Where to buy parts | GTAMotorcycle.com

Where to buy parts

Excluding myself (naturally) the motorcycling bunch is the cheapest group I have ever encountered. Just try selling a bike and the negotiations are basically..." take half off your asking and I'll take it". Never ever encountered a more tight-wad group in my life. So yes saving a whole buck on a washer can be a big deal, as unbelievable as it sounds.

Last edited:
owning a motorcycle here is a want, not a need
so if $2 is cramping a budget to get OEM stuff
maybe priorities should be re-examined ?

Jeez. Do you really need to save another $1 on a part that you'll need maybe a once or twice year?
No, i do not need to save the $1. I was really asking where do you buy your parts. Did not mean to sound as if I am penny pinching.

Excluding myself (naturally) the motorcycling bunch is the cheapest group I have ever encountered. Just try selling a bike and the negotiations are basically..." take half off your asking and I'll take it". Never ever encountered a more tight-wad group in my life. So yes saving a whole buck on a washer can be a big deal, as unbelievably as it sounds.
Naturally the motorcycle bunch are one of the cheapest (you and me excluded naturally!). I would like to hear more as to why you think that is. If negotiations are done in bad faith i fail to see any correlation between cars, motorcycles or anything else sold out there.

owning a motorcycle here is a want, not a need
so if $2 is cramping a budget to get OEM stuff
maybe priorities should be re-examined ?
Seems a bit judgmental without more context.

Everyone raised good points.

Excluding myself (naturally) the motorcycling bunch is the cheapest group I have ever encountered. Just try selling a bike and the negotiations are basically..." take half off your asking and I'll take it". Never ever encountered a more tight-wad group in my life. So yes saving a whole buck on a washer can be a big deal, as unbelievably as it sounds.
Check out the goldwing community. They are incredibly cheap from crush washers to car tires.

My apologies. I just wanted to say that paying retail isn't too bad when you can conveniently pick it up when they are at a store. I know we can shop online and all, but there is something about walk into a store and see the stuff in real life and pick it up right there on the spot.

Anyway, sorry if I made you feel bad.

Davis & Davis in Napanee (if you want offshore quality bulk fasteners and washers + farm equipment stuff)
or Brafasco (for special fasteners) near you (y)

HarleyHare said:

Excluding myself (naturally) the motorcycling bunch is the cheapest group I have ever encountered. Just try selling a bike and the negotiations are basically..." take half off your asking and I'll take it". Never ever encountered a more tight-wad group in my life. So yes saving a whole buck on a washer can be a big deal, as unbelievable as it sounds.

Naturally the motorcycle bunch are one of the cheapest (you and me excluded naturally!). I would like to hear more as to why you think that is. If negotiations are done in bad faith i fail to see any correlation between cars, motorcycles or anything else sold out there.

Seems a bit judgmental without more context. Everyone raised good points.

I've sold many things in my life and there is the usual bartering back and forth and a reasonable price is often met. But the exception is with the motorcycles I've sold and I've sold 5 motorcycles in my life. The only one which went reasonably well was a Honda 50 cc mini-bike I advertised for $400 and when the young father (who was buying it for his 10 years old son) looked at it he said immediately I'll take it and when he walked back to his truck, I asked where he was going? And he said he was going to give me $300 but when he saw it he said he had more money in the truck. Then after he loaded it, he told me it was worth at least $750.

The other bikes were R6, GSXR750 and a couple of Honda dirt bikes and that attracted mainly new riders and mainly in their 20s. Often the first question (except in one case it was their second question) they asked on the phone is "will you take $XX" (anywhere from 20% to 40% less than I was asking). The first time I was a little stunned because I've sold many things including cars and never had this as my first question, or for such a ridiculous low-ball offer. But I got used to it after a while, as it became a regular feature with selling bikes, apparently. So rather than answer them I responded with possible questions they might have for things I did not mention in the ad, such as "don't you want to know the kilometres?, or how long I've owned it?, or why I'm selling it?, or what condition is the bike (mint, average, needs work)"? One guy pulled up in a new Cameo with his buddies and who all looked like well-groomed frat boys. He got out and took 20 seconds to look at the GSXR, then low-balled me and said that was the limit of his endowment. I told him no thanks and off he went. The whole discussion took less than 3 minutes. So I was getting seriously low-balled by all kinds of 20 somethings, including those whose daddies spoiled them rotten.

The only explanation of why I encountered this attitude so often and with bikes only, is they were new riders, or not serious riders, wanted to impress their friends and use it as a weekend toy and were in their 20s and couldn't really afford it.

Last edited:
For general fasteners like socket head SS for rearsets, fairings etc I use AcklandsGrainer and buy in sets of 25 or 50 of common sizes. Then put them in dollar store segmented cases. Bunch to go to the track just in case and rest in the garage for home projects. Since I get a bunch of containers at a time when I order shipping isn't bad though you can pick up at a store as well.

The anti-cheap answer is McMaster-Carr for fasteners usually the next day but USD and shipping.

For specific bolts I go OEM from local bike shop (ATC Coral between Stouffville and Goodwood)

Jeff

Just because the fastener fits doesn't mean it's the correct application. Use discretion when sourcing replacements other than OEM.

Back
Top Bottom