Which bike and what gear? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Which bike and what gear?

shuhan

Hi all,
I'm a new member considering riding. I've yet to go out to get my M1.
BUT if I were to... I'm looking at the kawasaki 250r. I've seen conflicting posts about whether this is a comfortable ride for taller riders. I'm 6' tall with proportionately longer legs and im ~185lbs. Will this bike be too cramped for me?
I love the style of this bike and the relatively small engine doesn't seem too intimidating to start on...:)

Next, how do people go about choosing what kind of gear to get? do you just stroll into a store and try stuff on to get fitted? Are bike jackets a MUST?

Also is it a good idea to gain some experience on your own bike before proceeding to take the M1X course from Learning Curves? Or is it common for new riders to attend those classes with zero experience?
I also am an automatic guy... my only experience with a manual transmission was with a 2004 toyota camry - which was.. interesting.

thanks in advance for your help.

Also have additional questions here http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...ntial-new-rider.-insurance-with-prior-tickets
This will determine whether or not I decide to ride...

Can't comment on bike choice...you need to find what feels comfortable to you. Go to dealers and sit on the bike.

As for the courses a large % of people who take the course have never been on a bike and never driven standard. The courses step you through everything you need to know...there is no need to have ridden before. If you have that is fine.

As for gear - absolutely go try it on...ever manufacturer's gear fits a bit different. Get the best that you can afford (saves the cost of constantly upgrading to better gear over the next few years)

Best of luck!

Hey luujer,

I took the M1X course without ever having been on a motorcycle, and I think most of the people in my class didn't have any experience either.
Don't worry about changing gears; you'll get used to it fairly easily.
I'd definitely buy a bike jacket; look for one with a removable inner liner. I'd also get a pair of boots that cover your ankles, and a pair of gloves. Any store with decent service should help you find something that fits you. You can also buy stuff online, as long as you know what your size is.

awesome.. this gives me a bit more confidence. lol I was worried about standard because I had a bit of trouble in the camry... It wasn't very forgiving.

I will be heading to a drivetest centre to do the knowledge test sometime this week. Hopefully I pass so I can head out to look for some helmets, boots and gloves.

Back
Top Bottom