Which helmet: Shoei RF1100 or Shoei Qwest | GTAMotorcycle.com

Which helmet: Shoei RF1100 or Shoei Qwest

2smokewilleh

Site Supporter
Well.. as the title says,

Which helmet, Shoei RF1100 or Shoei Qwest.. By the looks of it, Royal Distributing has the RF1100 for $449.99 (Black) or the Qwest for $377.99

I've read a few professional reviews, which say they are both good helmets, One review i read said the Qwest was better than the RF1100 and that people should buy it instead.. but then i've read some that say the opposite..
Looking for some practical information and/or a different helmet in the same range that I should look at..

Also, better price on either at a different store than Royal Distributing?

I have an 1100 and it's superb. Every part is excellent, I don't have a single complaint. So if reviews are saying the Qwest is as good, then you can't go wrong with either. I do believe the Qwest is slightly rounder on the inside than an 1100 so keep that in mind if you're trying both on for size.

Depends on type of riding you are doing.

I head the 1100 is better suited to sport bikes where your head is in kind of a tucked position

The Qwest is more of a tourer and a straight up position.

Just quoting a review I saw on Youtube.

You can get an RF-1100 from Royal for 407.99.They price match and all you have to do is bring in the ad from Pete's Superbike (a printout will do). if you need an e-mail from Royal about their price match, PM me. They gave ma a hard time until I produced the document.

Have they got any decent graphics in the Quest yet? Last time I looked they were nasty. Prices seem to be coming down a little, if I can get a graphics Quest for the price of a solid I might try one although I really like my Shark RSR2......I think I have a shopping problem.

I've had an Rf-1100 since spring '10, about 12000 km now. Fits my head well and ventilation is 'ok' but it's a bit noisey (I always wear ear plugs) in the upper temple area when riding the sport bike compared to previous RF-1000. In cold weather (5*C or less) the upper vents whistle and there is air leakage on both sides of the visor - it's cold. I've used it on a couple of different bikes with up-right riding position and the noise is far worse, it ventilates very poorly and at higher speads it it pulls a bit when I turn my head. Recently while riding one of the upper vent covers fell off when I opened it. I've been waiting for a couple of weeks now for the replacement to arrive. Overall, I'm dissapointed with it. Your mileage may vary.

Hey, thanks for all the great replies guys..
Im probably going to go for the qwest (Depending on feel).. seems more suited for an upright seating position, which is more so how I ride.. THanks for the links to the much cheaper prices on line.. going up to royal tonight to see if they will price match.

Thanks!!

RF-1100 Hands down! I love it... I could wear it all day! As a matter of fact I have!

RF-1100 [video=youtube;wTvZakJhzGc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTvZakJhzGc[/video]
[video=youtube;U_4UX60iAn8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_4UX60iAn8[/video]

Qwest [video=youtube;G2uJzZMd-Pw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2uJzZMd-Pw[/video]

What a coincidence. I was just in GP Bikes trying to decide between the RF1100 and the Qwest. I was replacing my EXO1000 Scorpion which I thought I'd try after wearing Shoei for like that last 16 yrs... big mistake. My history. RF???, TZR, Scorpion EXO1000....

Anyway, the sales guy said that the RF1100 was a model above the Qwest. I have read from a few posts that the Qwest was meant to replace the TZR helmets as the Shoei entry level helmet (not sure if I believe that).

The sales guy said that a few people that have bought the Qwest have said that it has the same noise level as the RF1100. I have not tried the Qwest, as I ended up with the RF1100. So, I can't verify that either.

I found the Qwest fit a bit smaller than the RF1100 - both Large size. I believe the RF1100 has a bit different interior shape. Also, the RF1100 has a longer shape as opposed to the rounder Qwest. I believe that longer shape reduces the amount of buffeting my head goes through when I ride. My old TZR was a rounder shape like the Qwest, and I experienced a lot of buffeting.

My new RF1100 - seems to slice through the wind a bit better.

Noises wise - the RF is pretty quiet when you close all the vents.... But then it gets hot. Open the vents and obviously you hear the wind noise, but the vents really move a lot of air. More than the Scorpion and the TZ. The RF has a lot better graphics - more choice than the Qwest.

So, I'm enjoying my new RF1100... and now know that I will only ever by Shoei helmets from now on.

ARAI, Corsair-5.

I have the Qwest and am very happy with it, lots of ventilation and I got a lot of graphics on it. I have a long oval head and wear an xl. fits very well. Took a couple of rides to get it broken in.

I don't know if anyone noticed, but the RF1100 is more oval and the Qwest is more round fit-wise, which could be an important consideration for some. Try on XXL if they are available. The XL RF1100 was too small for me (it fit, but was borderline tight) and it was clear that XL Qwest didn't offer enough forehead space. Going up to the XXL RF1100 did the trick. The XXL Quest was comfortable too, but had too much play in the sides.

Keeping the rear vents closed helps with the noise. If the wind hits you crossways and the vents are open, it gets terribly loud.

Depends on type of riding you are doing.

I head the 1100 is better suited to sport bikes where your head is in kind of a tucked position

The Qwest is more of a tourer and a straight up position.

Just quoting a review I saw on Youtube.

I had the Quest for my vancouver trip on my R6 and it wistled and shook when I was in a tuck but if I sat straight up with my head perpendicular to the road it stopped and was quiet.
I just got an RF-1100 and rode a cruiser with it and found the opposite with my head straight it whistled when I tilted my head forward it stopped.

Just as stated in the quote. Quest for Cruiser/Touring bike. RF-1100 for Sport riding.

Cheers,
Geoff

I'll keep saying it again and again, buy whichever one fits you better. I tried 8+ different helmets, some were way more expensive than Shoei. Ended up with Qwest and RF-1100 in my hands. 1100 just felt better on my head, so I picked that one.

same as all the other helmet threads. buy the one that fits you best in your budget. 1100 is awesome in my opinion and with a little effort you can get for <400 (hint: sturgess). if the qwest fits better then go for it.

Back
Top Bottom