What was the the biggest waste of money you ever spent on your bike? | GTAMotorcycle.com

What was the the biggest waste of money you ever spent on your bike?

killerkeith

I've just spent almost $1500 in accessories for my Ninja 250 this year (exhaust, Givi topcase with Admore LED, more LED lights, touring windscreen and other crap). Not counting the $1000 in accessories I spent for a different Ninja 250 I owned and sold 3 years ago.

$2500 in Ninja 250 crap for 2 bikes...let that sink in for a minute...WTF is wrong with me?

An engine that cost me $4500 to rebuild only to have it blow up after 40 laps because the valve springs were switched around. Another $4000 later and it's ready to rock. Oh the bike was 8k when I bought it and I got one season out of it before the first boom.

I have lots of tales like this with the 1969 Chevelle I owned for 11 years. I have not wasted too much money of my UJM. On gear though I have bought crap I should have either waited and bought better stuff in the first place or done more research first.

An engine that cost me $4500 to rebuild only to have it blow up after 40 laps because the valve springs were switched around. Another $4000 later and it's ready to rock. Oh the bike was 8k when I bought it and I got one season out of it before the first boom.

Damn! :eek:

Why don't you ride nicer. Sheesh lol

Oh, I've made missteps along the way. Usually mods and farkles (FMF PowerBomb like wtf?) that didn't match the minds eye. Ordered 2 custom spoked wheels from West Coast, delivered 1 wrong but usable size and accepted it only to re-order correct size, so 3 wheels bike only needs 2.

$180 ish on H-E-L brake lines that shipped from the US, made it to my door, then made the trip back again to the seller where I presume they remain to this day, with my money.

I wanna be mad about my Daytona T595 (the whole bike), as it burned money like the sun fuses hydrogen, but I have to be honest with myself that it was a miracle that I sold it for what I did with the problems that it had (that I was upfront about)

I've just spent almost $1500 in accessories for my Ninja 250 this year (exhaust, Givi topcase with Admore LED, more LED lights, touring windscreen and other crap). Not counting the $1000 in accessories I spent for a different Ninja 250 I owned and sold 3 years ago.

$2500 in Ninja 250 crap for 2 bikes...let that sink in for a minute...WTF is wrong with me?
i have to ask, why another 250cc?

Damn! :eek:

Why don't you ride nicer. Sheesh lol

Lol ya the first boom was an extra downshift. That was the straw that broke the crank bearing. Live and learn, a used SBK motor needs to be rebuilt unless there's recipts showing it's age.

I try not to think about how much I spend. Selling the current bike. Already got $1000 for the aftermarket parts I had on it to give perspective.

Do I really need 5 bikes plus a van for hauling them around?

Ummm ... Yes.

building a project and going a different direction.

Bought used fancy aftermarket foot pegs for $200. Could've bought new CNC nicer ones for $230....

Rebuilt front forks and decided to go a different route

Getting ****** powdercoating done on some parts (looks like the guy smoked a few joints beforehand) and not noticing until 6+ month later after the project got stalled.

Buying brake parts, but decided to go with another manufacturer later. return parts and surprise the company has no record of receiving them since the postal office effed up and sent them surface (no tracking) instead of air.. Lost my shipping receipt as well. All I know they have my parts and my money (over $300).

Buying OK gear and only upgrading the next year for better.OK gear ie. joe rocket is worthless on selling used. btw selling a joe rocket radar(leather hybrid) size 48 w/o liner for $100. However I am in Kingston.

Last edited:
Some of my best rides have been on a 250. I love maxing out this bike.
not what i was getting at, i guess i worded it wrong.
why not keep your old 250 and add something different? i mean how much have they changed between years?
nothing wrong with a 250, thats not what i was getting at....in fact, nothing wrong with any bike as long as you like it.

not what i was getting at, i guess i worded it wrong.
why not keep your old 250 and add something different? i mean how much have they changed between years?
nothing wrong with a 250, thats not what i was getting at....in fact, nothing wrong with any bike as long as you like it.

No problem....I'll explain. When I started riding it was on a 125cc. I got my wife into riding using this bike. After my first year I moved up to the Ninja 650 which my wife crashed and was scared to ride afterward. I compromised and got the first 250 so she's get back into riding. She rode it once and gave up riding for good. I only had this bike a couple months but I was able to take her down to Deals Gap for an awesome week of riding. I sold the bike after putting pirelli tires, yoshi exhaust, and some other engine tweaks on her and got a Versys. After a year with the Versys (which was going to be my forever bike) I lost my job and had to sell her for family survival. Once I got back on my feet again I could only scrape together a few thousand and the best deal I could find was a showroom condition 2009 Black Ninja 250 with 2000 km. If I hadn't rode the wheels off my other one I might have passed and save up more money, but I know this bike has real game and will make a great commuter this year for my new gig. Last year I discovered the 250's second use. My 7 yr daughter is really small and she loves going on rides for ice cream. She was a great little passenger last year, but as we discovered at the bike show this year, the 250 is one of only a handful of bikes she fits on comfortably. So instead of shelling out big bucks for a new forever bike she can't fit on yet, I gave my co-pilot a nice back rest so we can go a little faster off those red lights.

My 1992 GSXR1100 was in the shop having a 1216cc big bore kit installed along with other work which I had already paid for when the shop was burglarized, and my bike and engine were among the victims of theft.

So I think that was a fairly big waste of cash.

wow this thread is full of pain :S
biggest waste for me was:
buying a full yoshimura exhaust for my bike, only to endup selling the bike 1 month later, and selling my full system for nearly half the price

other than that occasion, ive been fairly good :)

If you ask my wife, over the past three years of riding every penny I've spent on this "Motorcycling" hobby is a waste! :)

No problem....I'll explain. .............
ah ok, glad to hear you are back on your feet. didnt have to get into that kinda detail.either way any bike sure beats a buss pass.
except a ebike....unless you are a college student, i totally woulda rocked a ebike in college....12 yrs ago...
i useto ride 49cc mini bies around town with my college buddies, had to keep 2 or 3 spare bikes because there was always 1 or 2 broken down and someone else always wanted to join.

wow this thread is full of pain :S
biggest waste for me was:
buying a full yoshimura exhaust for my bike, only to endup selling the bike 1 month later, and selling my full system for nearly half the price

other than that occasion, ive been fairly good :)
yup, aftermarket exhaust is a crapshoot.
i bought a Akra slip on, and now to make it a full system i either haveto sell it or buy arrow headers that cost almost a grand in canada because akra headers wont match up with their own slip on.
if i had stock exhaust right now ide buy a full yosh...but i dont so i ordered the titanium arrow headers.
when i go to sell im gona pull the exhaust off and sell it with stock exhaust. ill have close to a $1800 system that im not just gona give away.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom