Wheel Balancing | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Wheel Balancing

I bought my own static balancer and redid them myself. I found the shop didn't take off the original wheel weights, he just added to offset the weight. Once I took every weight off the wheel it was in balance.
Just curious, how much weight did you end up taking off?

Just curious, how much weight did you end up taking off?
I don’t recall. Two original ones and 2-3 ones he put on but without the actual weight of each I know that’s not overly helpful.

Back in the day, when I was doing a lot of tire swaps, just for fun I tried balancing the wheel only before doing the tire install.
Surprisingly, most wheels were very, very close.
With quality control on new tires now I would be shocked if you had to put more than 15-20 grams on a wheel/tire assembly.
BTW, yellow dot goes to the valve stem, red dot goes opposite and no dot says it doesn't matter.

Bikes with TPS usually require a bit more weight for the offset of the sending unit.

Some good tire shops use a dynamic balancer for good results.
Electronic/Dynamic balancers are hideously expensive and seem to have gone out of fashion for motorcycle wheels.
Far more useful for automotive applications where 'side-to-side' balancing can make a huge difference.

Back in the day, when I was doing a lot of tire swaps, just for fun I tried balancing the wheel only before doing the tire install.
With quality control on new tires now I would be shocked if you had to put more than 15-20 grams on a wheel/tire assembly.
BTW, yellow dot goes to the valve stem, red dot goes opposite and no dot says it doesn't matter.

Last set I did required about 15 grams on the rear (if I remember right), but no weights on the front.

I might recommend caution when assuming that bolded piece. This is straight from Pirelli:
"Some PIRELLI tyres have a red dot on the side wall. This indicates the lightest point, and should be positioned next to the valve."

Last set I did required about 15 grams on the rear (if I remember right), but no weights on the front.

I might recommend caution when assuming that bolded piece. This is straight from Pirelli:
"Some PIRELLI tyres have a red dot on the side wall. This indicates the lightest point, and should be positioned next to the valve."
No arguments from me - if Pirelli says so then they're correct (at least for their tires).

I bought my own static balancer and redid them myself. I found the shop didn't take off the original wheel weights, he just added to offset the weight. Once I took every weight off the wheel it was in balance.

Static balancer.
Thanks for this. Your symptoms seem identical to mine and I now have over a 1000km on the tires hoping for an improvement that's not happening. I'll follow up to get it resolved.

Screenshot_20230828-083718.pngOn car tires yes. Not on metzeler motorcycle tires.

I've never heard that you line up any dots across from the valve stem, always next to it, which makes sense since there's less room for error. That said, I only just learned there's a difference between yellow and red dots, at least on car tires. I thought it was just whatever colour they chose, and pretty sure I've also seen white, but at least on car tires, they have different meaning (yellow=lightest point to be aligned with heaviest point on rim which is the valve stem, red=highest point to be aligned with lowest point on rim or valve stem if not marked):

Back
Top Bottom