycle drunk. I see no reason they couldn't impound your bicycle and suspend your driver's license for stunting on a bicycle.

That one that always makes me jealous is when I'm stuck standing in downtown traffic, having literally not moved an inch for 20 minutes, while cyclists are passing me constantly in the bike lane. Wish I could just get into their lane and putt past all the cars. Usually this would only be to the intersection where some stupid streetcar has broken down again and then I could be on my way. I swear I encounter blocked traffic due to a dead streetcar every single time I go way downtown and try to go north.

You can get a DUI against your driver's license for riding a bicycle drunk. I see no reason they couldn't impound your bicycle and suspend your driver's license for stunting on a bicycle.

That one that always makes me jealous is when I'm stuck standing in downtown traffic, having literally not moved an inch for 20 minutes, while cyclists are passing me constantly in the bike lane. Wish I could just get into their lane and putt past all the cars. Usually this would only be to the intersection where some stupid streetcar has broken down again and then I could be on my way. I swear I encounter blocked traffic due to a dead streetcar every single time I go way downtown and try to go north.

What if you dont have a license?

There is some validity to the concern in the OP. Everyone sharing the road should be governed by somewhat similar rules. I'm sure if the question was directed at those annoying (unlicensed) electric bikes/mopeds the tone of the replies would be of less ridicule towars the OP.

Having an enforced set of rules for all types of vehicles sharing the road would help prevent many road incidents.... I've seen many near misses for motorists on the road caused by non-motorized vehicles..

MANY of the things done by cyclists are against the law, but are not typically charged. Many sections of the HTA apply to all vehicles, not just motor vehicles, and there are sections that are only applicable to bicycles.

The sections of the Criminal Code (249+) that apply to land vehicles do not apply to bicycles, because the specifically state MOTOR vehicles. For this reason Section 253, which pertains to impaired operation of a vehicle, does not apply to cyclists.

MANY of the things done by cyclists are against the law, but are not typically charged. Many sections of the HTA apply to all vehicles, not just motor vehicles, and there are sections that are only applicable to bicycles.

The sections of the Criminal Code (249+) that apply to land vehicles do not apply to bicycles, because the specifically state MOTOR vehicles. For this reason Section 253, which pertains to impaired operation of a vehicle, does not apply to cyclists.

exactly. HTA applies to bicycle on the road.

HTA does not apply to anything on private property

A buddy in high school got a speeding ticket on his bicycle. Can't remember if anything ever happened with it though.

A buddy in high school got a speeding ticket on his bicycle. Can't remember if anything ever happened with it though.

I had a friend that got clocked going over 70 down hill in a residential area and the cop just told him not to do it again and didn't give him a ticket because no one would believe him anyways. lol

I really wish the WERE enforced... Maybe accidents like last night's cabbie vs cyclist encounter that closed University could have been prevented...

I really wish the WERE enforced... Maybe accidents like last night's cabbie vs cyclist encounter that closed University could have been prevented...

I had an incident where if I were in a car I would have hit the cyclist. He was coming down a road that was intersecting on the right with the road I was on. Guy swings out into the right lane without even looking if there was traffic. Luckily, since I was on the bike, I could just get in the left tire track and pass him. If I were in a car he would have become my hood ornament. This was at night, too.

So that's what happened there. I've had far too many near misses from cyclists as I cross in crosswalks, but at least on one occasion I had the pleasure of seeing a couple of cycle officers stop and ticket the idiot.

an ebike can be charged with over 80 under the criminal code as it counts as a motor vehicle under CC, but is a bicycle under the HTA.

an ebike can be charged with over 80 under the criminal code as it counts as a motor vehicle under CC, but is a bicycle under the HTA.

<dfn>“motor vehicle”</dfn> means a vehicle that is drawn, propelled or driven by any means other than muscular power, but does not include railway equipment;

Remove the pedals and you've got a vehicle that can be considered a 'motor vehicle.'

Last edited:
<dfn>“motor vehicle”</dfn> means a vehicle that is drawn, propelled or driven by any means other than muscular power, but does not include railway equipment;

Remove the pedals and you've got a vehicle that can be considered a 'motor vehicle.'
I always heard that if you remove the pedals it is no longer considered a bicycle at all, even under the HTA and now must be ridden as if it is a motorcycle including requiring insurance, helmet, license, etc.

Most of them don't have the pedals on anymore.

All E-bikes riders are required to wear helmets as is, and if either the pedals are removed, or the motor is more than 500W, then it is considered a motor vehicle.

Honestly, people seem to ride E-bikes as if they're unlicensed motorcycles anyways. Maybe it is a good idea to make them easier to police?

As I recall the law also states mandatory bicycle helmets if you are under 18. I have yet to see or hear of someone getting a ticket.
I guess helmets are not that important so no need to start them young.

It boggles my mind how ebikes can just hop on the roads without training/testing/license/insurance/sticker, and we laugh at them.

Back
Top Bottom