Who can competently test moto batteries? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Who can competently test moto batteries?

TwistedKestrel

King of GTAM
Site Supporter
I am developing a distrust of the battery in my bike, but I'd rather be sure before dropping $200 on a new one. Is there a shop or retail store that can effectively test small batteries? Against my better judgement, I tried CT after they assured me they could do it but it turns out that they couldn't. I remember Pep Boys in the US being able to do this no problem with a smallish handheld digital tester.

Most MC shops have a specialized load tester. The car ones may or may not provide you with accurate information.

Last edited:
Sadly they don't hold enough acid in the cells to use a regular automotive hydrometer tester.
Guessing that is what most auto mechanics would first reach for.

I have a heater like JF linked (but analog). It doesn't care what kind of battery it is testing. If you try to use a fancy digital battery analyzer, those are likely sensitive to battery size (and the manufacturer probably wants shops to buy more tools or unlock options to do small batteries).

If you want the ghetto but convenient test, turn kill switch off, multimeter on battery terminals and crank your bike while watching the multimeter.

Hook it up to yer electric trolling motor for a while and see how far it pushes yer boat ;)

My daughter was wondering about a test and got one free from Part Source. Canadian Tire was free if you carry the battery into the counter. In the car was $60.00. I've had false test reports from CTC on an alternator saying it was bad when it wasn't. Rather than take the first opinion I went to an alternator shop and it passed with flying colours and the test was free. I made sure they got coffees and donuts.

A few days after the CTC test I got a call from their customer service asking how I felt about the service. I told them, expecting an apology, explanation or correction. NADA. I guess they only want to hear good news.

Sadly they don't hold enough acid in the cells to use a regular automotive hydrometer tester.
Guessing that is what most auto mechanics would first reach for.

no
specific gravity of electrolyte tells you charge status
a battery can appear fully charged then fall on it's ass under a load test

no
specific gravity of electrolyte tells you charge status
a battery can appear fully charged then fall on it's ass under a load test
True that; lead sulphide crystals collect in the battery casing until it finally shorts out the plates.

Reactions: J_F

Back
Top Bottom