Who's still riding? (Fall & Winter 2019 Edition) | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Who's still riding? (Fall & Winter 2019 Edition)

Happens this time of year - warm and sunny yesterday followed by a cool damp night = condensate on the road. Be careful, as the nights grow cooler that can turn into skiffs of ice before the morning sun hits them and melts things again.
Yeah.... I don't go out if anytime during the night it dips below 2c. Not going to tempt faith with the chance of ice on the ramp....

I drove to work this morning

:(

The fog made it impossible for drivers to see me and that was no fun on the highway

How do experienced bikers deal with this?

I just rode to work; the fog down this way was so thick you couldn't see much more than about 30 yds. I thought it was because I live in a depression, and it would be fine once I climbed out of the hole, but it was all the way in, condensing on me and dripping off the whole way. As others have mentioned, I usually keep going until the risk of black ice rears its ugly head.

Fall riding challenges:

Fog. Always dangerous no matter what you ride/drive/fly or sail. Extra dangerous for MC riders as our vision and visibility is dramatically reduced. We are hard to see front and back, more attention to what's coming from behind, monitoring of traffic speed, and keeping an exit plan in mind.

Blinding sunrise/sunset: The sun is lower and can be blinding for about 20 minutes early and late. Most caution in heading in the direction of the sun and at intersections.

Black Ice. Possible at <2C by day and <5c by night. Highest probability on bridges, dips and N/S roads running alongside open fields.

Grip. Below 7c MC tires lose a lot of grip and no matter how hard you ride it's impossible to keep tire temps anywhere close to optimal. You lso have to deal with debris (leaves, mudding), enough sun to evaporate dew.

Driver awareness: As the number of bikes diminish from fall roads, as does driver awareness -- they forget about motorcyclists really quickly so extra attention to your speed and other driver's action/behaviour is a must.

AGATT is also a good idea this time of year. It keeps you a bit warmers and considering the increased chances of a riding mishap you can keep more skin.

Fall riding challenges:

Fog. Always dangerous no matter what you ride/drive/fly or sail. Extra dangerous for MC riders as our vision and visibility is dramatically reduced. We are hard to see front and back, more attention to what's coming from behind, monitoring of traffic speed, and keeping an exit plan in mind.

Blinding sunrise/sunset: The sun is lower and can be blinding for about 20 minutes early and late. Most caution in heading in the direction of the sun and at intersections.

Black Ice. Possible at S roads running alongside open fields.

Grip. Below 7c MC tires lose a lot of grip and no matter how hard you ride it's impossible to keep tire temps anywhere close to optimal. You lso have to deal with debris (leaves, mudding), enough sun to evaporate dew.

Driver awareness: As the number of bikes diminish from fall roads, as does driver awareness -- they forget about motorcyclists really quickly so extra attention to your speed and other driver's action/behaviour is a must.

AGATT is also a good idea this time of year. It keeps you a bit warmers and considering the increased chances of a riding mishap you can keep more skin.

To add in regards to Sun, even when traveling opposite the direction of the sun, remember that oncoming traffic is struggling to see, and will cross into oncoming, run red lights, and wander into other lanes causing others to evade.

I've seen drivers reach up to flip the sun visor down while holding a mug in the other hand. Steering, presumably, with the power of their mind.

As always, drive like you are invisible. You are.

ATGATT keeps you warm, which helps your brain work faster. Stiff, shivering hands make for poor bike control.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I put a piece of painters tape along the bottom of my visor this time of year, others put one along the top. With it along the bottom I can adjust it up and down to block out the sun when it's low in the sky, without having to angle my head to a particular position. When I'm done, the tape comes off.

The other hazard is the leaf-lookers. They're not paying attention to their driving, they stop in strange and unpredictable places without realising that they may not be visible to other traffic, they drive slowly while oohing and aahing and playing with their cameras.

One of the stranger weather maps I've seen ...it's warm tomorrow but wet might just be able to time for a later afternoon ride, - had a nice ride today ...odd wind direction

NatLoop.gif

What it looked like at 1.30 am
Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at Oct, 22    2019    1.26.59 AM.jpg

We road up to the Port Perry Tim Horton's on Sunday. The most bikes that I have seen up there all summer.
That's it for me, I will put it in storage this week.

Today was too nice to pass up. I went for a late afternoon ride through the city. Saw a bunch of other riders doing the same, nice night!

Traffic was horrid.

But, it was very nice out

I never really never stop riding unless there is risk of ice or snow on the road. I have put over 4,500 km on my bike so far in October, 1653 km this week (starting Sunday) so far.

Proper gear makes a huge difference. In this calendar year I have ridden from +38°c/100°f down to -18°c/0°f.

..Tom

I never really never stop riding unless there is risk of ice or snow on the road. I have put over 4,500 km on my bike so far in October, 1653 km this week (starting Sunday) so far.

Proper gear makes a huge difference. In this calendar year I have ridden from +38°c/100°f down to -18°c/0°f.

..Tom
-18 holy crap.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom