What will happen if you don't pay a speeding ticket in another province or teritory?? | GTAMotorcycle.com

What will happen if you don't pay a speeding ticket in another province or teritory??

zakarov

what will happen if you don't pay a speeding ticket in another province?
Let say you go to Montréal, get a speeding ticket and decided to never pay it. What next?

Ps: I know there’s a convention between Ontario and few provinces including Quebec and NY. But those conventions don’t include money, but only driver's license demerit points.
Source: SAAQ (societe d'assurance automobile of Quebec)

Thanks</SPAN>

Let say you go to Montréal, get a speeding ticket and decided to never pay it. What next?

Ps: I know there’s a convention between Ontario and few provinces including Quebec and NY. But those conventions don’t include money, but only driver's license demerit points.

Thanks</SPAN>

Your car may be towed when you next go to Quebec? Its a good question actualy see what some of the pros say.

Thanks

Those agreements include demerit points, money, and suspensions for failure to pay.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...s-with-Ontario&p=576106&viewfull=1#post576106

Will they ever suspend your license for out of province non payment?

You'll defnitely be convincted in absentia. How that affects you in Ontario I don't know but, considering this is within Canada, I would treat it as I would a local ticket.

Thanks, that was interesting.
I'm still not convinced about the money collecting reciprocity.!!! it can be too costy to colect a 200$ fine.

Why do you think that? It's all spelt out and the exchanges can be handled electronically. All that they have to do is flag your driver's license and plates, for non payment, and deny you a renewal next time you go in. Their net cost to enforce is virtually nil, over and above normal procedure.

Why do you think that? It's all spelt out and the exchanges can be handled electronically. All that they have to do is flag your driver's license and plates, for non payment, and deny you a renewal next time you go in. Their net cost to enforce is virtually nil, over and above normal procedure.

I know a case of a close person that never paid her Quebec ticket of 385$ 149 on a 100 zone. She got her 4 demerit points off and back (2 years later) without paying any cent. Weird?, yes it is! That’s why I wasn’t and am not convinced about the money but only points.
Another question: for how long they can keep track of your bill?</SPAN>

I know a case of a close person that never paid her Quebec ticket of 385$ 149 on a 100 zone. She got her 4 demerit points off and back (2 years later) without paying any cent. Weird?, yes it is! That’s why I wasn’t and am not convinced about the money but only points.
Another question: for how long they can keep track of your bill?

They have the ability to request remission. That doesn't meant they always do.

For as long as they can track local bills; virtually forever.

Last edited:
There was an article about this at lcn.canoe.ca a few weeks ago saying that it was more expensive for cities to search for us than just let the guy go without paying his ticket. If I ever get a ticket in Québec I'll try it and tell you my experience ;)

Another question: for how long they can keep track of your bill?</SPAN>
Yes I too agree my friend got a ticket of 404 for 158 speed in a rental car but got his license renewed without paying a cent

Thanks, that was interesting.
I'm still not convinced about the money collecting reciprocity.!!! it can be too costy to colect a 200$ fine.
It was a 200$ fine, once you fail to pay it the price goes up! Next comes an independent collection agency and reports to credit bureau.

Did you realize your vehicle insurance underwriter takes your credit rating into consideration when you are purchasing insurance? Because they do!

It was a 200$ fine, once you fail to pay it the price goes up! Next comes an independent collection agency and reports to credit bureau.

Did you realize your vehicle insurance underwriter takes your credit rating into consideration when you are purchasing insurance? Because they do!
Isn't this illegal in Ontario?

Isn't this illegal in Ontario?
What part?
The legal ramifications you can find on government hosted web pages. To the part about good credit rating reducing your insurance costs: That was straight from the mouth of the pretty lady that tells me my insurance rates and takes my payments.
... was it illegal for her to give me a discount based on my good credit rating :/ do you think they would have done it if it was?

add: he stipulated it was a speeding ticket which is a moving traffic violation, not a parking summons. With one they have your driver license and insurance papers on record, the other is against the vehicles plate # which might even be a rental or borrowed vehicle.

Last edited:
What part?
In Ontario, as well as in Newfoundland and Labrador, it is unlawful for an insurance company to use your credit score when underwriting auto insurance. The factors used include your accident history and criminal convictions, but your credit score has no influence on their rates.

Ontario law bars companies from using credit ratings to help set insurance premiums, but doesn’t address other possible applications.

lol They were Not using my credit history to dispute a claim, nor were they prying into any information that I would not want them having, they offered me a small discount based on good credit! If they want to do that I have no problem with it, would you?

lol They were Not using my credit history to dispute a claim, nor were they prying into any information that I would not want them having, they offered me a small discount based on good credit! If they want to do that I have no problem with it, would you?
i was simply responding to your comment, i don't have a horse in this race.

Back
Top Bottom