What would you pay... | GTAMotorcycle.com

What would you pay...

lol, thanks for the offers but I'm not selling as I don't have one. Just wondering if anyone would consider buying a bike with that many km (specifically ss) and what people would consider it to be worth.

lol, thanks for the offers but I'm not selling as I don't have one. Just wondering if anyone would consider buying a bike with that many km (specifically ss) and what people would consider it to be worth.

Well then.....

if your mechanically inclined and can do some wrenching go for it, if not.....well you need to have deep pockets to have someone help you in fixing it and or making sure it's working right

I bought a couple of old bikes and restored them, sold one, still have one, and both run just great, but it took a year of restoration for each, a good chunk of change, but it was fun and I can still ride one today as I kept it....

as for what to pay for what your after, sorry couldn't tell you, just based on year and mileage.....it's why I offered a hundred bucks....

Thanks for the replies. I've been looking at mid 2000 ss bikes, no particular make as long as it's one of the big four (but my preference does lean to the cbr). I'm looking at something with low km around 10k but it got me thinking... IF a higher mileage bike has been very well maintained would I consider buying it and for how much. So I threw it up here to get some opinions of others.

So 2005 SS with low km?

12 year old bike?

Bout 4000. That's what I'd pay.

In case you're budget-constrained and in case you haven't already done so you might also adding the cost of insurance and tires (etc) to your budget.

40K for a 10+ year old is NOT high mileage, i'd be more worried buying a 10+ year old bike with 5K on it
have someone check it out for you if you don't know what to look for, as long as maintenance was done on it and it hadn't been crashed too bad I wouldn't be worried.
as far as what its worth, it all depends on the condition its in, and what others like it are going for

if a 12 year old bike has 10k on it, that means it was ridden on average 830km per season, I don't know anyone who rides that little, a lot of people do that on a Sunday ride. So chances are its been sitting a lot, and if that's the case i'd want to know if its been stored properly which is rarely the case

Last edited:
...for a well maintained mid 2000's 600 supersport with 40,000km?

"Well maintained" being the operative phrase I'd next move to a simple formula of 1/3 value of b/n in todays dollars. I just made that up but it just feels right because I posted at 4:20.

Last edited:
3500-4000 for a bike in good condition. I'd have zero concerns about the mileage as long as it was maintained.

As others have mentioned, High mileage is usually the least of your concerns.

Proper Maintenance, Proper Storage and Regularly Ridden are the 3 things most important things .

If its been sitting long or often, probably not good.

40K for a 10+ year old is NOT high mileage, i'd be more worried buying a 10+ year old bike with 5K on it
have someone check it out for you if you don't know what to look for, as long as maintenance was done on it and it hadn't been crashed too bad I wouldn't be worried.
as far as what its worth, it all depends on the condition its in, and what others like it are going for

if a 12 year old bike has 10k on it, that means it was ridden on average 830km per season, I don't know anyone who rides that little, a lot of people do that on a Sunday ride. So chances are its been sitting a lot, and if that's the case i'd want to know if its been stored properly which is rarely the case

I got in about 450km last season on my bike. Too busy with work/family to get out on a real ride. My ride to work is about 10km and almost not worth getting geared up for the quick jaunt.

I got in about 450km last season on my bike. Too busy with work/family to get out on a real ride. My ride to work is about 10km and almost not worth getting geared up for the quick jaunt.

Ok.......where are you going with this?

I have less than 12 km round trip to work and back home, but I will get on the bike each and every chance I get....even for that little bit....all combined sad too say but only got about 1200 km last season...

hope to get in some more this year...

Whoa... I've never been under 10k a season, and some of the guys around here do that in a month.

95% of my rides are just city jaunts and I still manage over 3k kms a season. 7k last year.

Y'all need to get rid of your cars, join in on that bike life.
depom.gif

Op you haven't given many details, but before you consider ANY SS, as suggested you may want to call for a general insurance quote, (doesn't matter what bike you end up getting), in the end at least you'll have a generalized idea pick say two of the models you would consider, then add the year say 2005, then let them figure out the rest, it won't be an exact quote but should be within a few hundred to a $1,000.

If your say 19 with an M1 or M2, you may find yourself considering a completely different type of bike once you get a quote. If on the other hand your mid 40's with 10 years of continuous bike insurance, with a clean record, you should be ok with the quotes

thanks for all the replies. hedo i was 19 many years ago, lol. I love all the input and personally wasn't against 40k on a bike but wanted to get others opinions. $4k on the high end for a very well maintained bike is what i felt was reasonable, but only if very well maintained. i also like the points about old bikes with low km, my sv needed carb rebuild etc after sitting too long before I got it. otherwise it's been a great bike though

Back
Top Bottom