Which GoPro? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Which GoPro?

YellowDuck

Site Supporter
I want to use a Gopro this year at the track. I would likely want to try mounting on the tank (normal forward view), sometimes on the tail (for a view of body position), and maybe down low once in awhile to view front suspension (I just get a kick out of watching the suspension work).

I know nothing about these things, and am not really interested in getting into it in any detail - I just want to get some decent footage for learning purposes. Is there any reason I shouldn't just buy a used original one (Hero 1)? They seem to be going for about $150 including memory card. What mounts do I need?

Does anyone have something suitable they would like to sell? Would rather buy from someone here instead of faceless person on kijiji.

Sounds like you'll be happy enough with most basic one...just get the motorsports version and it should include all the mounts you need...

I got the hero 3 this year, the black edition. Came with mounts that I needed except for the helmet side mount.
Quality wise if you want 1080p 60fps then you must go with the black edition and also if you want the superwide angle tthat's alsothe black eedition (but don't quote me) the hero 1 is a little out dated I would think with quality, if I were you the hero 2 shoots at 720p and is good for what you want. Here is some videos I took with my hero 3 on my bike the other week.
Make sure you click 1080p in the settings on YouTube for correct quality. Also remember that Youtube dumbs down the quality a bit so it actually looks and runs smoother on your editing software. But beware, the files WILL lag unless you have top of the line pc to edit them. I just don't edit mine and post right to Youtube. Or else you will be spending a lot of time converting and what not.

Check these out, shot with the Hero 3,black edition, 1080p 60fps (but Youtube only does i think 30fps)

[video=youtube;O1UQb0t_JBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1UQb0t_JBE&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

[video=youtube;QodwmP1Iu8Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QodwmP1Iu8Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Thanks HBH. What mount are you using on the tail?

Thanks HBH. What mount are you using on the tail?

Just a standard flat mount that comes with the Hero
You get 2 or 3 mounts with the purchase of the camera. It also comes with a waterproof housing and a wifi remote (that I don't even use)

If your considering purchasing a new hero 3,make sure you grab at LEAST and extra battery (I have 3)becaude they die about every 2 hours off a full charge :/

Battery only coast about $25 each. But we'll worth it.

The helmet side mount was $20... So accessories are pretty cheap but give you a lot of options for filming. Also I take a lot of still images with the Hero 3 and the black edition has I believe the best still image camera as well. They take excellent photos!

I have a Drift HD170--another great but cheaper alternative to GoPro, OP should check it out. However, I found out I never watch my footage, so I stopped filming altogether. How do you handle that problem? Maybe remembering time of day there was something worth cropping off the whole footage, then later you go after that particular piece, or you actually sit and watch the full length?

even the 1 does 980p and there is also a 1080p version. then you need a top notch pc to process it so no, its not really outdated...

Is there any reason I shouldn't just buy a used original one (Hero 1)?

Here is a video that was taken with my buddies Hero 1. First laps with the new bike so I borrowed it for a couple sessions. At less than half the price of the new ones I think it did a pretty good job when you watch it @720p +:

[video=youtube;UcXVF9-pvBw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcXVF9-pvBw[/video]

Last edited:
If you want the tank mount, kapscomoto has em cheap: https://www.kapscomoto.com/SearchRe...rch=Y&Search=tank+mount&Submit.x=0&Submit.y=0

I use that, with the $10 "tripod" adapter to attach my gopro to it: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/go-pro-gopro-tripod-mount-tripod-mount/10158510.aspx

[video=youtube;oHPGnl7vpB0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHPGnl7vpB0[/video]

I love that tank mount because you can see your throttle, brake and clutch :)

The tripod adapter linked above is useful for converting ANY camera with a standard tripod thread (i.e. Drift) to use standard gopro mounts

Drift_HD_Ghost_with_GoPro_tripod_adapter.jpg

I used the "curved helmet" sticky mount on the tail of my bike, nice thing about the gopro clip-in mount, is you can put the camera either way, facing your back, or facing out the rear :)

GoPro_front_plug_DriftHD_Ghost_rear.png

The above pics/vids, GoPro Hero2 in 720p30 out the front, and Drift HD Ghost in 720p30 out the rear.

-Jamie M.

Last edited:
Hey Jamie, is the tank mount in a way interfering with riding (at the track that is)? I have such mount left over from my street days on previous bike, and the only reason I didn't start using it now is because I thought it will be kinda in the way?!

Hey Jamie, is the tank mount in a way interfering with riding (at the track that is)? I have such mount left over from my street days on previous bike, and the only reason I didn't start using it now is because I thought it will be kinda in the way?!
Hmmm. Lets see.

It limits your maximum speed to about 260kph (not a problem at tmp, lol) because any faster and it feels like your head is going to rip off (because you can't tuck in the center).
It teaches you to get your head in the right spot in corners/off to the side. Just gotta make sure on transitions you lift your head a little as you swing it over the tank.

After your first ride with it you'll forget it's there. You'll see in my video I don't hit the camera with my helmet once :) That was only my 2nd time riding with it, at all!

I could see on Mosport big track it might be an issue, and other fast tracks.

-Jamie M.

At least buy a Hero 2. I have experience with all 3 generations. Gen 2/3 has a better picture and gen 3 is a lot smaller and lighter

Hmmm. Lets see.

It limits your maximum speed to about 260kph (not a problem at tmp, lol) because any faster and it feels like your head is going to rip off (because you can't tuck in the center).
It teaches you to get your head in the right spot in corners/off to the side. Just gotta make sure on transitions you lift your head a little as you swing it over the tank.

After your first ride with it you'll forget it's there. You'll see in my video I don't hit the camera with my helmet once :) That was only my 2nd time riding with it, at all!

I could see on Mosport big track it might be an issue, and other fast tracks.

-Jamie M.
Dude if your camera is affecting your riding position, then it is time to get rid of the camera, unless your priority is to have video and not to actually improve on your riding abilities.

I placed my camera on my brake guard, completely out of the way from anything else and gives a great angle

track2.png

track1.png

Last edited:
I shoot all my ish in 720p cause I hate editing multiple cam's in 1080p :(

I'm going to do FOUR 720p cams, into a 1080p final edited video. Video layout will be like this:

quad%20camera%20gopro%20drift%201080p%20720p%20with%20images.jpg

That's a perfect 1920x1080 video frame, with THREE of the 720p cams at FLAWLESS quality (one at full res, the bottom two at half res). The only funny camera will be the fork camera, but hopefully quality comes out OK. I might shoot the fork cam in 1080p so it looks better when partially scaled.

Just need two more cameras :) Might pick up some of those cheap Ego cameras, maybe even something REALLY crappy, at half res it should still look half descent :)

-Jamie M.

Needless to say, this is insane, looking forward to see the footage!

So, I experimented a little bit with my Drift HD170 Stealth, went around the block with the camera mounted on the tank cap and it doesn't seem to interfere with riding. Sound quality is dreadful though, so I bought the adapter for my camera to be able to connect to any 3.5mm microphone. Picked a 5 dollar piece from the local store (http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=16_224&item_id=041980), initial tests of me speaking on the mic reveal huge improvement, so I'm optimistic. Now I wonder what's the best place to put the mic, I want less wind noise and more exhaust music. Maybe under the tail (above the tire)? Any tips?

Back
Top Bottom