Which bike would you recommend for a 600-800cc bike? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Which bike would you recommend for a 600-800cc bike?

2wzilla

Somewhere down the line I wish to upgrade to 600-800cc bikes. After creating a list of possible choices I went over them with 3 possible candidates. The candidates being

Honda CBR600RR
Yamaha YZF-R6
Honda VFR800F

To be most honest I prefer the R6 and VFR800. The only dilemma that I face with VFR800 is the V-TEC and wondering if the VFR800 worth it. It is more economical on fuel when riding on streets and still has the kick to get you going.

Here is a little comparison chart I made with few different bikes, just to pick the 3 you see in the list above.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4-8oeHTJ1rxaUhzV1Z4YnE1YkE/view?usp=sharing

If you own one of this bikes can you please give some pros/cons about them and your personal opinion of them. And can someone also explain the pros/cons of both In-Line Four vs. 90* V4

Big thanks in advance.

As is without any modifications the VFR is probably the best choice for doing long distances. More upright seating position, heated grips standard, luggage (optional i think), abs standard. However; I've not seen any great reviews about it (not negative reviews just not over the moon about it), only negative I've heard is it's down on power compare to other comparable modern sport touring bikes.

For your chart, all the sport bikes should have insurance costs as cons. The only real difference is which one looks better to the rider.

Full disclosure, I've not ridden any of them except my GSXR.

Last edited:
I like the look of VFR it's pretty low profile if compared to other sport touring which look like supermotos/mototards. The heated grips + ABS are standard, the luggage is indeed optional. And you are indeed correct there are very little reviews on the bike. Most say it's a good bike, just not worth the money as it's mostly small updates over its previous models, nevertheless still a very good bike. Insurance is tricky indeed, but maybe they will have some mercy as its a sports touring bike... maybe that touring part will melt their cold hearts :D

Do the GSXR's breakdown as much as some people say?

I've had no problems/recalls on mine so far. Recalls are over blown for the most part IMHO. All the Japanese bikes for the most part are bullet proof. Follow your maintenance schedule and you'll be good to go. ;)

Every VFR800 owner I know carries himself with a quiet confidence. You have no class but want some? VFR800.

Every VFR800 owner I know carries himself with a quiet confidence. You have no class but want some? VFR800.

Good one. I travel quite a lot and it's pretty hard to go 500+ km on a CBR250R (current bike). It's odd as the 250 isn't as sporty as R6/CBR600/ect but it exhausts you,
but it may just be the crazy vibration of the CBR250 that tires you out more. As more I look at VFR the more I love that bike, sure it may not be high in performance
as others in it's class but who cares I'm not looking at crazy performance of a super sport.

I've had no problems/recalls on mine so far. Recalls are over blown for the most part IMHO. All the Japanese bikes for the most part are bullet proof. Follow your maintenance schedule and you'll be good to go. ;)

Ha. I heard a lot of horror stories about GXRS and Ducatis that I stay away from those bikes. I guess some people don't have their info correct.

Good one. I travel quite a lot and it's pretty hard to go 500+ km on a CBR250R (current bike). It's odd as the 250 isn't as sporty as R6/CBR600/ect but it exhausts you,
but it may just be the crazy vibration of the CBR250 that tires you out more. As more I look at VFR the more I love that bike, sure it may not be high in performance
as others in it's class but who cares I'm not looking at crazy performance of a super sport.

Any small bike, no matter the riding position, will exhaust you over 500kms. VFR800 has a broader style power band better suited to street riding over 600SS and it's a less squiddy machine. Honestly, I don't know any dooshbags on VFR800. Thanks for starting this thread, it's given me the impetus to review VFR800 v 600SS ownership. I would not normally devote such effort to this matter. I rather like the results. Peace.

For me, it wouldn't even be a choice, vfr for the street. You won't notice the "lack of power" coming from a 250.
If you do buy a vfr, save your cash and buy a clean used one, look for something with luggage etc already added.
The v4 engine should have more bottom end torque, the i4 likes to scream.

Ha. I heard a lot of horror stories about GXRS and Ducatis that I stay away from those bikes. I guess some people don't have their info correct.

Aside from the 05-06 models, what horror stories are you hearing about Gixxer's?
Keep in mind they are the low cost super sports, so they sell a lot more of them...

Mine was bullet proof for 40k and I beat the hell out of it. (because racebike).

R6 is nice, can do fun stuff with the ECU of 06 or newer (R6 only, not R6S). 2008 R6 is best year/model. Flashing the ECU will remove the 60% throttle restriction down low and installing a -2 front sprocket will really wake it up.

and installing a -2 front sprocket will really wake it up.
So how is it on the hiway??? Did you even try 1 in the front or right to 2? You also make the chain roll around a smaller diameter = reduced chain life.

My 00 VFR averaged 400km/tank hwy and around 300-350 mixed/mainly city. Not sure how the newer ones do for fuel econ.

Amusingly, if it's a streetbike, I would totally decide against the two you prefer. They make crappy streetbikes.
The VFR is a fantastic streetbike

I don't know who gave you bad opinions on the gsxrs. I've had one with 80k & my present one with 73k. Runs like a champ. The 05-06 probably had rectifier issues & those are easy to replace, just plug & play.

If you like the vfr go for it. It's a v4 & should be lots of fun. Lots of torque down low. You will most likely out accelerate a r6 below 200kph

Amusingly, if it's a streetbike, I would totally decide against the two you prefer. They make crappy streetbikes.
The VFR is a fantastic streetbike

That's true, there not most comfortable bikes. In fact the R6 is probably less comfy than the CBR. Thing is I don't see many VFR's on the street so it kind of made me wonder if people buy them in first place. But to be honest for
street riding Naked bikes is the way to go like the FZ/FJ or the CB series bikes.

I don't know who gave you bad opinions on the gsxrs. I've had one with 80k & my present one with 73k. Runs like a champ. The 05-06 probably had rectifier issues & those are easy to replace, just plug & play.

If you like the vfr go for it. It's a v4 & should be lots of fun. Lots of torque down low. You will most likely out accelerate a r6 below 200kph

A guy I work with, keeps bashing on Suzuki and GXRS, some claims came from YouTube more from Downshift83 and other guys. I'm not looking to race on the VFR. It's not meant to go heads on against the 600's super sports, but that V-TEC sound is pretty neat at low rpm's and even better at high rpm's, other bike that makes nice engine sound thats unique is the Triumph Daytona with its being inline-3.

My 00 VFR averaged 400km/tank hwy and around 300-350 mixed/mainly city. Not sure how the newer ones do for fuel econ.

Honda kept most things same from the old VFR's the only differences is remapping, different swing arm, traction control, some body changes and dif pipe and they apparently smoothened out the V-TEC
system to perform better. The fact that its remapped and V-TEC performances has been improved makes me hope it's good on gas, but bikes are generally pretty good on gas.

Aside from the 05-06 models, what horror stories are you hearing about Gixxer's?
Keep in mind they are the low cost super sports, so they sell a lot more of them...

Mine was bullet proof for 40k and I beat the hell out of it. (because racebike).

Well the stories that I heard is that GXRs are always in service. The are the bikes that see the mechanic most often next to Ducatis and stuff like that, it comes from few people that I work with who seem to have a thing against Suzuki. Plus I guess GXRS get bad name because of the crowd that rides them, I can't count how many GXRS I seen here in Brampton stunting down Bovaird or stunting down Eglinton in Mississauga. I know every bike has stunned, but I sadly see most bikes score the GXRS/Suzuki insignia on them thus giving them a bad rep.

For me, it wouldn't even be a choice, vfr for the street. You won't notice the "lack of power" coming from a 250.
If you do buy a vfr, save your cash and buy a clean used one, look for something with luggage etc already added.
The v4 engine should have more bottom end torque, the i4 likes to scream.

Well if you go up from 250 to anything higher you will definitely see no "lack of power" I would see massive jump in power. I guess if you were to go from 1000cc to 600-800cc then it would feel odd to lose that chunk of power, but going from 250 you will be laughing at how silly your 250 was (still a very fun bike truth).

Back
Top Bottom