What type of fuel do you use? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What type of fuel do you use?

What type of fuel do you use?

• Ethanol-free PON 91+ (Shell, CT and etc.)

Votes: 23 42.6%
  • Premium 91

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Mid-grade 89

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Regular 87

Votes: 18 33.3%
  • Diesel

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
I don't think so. All fuel regardless of octane rating ignites a few degrees prior to the piston reaching Top dead center when the spark plug fires as determined by the ignition timing. If the fuel ignites prior to the spark plug firing, you have a problem. When a gas is compressed, as it is in an engine, it gets hotter. In a high compression it could get hot enought to pre-ignite. Octane raises the tempurature of when the fuel will burn therefore preventing pre-ignition. That is its only purpose.
If your engine only requires regular gas, but it runs smoother on premium, perhaps the engine has built up carbon deposits on the pistons or the combustion chamber raising the compression. Or worse, a carbon hot spot which acts like a glow plug in a diesel causing detonation. (very bad) This is only likely in an engine with a oil burning problem or an overly rich fuel ratio. Modern engines are pretty well built these days, so that extra smoothness from premium may just be imaginary.

Some have mentioned that premium gives better mileage. Thats possible with premium fuel which doesn't contain alcohol. Alcohol create less energy than gasoline when it burns and so it produces less horsepower. How measureable this would be I don't know.

Ahh...so ignition retardation is not a thing then? It is by the way.

Not sure we need another thread on this when your other one has plenty of discussion on the issue already.

Use the minimum octane your bike calls for. Unless there's performance upgrades that require it or it calls for high octane from the factory, anything more is flushing money in the toilet, and some bikes will run worse on higher octane fuels if they are designed for lower - My VTX is a perfect example - poor performance and terrible fuel economy on 91 vs 87.

As for ethanol, I'm not going to retype everything I posted in the other thread. Short version: Most bikes will be fine with it in the summer unless you're a once a month rider. Don't store your bike with it in the tank over the winter. Don't let it sit.

The end.

What oil do you prefer? I am buying a new bike. What colour makes it go faster. Where can I buy blinker fluid. My bike sits at Timmies all Summer, what doughnuts are best. Should I buy a bike to kick start or is a button preferred. What question is a good question to ask. What is this thing you speak off that helps me to look for information on this site. Please help I can not read or speak Henglish. What is a color.

What oil do you prefer? I am buying a new bike. What colour makes it go faster. Where can I buy blinker fluid. My bike sits at Timmies all Summer, what doughnuts are best. Should I buy a bike to kick start or is a button preferred. What question is a good question to ask. What is this thing you speak off that helps me to look for information on this site. Please help I can not read or speak Henglish. What is a color.

Motorex oil
Orange
I run dry blinkers for weight savings
Boston cream
Button always button

I compromise and use Shell Silver 89. (5% ethanol). The last couple of fill ups before winter i use Shell 91 (no ethanol)
One thing about vehicle manuals tho. They always say to use XX octane minimum. So would say to use minimum 87 but do
not say to not use a higher octane.

I want a puppy.

Back
Top Bottom