What's real anymore? | GTAMotorcycle.com

What's real anymore?

nobbie48

Site Supporter
According to a YouTube video a couple was scammed out of $100 000 plus by an Elon Musk get rich scheme that was AI generated. It seemed well planned as they took their time grooming the pair to avoid spooking them while figuring out the maximum take.

I recall seeing part of the video and while it looked like Musk something wasn't right. AI is working on that.

We've all seen staged videos designed to get "likes" but technology is outpacing the abilities of a large percentage of the population.

Obviously a lot of the scams are still based on greed, unrealistic ROI's or incredible bargains, "Mint 1962 Corvette $4,000."

Adjusting to life: We used to accept what we were born with. If you were born with a short gene and wanted a job that had a minimum height requirement you walked away. Now you can get your legs stretched by several inches. Unless that's a YouTube hoax.

A relative with a predominant nose was thinking of a nose job. In such cases I wonder what the hubby would think when the kids resembled toucans.

Wag the Dog was a 1997 movie about using CGI to fake a foreign war to hide a scandal at home. 25 + years of CGI improvements would make it more believable.

Don't like your gender? Snip, jab, silicone and some pills. Were the decision stats real or fake? Will the effort make you more popular? Ask Bud Light.

Will AI get to the point where humans lose control either by force or misinformation? Will AI choose our future heads of state?

Obviously a lot of the scams are still based on greed, unrealistic ROI's or incredible bargains

Unfortunately the gullible, greedy, and just plain stupid (sad but true) will always get taken advantage of, and that'll only get worse.

Only the naturally skeptical, and those with the skills to sniff out BS will go mostly unscathed.

In the last 48 hours browsing FB marketplace alone I've seen a number of clear scams, one of the most recent being a motorcycle lift (one of the drill powered ones that lift the bike up 4-5 feet if desired) for $39 with free shipping. The marketplace listing is in the "featured" section (so someone paid to put it there, and apparently FB vetted it, although that's clearly useless anymore) and it link to a "fasterstore99yahyurstupid512.easystore.blah" URL that also looks like a legit website, but cmon, $39 with free shipping? So, only the gullible will get scammed with this BS.

I'm one of the most skeptical people out there and it's served me well. I'm sorry, but you have to be insanely gullible person if you think Elon Musk is really talking to strangers on the internet (your first sign), trying for what sounds like days on end (your second sign) to get you to invest an amount of money that equates to couch-cushion money to him - your third sign.

Sad, but 'grannie' scams are still working.
Talked to a friend recently, they are supers at a 14 floor apartment in Scarborough.
One of their tenants, 88 yo, got a phone call saying it was her grandson in trouble.
Long story short, $8,600 cash was handed to a masked man in the lobby of the building.
There's a special place in hell for these scumbags.

My neighbors been looking at sheds. FB ads $156 delivered from Hamilton It is so fake to me but they can’t stop talking about it. Then my brother in law calls about the windows pop up scam. $999 and they were nice enough to take 3 installments WTF people. Maybe driving a motorcycle makes you smarter overall. Always trying to figure out what stupid things the cagers are going to do next. I know I’m much more aware than non motorcycle people I know. Or I just have really stupid friends and family

Unfortunately the gullible, greedy, and just plain stupid (sad but true) will always get taken advantage of, and that'll only get worse.

Only the naturally skeptical, and those with the skills to sniff out BS will go mostly unscathed.

In the last 48 hours browsing FB marketplace alone I've seen a number of clear scams, one of the most recent being a motorcycle lift (one of the drill powered ones that lift the bike up 4-5 feet if desired) for $39 with free shipping. The marketplace listing is in the "featured" section (so someone paid to put it there, and apparently FB vetted it, although that's clearly useless anymore) and it link to a "fasterstore99yahyurstupid512.easystore.blah" URL that also looks like a legit website, but cmon, $39 with free shipping? So, only the gullible will get scammed with this BS.

I'm one of the most skeptical people out there and it's served me well. I'm sorry, but you have to be insanely gullible person if you think Elon Musk is really talking to strangers on the internet (your first sign), trying for what sounds like days on end (your second sign) to get you to invest an amount of money that equates to couch-cushion money to him - your third sign.
I reported an obvious scam ad (new sectional couch, moving, $200, comments disabled). Facebook reviewed and determined the ad wasn't a scam. Wtaf. Their review program seems to be setup for the most permissive scamming possible. People making fake clone accounts using an existing profile pic are the easiest things for them to kill. They have both pics and your original email, it would be trivial to require authentication from your email address if you created a new account. They obviously have zero interest in reality. They are entirely focused on growth (even if artificial) to fleece investors and advertisers.

I reported an obvious scam ad (new sectional couch, moving, $200, comments disabled). Facebook reviewed and determined the ad wasn't a scam. Wtaf. Their review program seems to be setup for the most permissive scamming possible. People making fake clone accounts using an existing profile pic are the easiest things for them to kill. They have both pics and your original email, it would be trivial to require authentication from your email address if you created a new account. They obviously have zero interest in reality. They are entirely focused on growth (even if artificial) to fleece investors and advertisers.

FB relies insanely too much on AI vs real people. And the real people they *do* have seem to be mostly situated overseas and simply don't seem to grasp the realities of many other areas of the world. They don't underhand that $150 for an item worth $1000 is a scam. They (and the AI) don't understand that someone using the term "b!tch" in a FB group based around discussing dog breeds (for example) isn't an insult but an actual legit term that shouldn't result in a takedown or Facebook jail term.

It goes on and on.

I'm a member of a very private invite only FB group run my FB themselves with strict access to only admins of multiple large FB groups, of which I am. The discussions around the AI and FB's people and systems (but mostly the stupid "AI") getting these sorts of decisions horribly wrong are almost never ending in there.

Sad, but 'grannie' scams are still working.
Talked to a friend recently, they are supers at a 14 floor apartment in Scarborough.
One of their tenants, 88 yo, got a phone call saying it was her grandson in trouble.
Long story short, $8,600 cash was handed to a masked man in the lobby of the building.
There's a special place in hell for these scumbags.
An elderly neighbour got a couple of them.

I wonder what would happen if she played them and when the masked guy showed up grampa turned out to be a cop. Would the police be interested in showing up if called?

There has to be some local connection to have the scammer target only the elderly.

I wonder what would happen if she played them and when the masked guy showed up grampa turned out to be a cop. Would the police be interested in showing up if called?

There has to be some local connection to have the scammer target only the elderly.
Assuming the scammers weren't complete morons, the person at the door should be a paid random. If the cops pick them up, they don't have much beyond some person paid them $50 to make a pickup and they were supposed to meet the person five minutes after the pickup. Hard for cops to get things organized to get further up the trr that quickly. Even getting the bottom person requires police to gaf which is a high bar.

As for targeting the elderly, lots of ways to do that. Phone book is probably the simplest. Odds are good that people listed in there are old.

This has been done a few times, with police getting them right after the pickup.

Many times the person picking up the cash is what they call a money mule and the end scammers are out of country. The mule picks up the cash and takes a small cut for their efforts and sends the lions share to the scammers. The mule will likely have no knowledge of the main people. Some claim they do not even know it is a scam, just some gig economy job collecting cash for services... (I am skeptical this is true but people are dumb).

Adjusting to life: We used to accept what we were born with. If you were born with a short gene and wanted a job that had a minimum height requirement you walked away. Now you can get your legs stretched by several inches. Unless that's a YouTube hoax.

It's not a hoax. I remember seeing a bit on W5 or Fifth Estate about my Ophthalmologist's daughter getting her legs lengthened 30 years ago.

It's not a hoax. I remember seeing a bit on W5 or Fifth Estate about my Ophthalmologist's daughter getting her legs lengthened 30 years ago.

Lowering link.

Or learn to stop with one foot down and the other on the rear brake, like they taught you at Rider Training.

Sorry, are we still talking about motorcycles here...?

They almost got my dad a few years back, CRA scam. His bankers recognized the scam when he went he asked for get $8000 in cash.

These scams were so prevalent when I was at the bank that we would interrogate seniors who were looking for Interac limit increases.

They almost got my dad a few years back, CRA scam. His bankers recognized the scam when he went he asked for get $8000 in cash.

These scams were so prevalent when I was at the bank that we would interrogate seniors who were looking for Interac limit increases.
My bosses mom got taken for $50k. She thought she was helping the government by being undercover someone by buying all these gift cards. Was told to tell the bank she was remodeling her kitchen, and they never questioned the large withdrawals. They had her driving all across town to different stores to get the cards. She would normally visit the office weekly and call daily, during this month or so we hardly heard or saw from her. Eventually my boss got it out of her what was going on.

Cousins MIL thought she was helping with a bank "sting" , dude in parking lot had her convinced a bank teller was under suspicion , go take out a couple thousand and I'll 'hold it' while we investigate . He had her do it three days in a row , he knew enough to always stand outside the cameras at the building . She was on the phone with her daughter telling her it was just like being in a TV show! Catching bad guys. Daughter calls cops, they stake out the building and arrange for her to meet him again. He never shows. She 'only ' lost 6K,

Hey Guys, need some feedback.

Now that my dad is in a LTC home, my mom is by herself.

I received a call from my mom today, saying that Amazon called and that she owes $28k. She is hysterical, but I calmed her down and told her it's a scam.

Does anyone know what to do to protect our parents from scum?

Hey Guys, need some feedback.

Now that my dad is in a LTC home, my mom is by herself.

I received a call from my mom today, saying that Amazon called and that she owes $28k. She is hysterical, but I calmed her down and told her it's a scam.

I'm going through the same thing... the best defense is an open conversation with Mom to let her know the issues.

And it's not just Nigerian Princes, Amazon and the CRA imposters after her money. Last year my elderly mother responded to a 'free inspection' from Enercare. The inspector was an Enercare salesman who looked at the furnace that she has had under a service contract with them since new. He convinced her she'd save THOUSANDS by moving to a hi-efficiency (from her existing 90% to 96%) and eliminate any risk of being poisoned with CO from a 20-year-old furnace. Then he tossed in free duct cleaning, free disposal, no payments for a year, and a promise to have the furnace and AC installed in 48 hours. The contract was just 120 easy payments of $350/mo. Or $42k for no good reason other than a 10% commission.

Another one that ****** me off was a Leggat dealer in the west end. Last week mom took her car in for an oil change, she does it every 5K. The car has <20,000km, and gets it's regular service from the dealer where I bought her the car. Mom calls me to ask whether she should get the 48 month service the advisor is suggesting. She reads me the recommended service from the owners manual:

EVERY 32,000 KM OR 24 MONTHS (whichever comes first)​

Includes 8,000 KM service, plus:
  • Inspect fuel lines and hoses*2
  • Inspect brake lines, hoses and connections
  • Inspect steering operation and linkage
  • Inspect front and rear suspension components, ball joints and wheel bearing axial play
  • Inspect driveshaft dust boots
  • Tighten bolts and nuts on chassis and body
I chuckled and said sure (makes her feel safe). She says yes to the service advisor, and poof $800 bill! Turns out the dealer has their own '48 mo' service recommendations which include flushing brakes lines, coolant, and changing all filters (including the air filters they replaced in October '23).

I spoke to a lot of families that had seniors fleeced when I was a banker -- here's what I'd recommend:

1) Reduce to a single credit card with a $5000 (less if possible) credit limit.
2) Keep 1 chequing account, keep the balance as low as possible. Put the remaining cash into an account that's not easy to access from online banking or an ATM (TFSA, brokerage account, cashable GICs, or an all-to-sign account that has a trusted family member as the added security). You can also ask your bank to remove extra accounts from bank cards and on-line banking so if a bad guy gains access, they can't find the money.
3) Talk to MOM/Dad, and help them understand there are bad folks out there. Raise their awareness, and encourage them to call you when making any unusual purchase or cash outlay over a set number ($500?).

There's one simple thing that's an excellent start - tell her to never accept this sort of thing from someone calling HER.

If she gets a call from her "bank" saying she owes money or whatever...tell her to hang up and either call the bank at the number on the back of her bank card, or go in person, and discuss.

If she gets a call from her "credit card company", same - hang up and call THEM back at the number on the back of the card.

If she gets a call from the "CRA", hang up and call THEM back at the number directly on the CRA website.

ALWAYS verify by making an outgoing call, and NEVER give out any information to anyone on an incoming call - IE your credit card company doesn't need to you to verify your PIN number, they already have it, that sort of thing.

Just basically tell her to NEVER trust an incoming call anymore for ANYTHING as numbers can be faked and social engineering can convince even the most wary that they're talking to someone they're not. Heck, I had a call from the CRA last summer regarding something and I refused to talk to the guy as I had no way to verify it was actually the CRA calling. Instead, I asked for his extension, email address, and then called the main CRA number and called HIM instead - only then did I feel secure he was who he said he was.

In addition to those guidelines, tell her to always contact YOU and ask for help when it comes to anything regarding any sum of money being handled over the phone, including anything that requires her to give out her credit card numbers. It's a hard discussion to have, but reassure her that you're only there to help, not control, but that there's so many scams out there, tell her that you're well informed on how to avoid them.

Last edited:
There's one simple thing that's an excellent start - tell her to never accept this sort of thing from someone calling HER.

If she gets a call from her "bank" saying she owes money or whatever...tell her to hang up and either call the bank at the number on the back of her bank card, or go in person, and discuss.

If she gets a call from her "credit card company", same - hang up and call THEM back at the number on the back of the card.

If she gets a call from the "CRA", hang up and call THEM back at the number directly on the CRA website.

ALWAYS verify by making an outgoing call, and NEVER give out any information to anyone on an incoming call - IE your credit card company doesn't need to you to verify your PIN number, they already have it, that sort of thing.

Just basically tell her to NEVER trust an incoming call anymore for ANYTHING as numbers can be faked and social engineering can convince even the most wary that they're talking to someone they're not. Heck, I had a call from the CRA last summer regarding something and I refused to talk to the guy as I had no way to verify it was actually the CRA calling. Instead, I asked for his extension, email address, and then called the main CRA number and called HIM instead - only then did I feel secure he was who he said he was.

In addition to those guidelines, tell her to always contact YOU and ask for help when it comes to anything regarding any sum of money being handled over the phone, including anything that requires her to give out her credit card numbers. It's a hard discussion to have, but reassure her that you're only there to help, not control, but that there's so many scams out there, tell her that you're well informed on how to avoid them.
It isn't just grandparents getting scammed. If you watch YouTube enough you find that businessmen and computer wise young people get scammed as well.

Have mom and pop over for a night of popcorn and YouTube showing how people get scammed out of savings and even their homes.

The bloodsuckers have no mercy. They will scam a disabled person out of tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars on "Government funded" repairs or alterations that turn out to be owner responsibility, property liened.

Maybe someone could comment on a POA limiting a person's right to sign long term or large amount agreements. They get a modest allowance so they can do a lunch or buy day to day necessities. A large commitment would require a second signature.

This hits a hot button for me because I have a friend who is comprehension challenged. If it wasn't for scammers he'd be OK but due to his naivety he gets suckered by free stuff. Sometimes he calls me too late, like his 15 year tankless hot water contract.

After it got installed he was informed that the warranty was void if he didn't install their water softener at $XX per month for 15 years. Some of that is being resolved favourably in court with several big name companies pleading guilty to various illegalities over the years.

I had to scream obscenities at him when he, living in Mississauga, was waiting for someone to come test his water for free. Plus they would give him a free atlas. Call the guy back and tell him to F himself.

What could the big players do to stop these scams?

The banks:

The banks could issue small limit cards but they don't want to. I never go near my limit but am constantly asked if I want an increase. There are restrictions on lower value loans.

Could the banks have double verification on money withdrawals over a minor amount, say $500? The main account holder would be identified as vulnerable and the POA holder would have to be contacted to confirm authenticity.

Facial recognition at ATMs

The banks don't want it. Banks don't want to see your face. Direct deposit and e transfers make them more profitable. When a client gets screwed the fine print says the client gets stabbed in the back.

The government:

Speed up the court process. If a person or couple goes on an extended vacation they could come back to their home being owned by someone else. After years of litigation and stress it gets settled but they never get their home back.

Immediately throw that back into the face of the people who failed to use due diligence in the transfer. The listing agent, the civil servants processing the paperwork, the notary accepting falsified documentation, EVERYONE gets their ***** kicked within a week. The buyer failed to use due diligence as well so has to move out until the situation is resolved.

For phone scams mandate telephone limits on robo calls.

Make the Do Not Call registry less of a joke. Consider the following:

Assume anyone can ring your doorbell anytime they want and you get hundreds of rings. You get so complacent about it you don't notice that one in ten peek in the window to scope the place out. One in ten of those come back later and break in. If you had a sign "No peddlers" and it was enforced it reduces the risks. Fix the DNC.

Make it a corporate crime to ask unrelated questions on credit card applications.

I recently started an application for a Costco credit card, thinking it would be convenient to tap and pay for gas.

I understand that a credit application requires divulging one ability to pay but I didn't expect to be asked so many questions that Costco would know more about me than my mother. If Costco security got breached my personal information is on sale on the dark web. NO thanks to Costco cards.

Family

Drop in on aunt Agnes more often, not just at Christmas. Have a cup of tea with her and see if she hears about any bank scams, especially the ones she is supposed to keep secret because she is helping the bank find a dishonest teller.

What do you do about mentally challenged people?

We don't like the term retarded anymore but, ignoring political correctness, here goes.

My "comprehension challenged" friend would have in former years been called a bit retarded. Forget the PC semantics. He is. A 15 year old can't be held to a signed contract so why is a challenged adult?

How does the salesman know the difference? Tough luck if he doesn't. If it wasn't a scam it wouldn't make a difference.

Rant put on pause for the moment.

Back
Top Bottom