What would YOU do? | GTAMotorcycle.com

What would YOU do?

STaylorT

For the 2nd time this summer, I've seen a parked bike on its side with the owner nowhere around. I'm guessing someone either hit it while failing to park, or some drunk idiot knocked it over. (one of them was on a side walk close to entertainment district).

What would be the right thing to do?

Pick up the bike and leave a note or something? No one wants to be in a rush home, and have to deal with a flooded bike.

Leave the bike where it is on its side?

What would YOU guys/gals do?

Would you want someone you don't know picking up your bike if it was dropped? Even with the potential if it accumulating even more damage from a second accidental drop etc..

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345677339.923650.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345677339.923650.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:
I'd pick it up....right thing to do.

Agreed, pick-up and leave a note if possible. I would hate to see my bike knocked over/dropped and left that way.

That pic though... it looks as though the owner may have parked it in such a spot that it was in the way of pedestrian traffic. I wouldn't be surprised if someone was ****** off and knocked it over as a result -- still doesn't justify doing so though.

My bike got knocked over today - had i not known, and it would have been on the ground for a while, i wouldn't mind if someone was to lift it up. If i came across them lifting it, i would like to think i could tell they are sincere when they are telling me they found it on the floor.

My bike got knocked over today - had i not known, and it would have been on the ground for a while, i wouldn't mind if someone was to lift it up. If i came across them lifting it, i would like to think i could tell they are sincere when they are telling me they found it on the floor.
And here lies the problem. You go to pick it up, some raging d****ebag sees you 'helping' and blames you for the damage. Then there's the other problem of doing more damage while picking it up. I've never had to pick a bike up, and I don't want to practice my technique on someone else's bike. I'll help anyone if they're there and want it, but won't force aid on anyone. The damage is done already, does it matter if it's done and standing or down?

It's not my property, I don't want to be accused of touching / damaging someone else's bike.

This is just what I would do. Not necessarily what others should do.

Yeah. I hear both sides. And that's the issue. Some people would be greatful if someone helped. Others would prefer you to leave it on the ground.

The last bike I saw, I stared at it for the longesttttt time TORNNNN on what to do. I personally have owned 2 biked. CBR 125, and a Ninja 250, both very light. I have no practice in picking up bikes, not to mention heavier bikes. So I decided to leave it. It hurt my heart though. Lol. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345698815.667485.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345698868.545841.jpg

I'm sure most people would love to lend a helping hand and pick up a fallen bike, unfortunately in today's society it's not that easy anymore. By doing that you run the risk of being blamed for many things, just imagine getting screwed over for trying to help someone lol.

I'm sure most people would love to lend a helping hand and pick up a fallen bike, unfortunately in today's society it's not that easy anymore. By doing that you run the risk of being blamed for many things, just imagine getting screwed over for trying to help someone lol.

Great attitude.

I suppose you'd walk by a car with a kid in the back seat roasting in the sun as well because, you know, don't want to be blamed for anything or accused of molesting a kid. And if someone is laying on the sidewalk with a knife in them and bleeding all over, just walk on by. Don't want to try to stop the bleeding and save their life, someone might think you stabbed them, after all.

Gotta love people. Christ.

I would say pick up the bike and leave a note. If you do get hassled, just explain, I think its a better attitude to help and risk getting some blame than doing nothing at all.
Heck we ride motorcycles that can kill us if we make a stupid mistake, getting blamed initially is the least of your worries. Its not going to kill you so who cares, do the right thing and lend a hand. You never know who is watching and will see your example as the tipping point in their mind that will push them into helping others.

I'd want to help. But what is the best way to help?
it varies from situation to situation.

The person also needs to know that their bike has been down and may be compromised.
The best way to do that is to leave it down. There are some that wouldn't notice, and would hop on and ride, if you were to pick their bike up for them. They might see your note as it flew over their shoulder on the highway.

There are also bike that fall down because the side stand melted into the asphalt. Would you pick one of those up, and allow it to happen again? Would you do it if there was a tin can nearby? Would you leave a note?

For a fallen bike with a tip sensor. Does the sensor reset after a period of being upright? Or would a person coming back to a righted no damage tip, have a non functioning bike, and no clue as to what is wrong?
Do you carry a waterproof pen, paper and tape with you everywhere to leave a note?

it varies from situation to situation.

I would say pick up the bike and leave a note. If you do get hassled, just explain, I think its a better attitude to help and risk getting some blame than doing nothing at all.
Heck we ride motorcycles that can kill us if we make a stupid mistake, getting blamed initially is the least of your worries. Its not going to kill you so who cares, do the right thing and lend a hand. You never know who is watching and will see your example as the tipping point in their mind that will push them into helping others.

Just make sure you have the note written before any attempt to pick it up. That way if you get 'caught' you have the proof in hand that you didnt knock it over......hopefully.

I personally would love to pick up the bike although after having a court case brought against me for trying to help previously during an accident for damage I refuse to do it anymore. Sucks cause I feel bad and some schmuck ruined my good warm heartedness.

I'm sure people want to know so here is the deal:

I came across a rolled over vehicle with two occupants in the middle of the winter. Clearly they had hit ice and traveled through a ditch and rolled over/into a fence and ended up in the farmers field. I pulled the two occupants out of the vehicle after assessing the risk of the cold vs injury and provided shelter until emergency services responded. I thought all was good and but 3 weeks later I received a registered letter requesting payment for the damaged fence even though I had nothing to do with damaging it. Ultimately I had to get a lawyer involved and lost some work time.

In a life and death situation will I help? Most definitely however any other time it's a tough call and I will treat it on a case by case basis. Here is some pics as everyone likes those. I obviously took them after while I was letting my adrenaline cool down before continuing my drive to work.

img0489cv.jpg

img0490rh.jpg

That pic though... it looks as though the owner may have parked it in such a spot that it was in the way of pedestrian traffic. I wouldn't be surprised if someone was ****** off and knocked it over as a result -- still doesn't justify doing so though.

From the pic which shows where the left mirror landed (on the street) and where the tires and kickstand are situated (over and on the sidewalk) that'd be a safe bet. i.e that it was in the way of pedestrian traffic.

I'd pick it up as soon as I saw it.
If the owner coincidentally happens to be coming back to his bike whilst I'm picking it up for him and blames me for knocking it over in the first place, well, too bad.

Just make sure you have the note written before any attempt to pick it up. That way if you get 'caught' you have the proof in hand that you didnt knock it over......hopefully.
good idea. and also maybe also take a time-stamped picture of the fallen bike with cell phone camera and wait 5 minutes before touching the bike.
In summary, CYA helping made easy:
1. take a time-stamped picture of fallen bike,
2. spend a few minutes writing the note
3. lift the bike
4. leave note on bike

Last edited:
I personally would love to pick up the bike although after having a court case brought against me for trying to help previously during an accident for damage I refuse to do it anymore. Sucks cause I feel bad and some schmuck ruined my good warm heartedness.

Seriously? Thats realy messed up can i ask who brought the damages to you was it the fence owner?

Seriously? Thats realy messed up can i ask who brought the damages to you was it the fence owner?

It was back in 08 but if I remember correctly it was actually an insurance company not sure if it was the property owners or the people who owned the vehicle.

I don't think a rider would blame you if you're on your bike also. The chances of a bike knocking over a bike are very slim in comparison to all the horrible cage drivers out there. If I was on my bike, I would help out but in my cage, I would not take the chances of getting blamed.

Back
Top Bottom