When you sell your bike | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

When you sell your bike

I just get all the info of the buyer. That will satisfy the cops. The towing company will try for money or ask you to give them the ownership. I had forgotten I sold a 1983 katana 750 about 25 years back in the early spring. In August a towing company called saying they had my bike. It was still in my name. Sold for $2500 got it back for $300 and a drive to Barrie.

Stopped in at Ultimate looking for a seat cowl a few years ago. There was a RD LC sitting there. Looked familiar. Asked Brian to see the ownership. It was in my name. I had sold it in 89.

Private pilot has it right. And you can do that with just a phone call I believe

If the bike is still registered to your name when the dirty-rider crashes it, the cops will come knocking on your door. It won't take them long to figure out that the license plate is attached to the wrong vehicle, and it won't take long after that to search the VIN and find out who the registered owner is, and then they come knocking. If dirty-rider crashed the bike and ran away from the incident then as far as the cops are concerned, that was you (as the current registered owner).

If ownership was taken out of your name, sure, they could still find out who the last registered owner was (i.e. you), but it is additional legal supporting evidence that you're not involved.

I think the OP is more concerned with civil liability...
The scenario you describe is easily resolved.
The police for all their foibles arent THAT unreasonable or stupid.

Reactions: J_F
"If the bike is still registered to your name when the dirty-rider crashes it, the cops will come knocking on your door."
Good! I hope it's because they are bringing me back my motorcycle and I hope the ***** didn't smash it up too bad.

Somebody stole the plate off my motorcycle trailer last year and put it on their travel trailer, he got a ticket in B.C. The police offered to send me the lost or stolen plate, but I had to tell them I had already replaced it through service ontario. They didn't call me to make me responsible for his tickets because he is not my responsibility any more then the next guy that rides dirty.
because obviously you reported it stolen.

if you don't notify the MTO that you've sold your vehicle (i wager 95%+ of people don't) then they won't know it's not in your possession anymore until the new owner changes over the paperwork.

No I did not, didn't even know it was gone.
so you went to get a new plate for the same trailer? no one asked why?

or do they simply not care about trailers.

so you went to get a new plate for the same trailer? no one asked why?

or do they simply not care about trailers.
actually the way it happened was my son in law needed to use it, seen it had no plate and put a new on on it, so I suppose he would have to report it lost, then somebody hung it on their trailer that didn't even meet a close description and drive it across the country.

The guy that sold his motorcycle and got it back is a good example, I doubt he reported it anything.

Today ... while out for a ride ... I saw a black Honda CBR600 or CBR1000 (can't tell which from behind) with no license plate, no rear turn signals, but with mirrors. Rider had bare arms and a T-shirt and running shoes. The under-tail exhaust was a straight pipe, no muffler, and it didn't look like there was any provision at all for having a license plate installed. Things that make you go hmmmmm.

Yeah, no license plate at all is a really good plan for if a cop happens to make the same right turn that I did, to fall in behind.

I'm sure that rider's plan if that were to happen, is to leave the area, quickly.

Good plan, while wearing no gear besides the helmet.

I'm sure that bike had fully legit ownership and insurance. [/sarcasm]

This is what happens to (some) stolen bikes ... or bikes bought without proper paperwork ...

I was also asking this question too about 1 month ago when I sold my bike. I asked at the ministry what I could do as a seller to protect myself and they told me that if the buyer and me signed the ownership that I had nothing to worry about no matter what the other guy does with my bike.

Last edited:
Reactions: LBV
I was also asking this question too about 1 month ago when I sold my bike. I asked at the ministry what I could do as a seller to protect myself and they told me that if the buyer signed my ownership and I also signed it that I had nothing to worry about no matter what the other guy does with my bike.

Yes, and no.

If it's found burned up or is used in the committal of a crime 5 years from now and the "new owner" never bothered to change it into your name, you can expect a visit from the OPP.

There's other scenarios as well that could happen.

Chances are low, but they are there. Which is why taking the process I mentioned in an earlier response about going in a month or three later and ensuring the VIN is no longer in your name anymore isn't an unwise step.

Yes, and no.

If it's found burned up or is used in the committal of a crime 5 years from now and the "new owner" never bothered to change it into your name, you can expect a visit from the OPP.

There's other scenarios as well that could happen.

Chances are low, but they are there. Which is why taking the process I mentioned in an earlier response about going in a month or three later and ensuring the VIN is no longer in your name anymore isn't an unwise step.
Thats what Im wondering, if new buyer doesn't register the bike, who in hell knows that I sold it to him? The minisry has never seen my signed ownership after I sold it.

and you still have not done anything to be liable for. It's all good.
Sold a bunch of old snowmobiles just like that recently.

Must be pandemic effect that people over think everything these days. Sign the back of the ownership ( both parties with actual date). Both of you sign bill of sale with AS IS clearly stated. Write "Paid in full" on the bottom and initial. You are golden. Have beer or few after successful sale and life will be great

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Must be pandemic effect that people over think everything these days. Sign the back of the ownership ( both parties with actual date). Both of you sign bill of sale with AS IS clearly stated. Write "Paid in full" on the bottom and initial. You are golden. Have beer or few after successful sale and life will be great

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
That sounds like a far more typical and amicable motorcycle sale to me.

I had an issue with a car. I sold it to a former boss. The engine was blown and leaking oil like crazy. His family owned a taxi company, they dropped a new engine in it, and abandoned it on the QEW, a couple of years later. I got a call from a towing and storage company, asking for $3,000 in storage fees. According to the cops at the time, you're on the hook, if it's in your name. Best to make the call, and let the Ministry know.

How much was the car actually worth?

Back
Top Bottom